Transmission fluid you use that IMPROVED shifting over stock

Which transmission fluid have you used in your T56 with better shifting noticeable

• GM SynchroMesh

Votes: 160 30.7%
  • Amsoil ATF

Votes: 27 5.2%
  • Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF

Votes: 74 14.2%
  • Royal Purple SynchroMax

Votes: 100 19.2%
  • Castrol Syntorq

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 158 30.3%

• Total voters

redstaf426

Established Member
So...The majority of you out there are using the friction modified GM synchromesh or the regular??Also,do y'all still pore in half a bottle of the friction modifier along with the friction modified or non friction modified synchromesh??

NOGM4ME

Wasted Rock Ranger
Established Member
redstaf426 said:
So...The majority of you out there are using the friction modified GM synchromesh or the regular??Also,do y'all still pore in half a bottle of the friction modifier along with the friction modified or non friction modified synchromesh??
I used the GM non synthetic in mine with the friction modifier. I can only say I wish I had done this along time ago. Hard to believe fluid can make that much of a difference. It does though.
GM synchromesh regular part# 12345349 with Motorcraft XL-3 friction modifier
GM synchromesh synthetic part# 12377916 with Motorcraft XL-7 friction modifier
4qts of synchromesh and half(2oz) of the modifier to do the job. Cost me $34 for everything(I work in a GM dealership). About $45 retail for the non synthetic. about $52 retail for the synthetic stuff. Either combo works fine. hope this helps those contemplating the switch :-D

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
or you can get pennzoil synchromesh for manual trannys, i hear it's the same as GM Synchromesh and the price is $22 bucks for 4 quarts at autozone

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
I called tremec today and spoke with a tech guy he said that the dexron3 is what they recommend however you can run the gm synchromesh no friction modifier I have also been told this by a ford mechanic stay away from the friction modifier. penzoil is the same as gm http://www.stealth316.com/2-pennzoil-synchromesh.htm

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Any possibility of the GM syncromesh voiding tranny warranty? I may be wrong, and I don't want to start a rumor, but I seem to remember a few guys with GM syncromesh complaining of broken transmissions. Possibly coincidence...

EDIT: This didn't stop me from ordering the GM syncromesh non-synthetic part number 12345349 from http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/synchromesh.htm, and the ford motorcraft friction modifier XL-3 from http://www.shopdiesel.com/index.cfm/action/sitemap.htm

Hope these addresses help. I may have paid a slightly more, but it's all about convenience.

Last edited:

RJCobra

Established Member
Service Topic

Here's a copy of the service topic that Tremec sent me:

Service Topics Number: 2-03

Date:
March 14, 2003

Subject:
Recommended Fluids

Transmission Models Affected:
All

Due to various synchronizer materials used in TREMEC transmissions, and different climates and applications, no one single fluid will work for all transmissions. For example, fluids that are high in sulfur content may damage the surface of brass blocker rings found in many transmissions, while some oils may damage the bonding material used in carbon fiber papers. Heavy weight oils generally provide better lubrication to bearing surfaces; however they may cause harder shifts, particularly in cold weather.

Recommended oil change intervals should be based on specific usage. In most cases a “fill for life” is adequate, while in severe applications such as drag racing, or road racing a more frequent fluid change should be prescribed. Excessive heat will cause most fluids to breakdown and ultimately cause damage to the transmission. The transmission should be filled through the fill plug located on the side of the transmission. Proper fill level is achieved once the oil reaches the fill hole. Recommended fluids by transmission model are listed below:

TR-3550 / TKO
GM Synchromesh has proven to provide the best performance for these transmissions, which use brass synchronizers.

T-5, T-56, TR-3650
These transmissions use a combination of brass, carbon fiber and paper-lined synchronizers. An ATF fluid such as Dexron III will provide the best results.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
RJCobra said:
Here's a copy of the service topic that Tremec sent me:

Service Topics Number: 2-03

Date:
March 14, 2003

Subject:
Recommended Fluids

Transmission Models Affected:
All

Due to various synchronizer materials used in TREMEC transmissions, and different climates and applications, no one single fluid will work for all transmissions. For example, fluids that are high in sulfur content may damage the surface of brass blocker rings found in many transmissions, while some oils may damage the bonding material used in carbon fiber papers. Heavy weight oils generally provide better lubrication to bearing surfaces; however they may cause harder shifts, particularly in cold weather.

Recommended oil change intervals should be based on specific usage. In most cases a “fill for life” is adequate, while in severe applications such as drag racing, or road racing a more frequent fluid change should be prescribed. Excessive heat will cause most fluids to breakdown and ultimately cause damage to the transmission. The transmission should be filled through the fill plug located on the side of the transmission. Proper fill level is achieved once the oil reaches the fill hole. Recommended fluids by transmission model are listed below:

TR-3550 / TKO
GM Synchromesh has proven to provide the best performance for these transmissions, which use brass synchronizers.

T-5, T-56, TR-3650
These transmissions use a combination of brass, carbon fiber and paper-lined synchronizers. An ATF fluid such as Dexron III will provide the best results.
Too bad they don't say anything specific about the GM synchromesh being able to cause damage to our T-56s. Funny that people have had good results with it, but I wonder if it is doing damage over time to the synchros or other parts inside.

RJCobra

Established Member
Here's some correspondence with the RP people. Starts from the bottom up. I may give it a try.

Ray,

RP Synchromax is a fully synthetic product having the viscosity of an atf which will give you good low temperature shift qualities. It has a low temperature pour point of -40 F.
Depending on where you are located, winter shift qualities in manual transmissions can change drastically regardless of fluids if you live in an area of extreme cold (consistently below 0 degrees F) and the vehicle is stored outside. Note - wind chill temperatures have no effect on lubricants.

The ambient temperatures would have to be consistently below - 25 F for the Synchromax to start being an issue. Those types of ambient temperatures do not occur routinely in 95 % of North America.

Rubber shifter bushings, shift cables all can effect how a vehicle shifts at extreme low temperatures.

Due to the high film strength technology built into the Synchromax, noise reduction is a typical observed improvement by most users converting from a Dexron ATF or GM Synchromesh to our RP Synchromax.

Here is a quote from an end user that was received 7/13/05 via email
"Hi, I just changed my transmission fluid (NV-3550) and transfer case fluid (NP-231) on my 2001 Jeep Wrangler to Synchromax.First off My transmission has never sounded so quiet. And their is a definite improvement in shifting. I cant wait until winter to see how good it works for cold shifting." Thank You, Rob

Thanks for the emails and give us a try - I'm confident that you will see / feel the difference.

David

David Canitz
Tech Services Manager
Royal Purple Ltd
1 Royal Purple Lane
Porter, TX 77365
281-354-8600 x202
281-354-7335 fax
713-725-7207 cell
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2005 11:34 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: RP Synchromax

Thanks for your replies. I think the problem was that I changed to the Redline in the wintertime. Will the RP shift harder in the winter than the Dexron III?
The RP should also help to make the tranny quieter, correct?

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2005 11:05 AM
Subject: RE: RP Synchromax

Ray,

On the T-56, we do not recommend adding the friction modifier to our Synchromax.

If you are not satisfied with the straight Synchromax (I doubt that you will) but shift quality is a subjective thing - I would suggest that you try it without and only add the friction modifier if you feel that the shift quality is not what you desire. You appear to be more sensitive to some shift characteristics such as notchiness than most other drivers.

Cheers and thanks for using RP.

David

David Canitz
Tech Services Manager
Royal Purple Ltd
1 Royal Purple Lane
Porter, TX 77365
281-354-8600 x202
281-354-7335 fax
713-725-7207 cell
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 8:30 PM
Subject: Re: RP Synchromax

So it shouldn't need the friction modifier that alot of guys are using with Synchromesh?

Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 8:30 PM
Subject: RE: RP Synchromax

Ray,

RP Synchromax is the correct and recommended product for your T-56. It has the viscosity similar to that of an atf but the load carrying ability of a gear oil so you get the best of both worlds. Great smooth improved shift quality and reduced wear and operating temperatures due to the high film strength technology.

The GM Synchromesh, first made by Texaco and now Pennzoil is basically an atf and being a factory fill, is typically sold on a bid process to the OEM's.

We do not have the problem with the material swell due to using synthetic hydrocarbon based synthetics rather than POE such as a Redline product. Tremec knows of our product but we do not have a chance to be a factory fill option due to the cost of the product.

Cheers,

David

David Canitz
Tech Services Manager
Royal Purple Ltd
1 Royal Purple Lane
Porter, TX 77365
281-354-8600 x202
281-354-7335 fax
713-725-7207 cell
[email protected]

Cc: [email protected]
Subject: RP Synchromax

Trying to detrermine if the Synchromax is ok to use in my car. Its a 2003 Mustang Cobra with the T-56 6-speed transmission. The Tremec people won't recommend anything but the Dexron III. They say the synthetics will swell the material in the blocking rings and cause damage. I have tried Redline ATF but it seemed to create harder shifting which resolved after I chaged back to Dexron.

Would I need any of that friction modifier with the RP?
How does Syncromax differ from the Penzoil or GM Synchromesh?

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Just added the GM syncromesh and ford friction modifier. Shifts smoother than whatever was in there last (I assume stock). Not night/day difference that I have to come rant and rave about, but it is a little smoother. I'm still a little worried about the stuff not being Dextron III ATF compliant or whatever, and the possibility of it doing damage. How often are you guys replacing the syncromesh?

swami

Established Member
Clay,

Texaco’s DEXRON III / MERCON Spec ATF is TREMEC’s recommended fluid for this application.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 4:36 PM
To: Jeff Chytil
Subject: Re: Fluid

hi jeff,

i read at the svtperformance forum that you all recommend mobil1 for the 2003 cobra t-56 tranny. i would prefer to use synthetic dexron III; what brand is recommended? TIA

clay russell

winchester, va

Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 12:18 PM

Subject: Fluid

Clay,

Thank you for your interest in the TREMEC brand product. Our recommended fluid is DEXRON III / MERCON Spec ATF. In 2001, Ford was using the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in the TREMEC transmission and it was discovered that this was causing shift ability issues. If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me.
Tremec told me to use:

swami

Established Member
hey guys FYI this is what i was told by jeff chytil from Tremec via email. there is sure a lot of conflicting info about "what worked well for me" and what is recommended by the people that designed and built it?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
well im still using the stock stuff and wont change it till after the warrenty period

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
I just changed mine to the GM stuff and Ford Friction modifyer(sp?) Tranny shifts about the same under normal driving but hard driving shifts way better than before. I just poured the whole bottle of modifyer in my tranny. Bad? It seemed to quiet the tranny down alot.

P.S. The old fluid was NASTY for a car that is only 3 years old it was black as hell.

Last edited:

Alex Kovacevic

stock03
Established Member
It's funny, I used to make fun of people at the track that shifted really slow. Then when I got my cobra I became one of those slow shifting people. It was so hard and notchy. I changed the fluid with sycnhromax by RP and it made a world of a difference. Now I can power shift the car easily[I still won't though] So much easier to shift. I've had it in my car for a year now, over 50 passes down the track, and 46,000 miles later my tranny still shifts like a hot knife through butter. Royal purple synchromax gets my vote for sure.

prttyboyfloyd

Established Member
Anyone ever hear of BG syncroshift. They use it at some dealers when they do tran flushes on manuel trans'. Not sure if anyone here ahs used it in the t56 or if they liked it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread