Ticking sound on 2013 boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkfist4.6

Established Member
So today I noticed a ticking sound coming from the driverside of the engine. What I'm wondering is is this a normal sound that happens after awhile or is there something wrong with my engine already. It's not really a knocking sound and it's not a consistent tick that would make me beleave that there is something wrong with the cylinder heads already. My car only has 1800 miles on it and I just swapped the oil out at 1500 miles lastweek. I guess what I'm asking is has anyone had this problem already and if so can it be fixed any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
many have posted a ticking noise after an oil change, what oil did you change to?

stinkfist4.6

Established Member
The dealer that I bought the car from is where I got the oil change done at and they put 5w50 full synthetic motorcraft

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
The dealer that I bought the car from is where I got the oil change done at and they put 5w50 full synthetic motorcraft

Did you check the oil level? I have heard some crazy things at dealerships with to little or even to much oil....

PS GHIG Boss looks sweet!!!

stinkfist4.6

Established Member
I checked the oil level when I first bought the car checked it there at the dealership. Checked around 700 miles everything still looked normal, and the day I took it to get the oil change done I watched them as they did the oil change nothing unusual. I was contacted today that they were gonna put additive kalled Xl-17 in it tomorrow. So will go tomorrow Morning to see what's up.

Thanks for the compliment X yeah that color is a real eye popper

IamRacerX

Established Member
Keep us posted!! Hope is fine!!:beer:

stinkfist4.6

Established Member
As of Tuesday afternoon when I got the car back I have only heard the tick once after that and has not been heard since, the only thing that was done to the car was they added that
Xl-17 additive in it. I'm still dissapointed in the whole outcome of the experience with my car but for now I'm just gonna enjoy it till the next oil change and see whats up.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Ok, this morning I noticed a tick at cold start. It went away after about 30 seconds of idleing. Is this what you are experiencing?

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Ok, this morning I noticed a tick at cold start. It went away after about 30 seconds of idleing. Is this what you are experiencing?

Doubt it. Sounds like he had what others have experienced. The sound is usually not audible upon cold starts, seems to happen between 1500-2000rpm, more audible under load while at full operating temp. I describe it as more of a "tap/internal rattle" as tick seems to broad and if often misdiagnosed by owners.

Swetrid

Established Member
Ford has a Special service message out about normal engine noise, might be this.
21874 BOSS 302 ENGINE RATTLE OR RAPPING TYPE SOUND.
SOME 2012 BOSS 302 MUSTANGS MIGHT EXHIBIT A RATTLE OR RAPPING TYPE SOUND DURING COLD ENGINE TEMPERATURE OPERATION AT LIGHT LOADS AND SPEEDS FROM 1000 - 3500 RPM. THIS SOUND IS CAUSED BY THE PISTON MOVING FROM ONE SIDE OF THE BORE TO THE OTHER AT TDC. THIS IS AN INHERENT CHARACTERISTIC OF THE FORGED ALUMINUM PISTONS AND THE COMBUSTION DYNAMICS CAUSED BY THE HIGH FLOW CNC INTAKE PORTS. ONCE THE ENGINE REACHES OPERATING TEMPERATURE THE SOUND WILL NO LONGER BE AUDIBLE. THERE ARE NO DURABILITY CONCERNS WITH THIS SOUND.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 09-MAY-2011

bull3441

Established Member
You guys never had forged pistons huh? Let the car warm up till it comes to normal idle or at least till the tach needle starts dancing.

bull3441

Established Member
I only would hear the sound warmed up at idle And would go away while being under load
That is the typical 4v tick, search if you like but it's normal. Some are louder than others but Ford will tell you it's normal.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
Mine has it. I just posted about this today and then I saw this thread. My car has only 1200 miles. Hit the rev limiter a few times by mistake and thought I might have done something. Guess it's normal. Freakin ticking. Hate it.

justthebest

Driving like it's my job
Established Member
To the OP - I'm pretty sure the Boss supplement clearly says no additives are necessary / recommended. Why did they add it?

xero187

Thought I'd add to this.

2013 Boss 302 build date in May

Random engine ticking. RPM influenced but not dependent, quite random.

Currently has been at the service center for a week. They are uncertain and have been conversing with Ford engineers.

Perusing youtube I found this video with similar sounding ticking.

2012 mustang gt "tick" - YouTube

and this one as well. although it sounds slightly different perhaps because of the camera mic.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 engine tick - YouTube

In the second video toward the end of the comment section it was mentioned by the owner that it was the timing chain tensioners?

Anyway we'll see.

This is my first Ford and a pricey one at that. The fact that it is being so heavily molested urks me. :-(

BOSS1651

Established Member
Although I've only had my Boss for a little over a week, I've noticed the same ticking noise coming from the drivers side of the engine. After some trial and error I found it only "ticked" when the air conditioner was on....didn't matter wether the vehicle was hot or cold. Turn the air conditioner off, the ticking stopped. Don't know if this helps, but I'm going to ask my dealer to check it out.

86Fbody

Established Member
I have this too but as stated above in most cases it is caused by the forged pistons, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread