Ticking sound on 2013 boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

86Fbody

Established Member
Yeah IMO would say that sounds right since it is going from idle with very little air, and then you are opening the TB from basically closed.

Korbin_Dallas

Established Member
Mine has the ticking too but now that I find out it's just the AC belt, I'm probably not going to get it "fixed".

86Fbody

Established Member
Mine has the ticking too but now that I find out it's just the AC belt, I'm probably not going to get it "fixed".

If I have read correctly if it's the AC belt stretching then it can be causing piston slap that will damage the cylinder walls and the rings.

OrangeCompete

Roadrunner
Established Member
I will also add that my A/C compressor locked up and I had the whole system replaced so this may explain my lack of ticking at this point.

XTC

Established Member
My 2011 gt had this issue and ford had my car for 17 days. they gave me a revised timing cover with an added idler pulley and belt tensioner for the AC belt. Problem solved!! I haven't had the tick since.

78f0ea03.jpg

1533030e.jpg

Did not have change to read entire thread. What is that additional tensioner they put on? Part number?

rosem32

Established Member
Long story short, my tick came back, Ford admitted that they use Motorcraft XL-17 to quiet the noise. You have to go to the dealer to order it, they are usually out of stock as they use it on many Mustangs. It costs around 30 bucks or you can use Restore 4 cylinder with an oil change and that will work to quiet the noise as well.

If you have transmission issues...lol...they make a XL-19 IIRC to help with that as well. Neither will hurt your car, just make it much quieter to drive downtown unless you smash the pedal to the floor. It sucks to have people watch you because your car sounds like its bouncing tiny ball bearings around...lol.

Ford20, Dang man...is that when your engine went?

ford20

Established Member
Long story short, my tick came back, Ford admitted that they use Motorcraft XL-17 to quiet the noise. You have to go to the dealer to order it, they are usually out of stock as they use it on many Mustangs. It costs around 30 bucks or you can use Restore 4 cylinder with an oil change and that will work to quiet the noise as well.

If you have transmission issues...lol...they make a XL-19 IIRC to help with that as well. Neither will hurt your car, just make it much quieter to drive downtown unless you smash the pedal to the floor. It sucks to have people watch you because your car sounds like its bouncing tiny ball bearings around...lol.

Ford20, Dang man...is that when your engine went?

Yes sir! I knew that the motor was toast long before I made the video.

So I guess there isn't really a solution to the tick, just to use the XL-17 with every oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread