Transmission fluid you use that IMPROVED shifting over stock

Which transmission fluid have you used in your T56 with better shifting noticeable

• GM SynchroMesh

Votes: 160 30.7%
  • Amsoil ATF

Votes: 27 5.2%
  • Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF

Votes: 74 14.2%
  • Royal Purple SynchroMax

Votes: 100 19.2%
  • Castrol Syntorq

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 158 30.3%

• Total voters

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Pick which transmission fluid you use in your T56 that has improved shifting over the STOCK ATF fluid that you have had in your transmission for at least 1000 miles with NO problems.

I will not be including Redline D4 ATF or Redline MTL in the poll because it has been proven to swell the carbon rings.

Check out this information on a Firebird FAQ about the T56:

http://www.cnyfirebird.com/showArticles.asp?ID=15

"THE Word" on 1998-2002 Manual Tranny Lubricant
The question about whether one should run synthetic ATF or even a non-ATF gear lube in the f-body's Borg-Warner/Tremac 6-speed tranny has been bouncing around. Mark DeCarlo, co-organizer of CNYF, has tracked down the answer. Mark reports....

"I spoke with the T-56 expert at Tremec. He said that the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is an excellent choice for the T-56, PROVIDED that the T-56 is a 1997 model or newer.

DO NOT run the synthetic ATF in the pre-1997 T-56 units. It will destroy the paper on the blocker rings. And do not run it in a manual trans with brass blocker rings either, because it will ruin those also.

Tremec changed the blocker rings to the carbon fiber type for the 1997 model year and synthetic ATF will not degrade these.

I asked about the GM SynchroMesh and he said it was good, but not quite as good as the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. The SynchroMesh fluid comes in the Tremec 3550.

He said you should have no problems running the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in the T-56.

Notice how I keep saying "Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF". He said stay away from the other aftermarket racing type synthetics, as they have extra additives that can degrade components.

I asked about the Castrol Syntorq gear lube. He said you could use it (and they used to in the Viper), but you will encounter hard shift in cold weather and cold clash.

I asked if GM would honor the warranty if something were to happen to the trans while the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF was installed and he said they would.

But the one thing I would like to point out; just because a bottle says that it supercedes a different product, doesn't make it necessarily so. If someone had grabbed the bottle of synthetic ATF and read that it meets and exceeds all dino ATF specs; and then installed it in their pre-1997 F-body, it would have ruined the box. So don't believe everything you read."

Last edited:

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
Red Line works great, tried Mobil 1, still shifted hard cold, 1st to 2nd.

and who said that redline is hard on the rings?

Last edited:

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
Originally posted by 03 COBRA SB
and who said that redline is hard on the rings?

everybody i know of who has had it. i believe im going to leave mine alone, i think the stock stuff is good for now.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I used Amsoil and am not impressed especially for the $10.00 a quart. I'm going to change back to stock. I don't think the engineers are that poor at picking the correct fluid.

NightEnforcer

Established Member
I changed from stock to Redline. Not much differenece. Changed again to GM Synchromesh---BIG DIFFERENCE. Shifts much smoother in all kinds of temps.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I ended up going with the Royal Purple Synchromax. Night and day difference over the stock ATF.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
Amsoil ATF works like magic.
I have never driven a better tranny since.

It's good when cold, and shifts like butter when warm.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I have D4 and shifting at first was better, but I can no longer slam shift 3 it blocks everytime. I am switching back to stock stuff after the stuff Tremec said about using non Dextron III fluids screwing up the rings.

Users who are viewing this thread