Ticking sound on 2013 boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

torkey

Established Member
any updates to this? I also have the tick that goes away the second the AC is shut off. Would have to be something belt or AC compressor related no??

86Fbody

Established Member
any updates to this? I also have the tick that goes away the second the AC is shut off. Would have to be something belt or AC compressor related no??

Could just be the extra load on the engine, especially if it is on while the car is still warming up, does the ticking every get better once the car is warmed up (maybe 10-15 minutes after start up)?

torkey

Established Member
Could just be the extra load on the engine, especially if it is on while the car is still warming up, does the ticking every get better once the car is warmed up (maybe 10-15 minutes after start up)?

The opposite, actually. It only ticks when the AC is on an the car is at operating temperature.

NJSP117

Established Member
I notice a faint ticking as a load is being put on the motor, but it goes away as soon as more load is added. I think it's normal...it's not a knock...similar to an exhaust leak, but quieter.

86Fbody

Established Member
I am wondering too if people forget that this car has much less sound deadening and no under coating so we are going to hear more noise that usually you might not be used to.

xero187

Got my 2013 Boss back from the dealer.

The unusual ticking has been documented and the high level engineers at Ford are "investigating."

This occurs after the engine is warmed up, A/C on or off, noticed below 3000rpm.

It is frequent. It is annoying.

It is NOT because the pistons are forged.

86Fbody

Established Member
Have you taken off the rubber that covers the injectors? I had noticed that my tick may have been the injectors, since removing the rubber sound deadening it has gotten a little louder.

vfast

Established Member
no way would you need an oil additive on a 2013? i wonder what kind of oil filter was used? 5w-50 oil wow you don't need a 50 wt oil

I checked the oil level when I first bought the car checked it there at the dealership. Checked around 700 miles everything still looked normal, and the day I took it to get the oil change done I watched them as they did the oil change nothing unusual. I was contacted today that they were gonna put additive kalled Xl-17 in it tomorrow. So will go tomorrow Morning to see what's up.

Thanks for the compliment X yeah that color is a real eye popper

torkey

Established Member
Mines been at the dealer the past two days for the same. Noticed the same...only happens when engine warmed up AC doesnt have to be on as I thought...found out with any little bit of load it does it....its f***ing annoying.. They ordered the parts to I guess replace the belt and timing belt cover and whatnot (sounds like an old TSB). Im sure its not going to fix it but I guess we'll see....this ford escape is such a pile of shit lol....

NJSP117

Established Member
Mines been at the dealer the past two days for the same. Noticed the same...only happens when engine warmed up AC doesnt have to be on as I thought...found out with any little bit of load it does it....its f***ing annoying.. They ordered the parts to I guess replace the belt and timing belt cover and whatnot (sounds like an old TSB). Im sure its not going to fix it but I guess we'll see....this ford escape is such a pile of shit lol....

Let us know what they do to try to fix it. I notice the tick, but it doesn't seem to be bothering anything....and it's under warranty, but I am really curious as to what it is...

torkey

Established Member
The only thing is that its so intermittant. Its really irregular. Wouldnt a valve/drivetrain tap be more rhythmic? Idk just putting it out there. I have little faith in the dealer finding/fixing the problem.

86Fbody

Established Member
I wonder if like Xero said, who had posted a sound clip but I must have over looked it, that it could be the timing chain tensioners not being tightened. Or possibly the chain guides, which might be why MMR has billet ones made?

Sniper342

Established Member
2011 Mustang GT 5.0 engine tick - YouTube

Thats identical to what mine sounds like.

I have this tick also. Some call it the "igniter" tick. Only when warm, noticeable up to about 2000 rpm. Doesn't seem to follow any pattern or rhythm. Can get it revving the engine in neutral or with clutch in, but seems to be more likely under load, such as when rolling out in 1st. Seems like a number of coyote 5.0 Mustangs have it also, here's the longest related thread I've found:

Poll: Does your 2011 5.0 have a "tick" between 800-2000 rpm after fully warmed up? - Page 36 - Ford Mustang Forums

My car is running strong, and if anything seems to run stronger the more miles I put on it. I just really wish Ford would figure this out once and for all, seems like there's still not a definite answer on it based on the searches I've done.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Got my 2013 Boss back from the dealer.

The unusual ticking has been documented and the high level engineers at Ford are "investigating."

This occurs after the engine is warmed up, A/C on or off, noticed below 3000rpm.

It is frequent. It is annoying.

It is NOT because the pistons are forged.

My 2011 gt had this issue and ford had my car for 17 days. they gave me a revised timing cover with an added idler pulley and belt tensioner for the AC belt. Problem solved!! I haven't had the tick since.

78f0ea03.jpg

1533030e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread