Ticking sound on 2013 boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Did they determine then that it was an issue with the timing chain?

No they replaced everything from the water pump to changing everything under the timing cover and it still did it. Then the day ford was going to send in an FSE. Ford called and says we have just released a tsb for adding a new timing cover with provisions for adding a tensioner and pulley for the ac belt to eliminate the stretchy belt. Once they did that. Problem gone.

Last edited:

torkey

Established Member
No they replaced everything from the water pump to changing everything under the timing cover and it still did it. Then the day ford was going to send in an FSE. Ford called and says we have just released a tsb for adding a new timing cover with provisions for adding a tensioner and pulley for the ac belt to eliminate the stretchy belt. Once they did that. Problem gone.

This is awesome. Gives me a little hope lol. Do you know which tsb it was? I would like to see if my dealer does it.

torkey

Established Member
awesome thanks. The service advisor told me they ordered parts but couldnt confirm what (just said timing cover and a belt or something) and was unsure of which TSB they were using...smh. Going to call me tomorrow with the number. Glad they are paying for the rental lol

torkey

Established Member
Picked car back up today. Tick seems to be gone. Pretty stoked. They did do a TSB but wouldnt say which because it wasnt a TSB that covers the 2013 cars but the ford hotline told them to do it and it apparantley worked. It included as stated as another above: belt, timing cover, and crankshaft seal. Knock on wood the car drives/sounds great and the exh baffles are finally removed as a celebration haha. Just in time for a couple car shows this weekend (weather permitting).

Tank5879

Established Member
Can you post part numbers from the repair order?

03kevo

Established Member
Mine ticks since installing the procharger and full exhaust, but probably exhaust leak.

Jroc

Established Member
Forged motors are just kind of noisy. Plenty of new Terminator owners have made threads asking if they had the well known head tick or a burnt up piston when it was just normal noise. Both my L and Terminator have noisy motors. I'm sure GT500's are the same.

NJSP117

Established Member
Picked car back up today. Tick seems to be gone. Pretty stoked. They did do a TSB but wouldnt say which because it wasnt a TSB that covers the 2013 cars but the ford hotline told them to do it and it apparantley worked. It included as stated as another above: belt, timing cover, and crankshaft seal. Knock on wood the car drives/sounds great and the exh baffles are finally removed as a celebration haha. Just in time for a couple car shows this weekend (weather permitting).

Wow! Nice! I have a faint tick as well, but I'm hesitant to have them tear the front of the motor apart for a new timing cover if there is no concern of damage and it's just a new tensioner on the timing chain....

torkey

Established Member
Can you post part numbers from the repair order?

Sure. Im going to take a shot at these numbers from the invoice. May be a couple extra characters in here.

1- CR3Z*8620*AA= Belt
1- BR3Z*6019*G = Cover-cylinder front
1- XW4Z*6700*AA= Seal Assembly- Crankshaft oil- FR

Wow! Nice! I have a faint tick as well, but I'm hesitant to have them tear the front of the motor apart for a new timing cover if there is no concern of damage and it's just a new tensioner on the timing chain....

Yeah, I was hesistant at that though. But it was driving me crazy hearing that tick when creeping around. Now that its resolved, time to hit up a few car shows! lol.

Tank5879

Established Member
That's the numbers from the tab referenced earlier, belt, timing cover and crank seal. Interesting because that tsb is for 2012 models, wonder if they will update it to include 13s. Nice to see they didn't use the xl 17 additive that has been discussed on other boards. It's interesting that a belt issue makes a sound which almost sounds like an internal engine noise

NJSP117

Established Member
That's the numbers from the tab referenced earlier, belt, timing cover and crank seal. Interesting because that tsb is for 2012 models, wonder if they will update it to include 13s. Nice to see they didn't use the xl 17 additive that has been discussed on other boards. It's interesting that a belt issue makes a sound which almost sounds like an internal engine noise

Is it a belt sound? I thought the tick was related to the timing chain, no? Or is it the tensioner that makes the tick? Thought I read somewhere else that it was the timing chain tensioner that wasn't tight....

rosem32

Established Member
That's my post on the other thread. Ford Customer Care said it is most likely the tensioner TSB. I spoke to another guy on the forum and he has a 2013 with the same noise. The dealership performed the TSB, no more noise for him. Mine gets fixed on Tuesday.

I was half tempted to put in the XL17 but didn't. :)

NJSP117

Established Member
That's my post on the other thread. Ford Customer Care said it is most likely the tensioner TSB. I spoke to another guy on the forum and he has a 2013 with the same noise. The dealership performed the TSB, no more noise for him. Mine gets fixed on Tuesday.

I was half tempted to put in the XL17 but didn't. :)

Do you know the TSB number on that? I may run it by my dealer and see what they think...thanks!

rosem32

Established Member
Do you know the TSB number on that? I may run it by my dealer and see what they think...thanks!

TSB 12-1-10 5.0L WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSION AND A/C COMPRESSOR STRETCHY BELT CONFIGURATION - LIGHT LOWER-END ENGINE KNOCK

Some 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine, manual transmission and air conditioning (A/C) compressor stretchy belt configuration may exhibit a light lower end engine knock most noticeable when engine temperature is warm and the vehicle is at idle.

If you have a new timing cover they will use this procedure 120110A 2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L Manual Transmission: Diagnose, Install New A/C Compressor Drive Belt Idler Pulley, Tensioner, And Belt Includes Time To Reprogram The PCM And Perform Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.0 Hr. -> They are using this on the 2013's now with the revised front engine cover.

120110B 2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L Manual Transmission: Diagnose, Install New Engine Front Cover, A/C Compressor Drive Belt Idler Pulley, Tensioner, And Belt Includes Time To Reprogram The PCM And Perform Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 5.4 Hrs. --> Mustangs with the older cover.

These are the parts that are replaced if needed.
CR3Z-8620-AA Kit-Drive Belt - Boss
BR3Z-8620-DA Kit-Drive Belt - GT
BR3Z-6019-G Front Cover
XW4Z-6700-A Crankshaft Seal - Front

NJSP117

Established Member
TSB 12-1-10 5.0L WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSION AND A/C COMPRESSOR STRETCHY BELT CONFIGURATION - LIGHT LOWER-END ENGINE KNOCK

Some 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine, manual transmission and air conditioning (A/C) compressor stretchy belt configuration may exhibit a light lower end engine knock most noticeable when engine temperature is warm and the vehicle is at idle.

If you have a new timing cover they will use this procedure 120110A 2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L Manual Transmission: Diagnose, Install New A/C Compressor Drive Belt Idler Pulley, Tensioner, And Belt Includes Time To Reprogram The PCM And Perform Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.0 Hr. -> They are using this on the 2013's now with the revised front engine cover.

120110B 2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L Manual Transmission: Diagnose, Install New Engine Front Cover, A/C Compressor Drive Belt Idler Pulley, Tensioner, And Belt Includes Time To Reprogram The PCM And Perform Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 5.4 Hrs. --> Mustangs with the older cover.

These are the parts that are replaced if needed.
CR3Z-8620-AA Kit-Drive Belt - Boss
BR3Z-8620-DA Kit-Drive Belt - GT
BR3Z-6019-G Front Cover
XW4Z-6700-A Crankshaft Seal - Front

Thanks for the info! Still have reservations about them taking the front of the engine apart if it's not going to cause anything more than a slight tick....but good to know nonetheless....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread