Those with Boss IM and 90mm TB Come In

SteveC

Established Member
8E4FC3CE-FBD1-4889-9FFC-2BA8E5412D3F.jpg
"]http://
8E4FC3CE-FBD1-4889-9FFC-2BA8E5412D3F.jpg
[/URL]
Here is the 90 MM template.
PM me your addresses and I will ship out. I made 3..

That looks awesome! PM sent.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Any updates for this? I received my template from grabberblumaico, thanks man!

I'm still debating on it just because of the 90mm tuning issues. I'd really like to keep my AED tune, really don't think losing AED as a tuner for it is really worth it.

I love the idea of a 4.5" intake the 90mm TB (cleaned up to outflow the accufab 84.5) and opening the plenum side to 90mm with a paper gasket.

A paper gasket should hold no problem. Unless you starting to throw boost at it then may be an issue. But look at all the previous year cars. My 2v had a paper gasket between the throttle body and upper plenum. Boosted too at 13psi no issues. The upper plenum into the Intake manifold was O ringed. But aftermarket intakes for those cars (p51/Logan/Reichard racing etc) all used a paper gasket as well.

So there really shouldn't be an issue. Just figuring out a thickness I guess?

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Any updates for this? I received my template from grabberblumaico, thanks man!

I'm still debating on it just because of the 90mm tuning issues. I'd really like to keep my AED tune, really don't think losing AED as a tuner for it is really worth it.

I love the idea of a 4.5" intake the 90mm TB (cleaned up to outflow the accufab 84.5) and opening the plenum side to 90mm with a paper gasket.

A paper gasket should hold no problem. Unless you starting to throw boost at it then may be an issue. But look at all the previous year cars. My 2v had a paper gasket between the throttle body and upper plenum. Boosted too at 13psi no issues. The upper plenum into the Intake manifold was O ringed. But aftermarket intakes for those cars (p51/Logan/Reichard racing etc) all used a paper gasket as well.

So there really shouldn't be an issue. Just figuring out a thickness I guess?

I got mine too. As you can see, it bolts right up perfectly and will be a great guide…it will also be a perfect template for the paper gasket…Thanks Bill!!! :beer:

I'm going to do this and open the inlet up to 90mm, but retain my Accufab 84.5mm TB for now….so basically all I will be accomplishing as far as air flow goes is the removal the fins, removal of approximately a mm of "obstruction" material at the inlet, and some smoothing/blending of the castings as far back as I can reach….Will it help?…maybe….but I have bigger issues… I have the worst CAI for a "Max Effort" Boss intake….JLT.

The JLT's do neck down to about 72-75mm at the TB, but mine (Body Color Painter Version) is pretty thick in the area where it necks down….I might be able to take a large flapper wheel and open it up out closer to 80+mm. I have to take a closer look at it and see where and what the diameter changes to when it starts to narrow, and see if its even worth it to do that over changing to the Airaid altogether.

Here's the template..I know it doesn't look centered. Its just bolted up loose for the pic. There is just enough play built into the bolt holes that allow you to move it so that it is centered. Once centered, it can be secured.

IMG_1120_zpsada44ec2.jpg

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
I got mine too. As you can see, it bolts right up perfectly and will be a great guide…it will also be a perfect template for the paper gasket…Thanks Bill!!! :beer:

I'm going to do this and open the inlet up to 90mm, but retain my Accufab 84.5mm TB for now….so basically all I will be accomplishing as far as air flow goes is the removal the fins, removal of approximately a mm of "obstruction" material at the inlet, and some smoothing/blending of the castings as far back as I can reach….Will it help?…maybe….but I have bigger issues… I have the worst CAI for a "Max Effort" Boss intake….JLT.

The JLT's do neck down to about 72-75mm at the TB, but mine (Body Color Painter Version) is pretty thick in the area where it necks down….I might be able to take a large flapper wheel and open it up out closer to 80+mm. I have to take a closer look at it and see where and what the diameter changes to when it starts to narrow, and see if its even worth it to do that over changing to the Airaid altogether.

Here's the template..I know it doesn't look centered. Its just bolted up loose for the pic. There is just enough play built into the bolt holes that allow you to move it so that it is centered. Once centered, it can be secured.

IMG_1120_zpsada44ec2.jpg

Looks great, fits up beautifully.

I bet you could find someone to trade that 84.5 for a 90mm TB.

Who is tuning your car?

Also, consider talking to Drew about a custom 4.5" intake? Look how much the CJ intakes pick up with a 4.5 or 5" intake vs an off the shelf JLT one. I know it's not apples to apples, but still a decent comparison

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
Looks great, fits up beautifully.

I bet you could find someone to trade that 84.5 for a 90mm TB.

Who is tuning your car?

Also, consider talking to Drew about a custom 4.5" intake? Look how much the CJ intakes pick up with a 4.5 or 5" intake vs an off the shelf JLT one. I know it's not apples to apples, but still a decent comparison

Im in the process of doing LT's and obviously work on the intake. I have a Bama tune to get me running once I'm done, but I will be going with an AED tune to get it dialed in….especially if go to work on the JLT.

I'm at a disadvantage going into uncharted territory since I have no baseline to compare any results I get, so Im hesitant on going with a custom CAI….I know ultimately, the set-up, in theory, will benefit from a larger CAI if we take what we learned with the CJ…..IDK, Im gonna run by the garage and pick up my JLT today and make a decision on what Im going to do with it.
I was thinking of cutting a 90mm piece of plastic and sending it through the JLT tube from the filter (wider) end, to the point where it stops, which will tell me exactly where the thing starts necking down….I have a couple ideas. I'll post up what I find and what I'm thinking later.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Got ya. Good deal, I look forward to seeing man!

Just a heads up, AED will not tune a 90mm TB(remotely for sure, maybe he is able to on the dyno) I don't think many tuners will. Maybe you can find tuner that's not as good to do it, but will most likely have drivability issues.

SteveC

Established Member
I'm still waiting for mine, hopefully it comes today or tomorrow. As for the 90mm, I remember someone saying that BBR tuned for it and they didn't have any problems. I'm still debating once my 90mm TB comes in whether I'm going to keep it or turn around and try and sell it (got it as a package deal with a PJ airaid intake), mostly because I might go with FI eventually (Paxton) and the big TB won't fit anyway.

Posted via Topify on Android

SteveC

Established Member
I am curious though if the tuners would have better luck on a dyno vs remote tuning. I plan on taking my car to Pro-Dyno down my way. If I stay on this route I'll have to let you know how the driveability is afterwards.

Posted via Topify on Android

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
Got ya. Good deal, I look forward to seeing man!

Just a heads up, AED will not tune a 90mm TB(remotely for sure, maybe he is able to on the dyno) I don't think many tuners will. Maybe you can find tuner that's not as good to do it, but will most likely have drivability issues.

Yup…thats why I was hesitant on going with a 90mm and influenced my decision to pick up an Accufab.

I sent Drew an pm about doing a custom CAI. He said he would. I still want to take a few measurements off my JLT first.

Voltwings

Established Member
Its just dbw load and rpm scaling is it not? Having messed with Drive-by-wire throttle bodies on previous cars, its certainly not easy, but it is doable. I dont understand how they can have a Massive monoblade work flawlessly, but the 90mm gives them trouble? Unless of corse the issue is with the TB itself, and not a tune/parameter issue.

I know Shaun is a great tuner, and when the time comes his tune will be on my car, im simply looking for some more understanding here...

Edit: Before we get too sidetracked with this, can @Shaun@AED set us straight?

edit - edit ... how the hell do you mention people on this forum?

Last edited:

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
Its just dbw load and rpm scaling is it not? Having messed with Drive-by-wire throttle bodies on previous cars, its certainly not easy, but it is doable. I dont understand how they can have a Massive monoblade work flawlessly, but the 90mm gives them trouble? Unless of corse the issue is with the TB itself, and not a tune/parameter issue.

I know Shaun is a great tuner, and when the time comes his tune will be on my car, im simply looking for some more understanding here...

I wonder the same thing about the tuning of the monoblade. There must be some issue that the 90 presents…Hopefully Shawn can shed some light on it.

SCalla1384

Established Member

Edit: Before we get too sidetracked with this, can @Shaun@AED set us straight?

edit - edit ... how the hell do you mention people on this forum?

This ain't Facebook, can't tag people! Lol

SteveC

Established Member
Where was the template shipping from? You guys got yours about two days ago and I still don't have mine. I wouldn't think DE to SC would take that long but NC just got hammered with some bad weather so perhaps it is stuck in transit.

Users who are viewing this thread