Transmission fluid you use that IMPROVED shifting over stock

Which transmission fluid have you used in your T56 with better shifting noticeable

• GM SynchroMesh

Votes: 160 30.7%
  • Amsoil ATF

Votes: 27 5.2%
  • Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF

Votes: 74 14.2%
  • Royal Purple SynchroMax

Votes: 100 19.2%
  • Castrol Syntorq

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 158 30.3%

• Total voters

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Funny, I got on here to start a thread about how notchy and unimpressed I am with the T56. Then I found this thread. Needless to say I have some GM synchromesh on the way and I'll wait on talking trash about the T56 for now.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Well, after a couple hundred miles of driving I'm sorry to say the GM synchromesh made no noticable difference. But honestly I didn't expect much, this trans only has about 1,500 miles on it anyway.

However, I am having some clutch cable issues, so I'm upgrading the quadrant and adding a firewall adjuster in the next couple days. I'm hoping that will improve things.

Drewzilla

Established Member
Figured Id bring this thread back. Awesome info on here. I think I'm gonna go with the syncromesh tomorrow. I just recieved my Fiore quadrant and firewall adjuster so why not go ahead and put some new fluid is as well. I dont like the notchy shifting under WOT.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
After you do that, don't be surprised if your trans shifts worse.

within a few days of running the synchromesh I promptly drained it and put the ATF back in. My trans got so notchy I thought I was going to destroy it with the synchromesh. Atleast I can shift it again with the ATF.

Have at it, but it was a waste of $40 and some time for me. Do the firewall adjuster and quadrant first, I think you'll get the biggest improvement from that. Once I did the quadrant/adjuster in mine (after the fluid fiasco), I was more than happy with how it shifed. Hind sight I guess...

Drewzilla

Established Member
eh...maybe I'll just try the quadrant and adjuster first. You're right. If I dont need to spend 40 bucks, then why do it? I'll see how it goes though. It's been really cold lately so I hope I can cope with the weather and put it in tomorrow or Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread