Those with Boss IM and 90mm TB Come In

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Lookin forward to results...Thinking of getting an accufab for my new boss setup...

Instead of re-typing, I copied this from another thread….cause I'm lazy lol….Anyway, intake and CAI is on and hope to get a base tune from Shaun today.

….I went back and forth trying to decide if I should dump the coin on a CJ set-up. If I didn't already have a Boss, I might have, but after seeing the threads pop about how getting more air (4-5" CAI + Mono-blade TB) into the intake seemed to be the key to the CJ making more power over the Boss, it got me thinking, why not get more air into the Boss and see what happens. Im a realist and know that a max-effort Boss will not make as much power as a properly done CJ set-up, but if I could get it damn close without spending any money, why not try it first and give us guys who already have a Boss an alternative…..So I modified my JLT intake (cut out the narrow section, and replaced it with a 4" 60 degree elbow), added an Accufab TB, port matched, smoothed, and removed the fins on the manifold inlet. I also filled the casting gaps inside the inlet. I slightly ported and cleaned up the inlet runners also.
I was actually able to get the car out yesterday for a test on a Bama tune. I didn't hammer on the car because I don't trust the tune I have, but the throttle response was great, and I could tell it wants to run high RPM's. I'm going to have Shaun work his magic. I will hopefully have a base tune from him today or tomorrow.

IMG_1393_zpsbd27a540.jpg

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Instead of re-typing, I copied this from another thread….cause I'm lazy lol….Anyway, intake and CAI is on and hope to get a base tune from Shaun today.

If your result come out well, I'll be following suit with the TB, porting and larger CAI.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Vettehunter...Come back here...How's that thing driving with the 84.5 on there? I want to order one but want your results first! lol thanks

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
Vettehunter...Come back here...How's that thing driving with the 84.5 on there? I want to order one but want your results first! lol thanks

Lol... I will say, even with a so-so Bama tune currently, the Accufab and modified JLT in conjunction with the ported Boss, is driving pretty damn nice. I notice no issues at all with the TB.... Go for it!
I'm having issues with my iTSX right now and it has to get sent to SCT for repair so I have been unable to data log for Shaun.... There is no doubt in my mind that once I'm running an AED tune, the car will drive AWEOME.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Lol... I will say, even with a so-so Bama tune currently, the Accufab and modified JLT in conjunction with the ported Boss, is driving pretty damn nice. I notice no issues at all with the TB.... Go for it!
I'm having issues with my iTSX right now and it has to get sent to SCT for repair so I have been unable to data log for Shaun.... There is no doubt in my mind that once I'm running an AED tune, the car will drive AWEOME.

So for summary...So far with crap tune you still notice a butt dyno improvement in throttle response and low to mid range pull with the accufab...That's good news...

Defiant 5.0

Established Member
Hello everyone! My name is Ken and I took the time to read this thread this afternoon after putting down some disappointing numbers this past Friday on the dyno. My current mods are Boss IM, BBK CAI, BBR O/R X-Pipe and 4.10 gears. When I went to the dyno in November, I had not done the O/R X-pipe and I put down 404rwhp. The car was trailered from Myrtle Beach to Lexington, SC as the newly installed Boss IM hadn't been tuned for yet (hence the trip). I chose Travis Lane @ Carolina Chassis Dyno for tuning, per a close friends recommendation. When I went back to recalibrate for the O/R X-pipe, I had to do the almost 3 hour drive and by the time we got it on the dyno, it was 96 degrees and my engine was still winded from the trip.
We did 3 pulls. All 3 were taken up to 7300rpm. The first pull yielded 392rwhp. Travis knew I wasn't pleased with this, so he adjusted my timing one degree and pulled it again. This time, it was now 98 degrees outside (in an open dyno bay) and we pulled 387. Travis went back through and checked all of the readings before making a final pull. This one yielded 381rwhp. At this point, both of us are shaking our heads in frustration. Travis, who is a second generation tuner, attributed it to the high weather temps and the humidity. His thoughts are for me to return after the summer heat has dissipated in the fall and do another pull. I agree, but this time, I really want to be ready.
After reading this thread, it really got the cogs turning in my head. If I upgrade to an Accufab 84.5 TB and do the porting that I've seen take place, this could really help my numbers. As I read, I created a notes list in my phone of all of the materials needed to do this (dremmel tip, sand paper grits, etc.). I know that I will probably have to get a new CAI, too, but I figure mine will do for the time being. I just wanted to commend everybody for their ingenuity and creativity in this matter. You guys have really given me hope. Those numbers I put down really put a damper on my weekend and I am really looking forward to seeing more results as they come in. I also can't wait to see how that ported TB Inlet looks after all of the work! I don't supposed anyone would be willing to part with their template when they're finished?

Last edited:

SteveC

Established Member
Hello everyone! My name is Ken and I took the time to read this thread this afternoon after putting down some disappointing numbers this past Friday on the dyno. My current mods are Boss IM, BBK CAI, BBR O/R X-Pipe and 4.10 gears. When I went to the dyno in November, I had not done the O/R X-pipe and I put down 404rwhp. The car was trailered from Myrtle Beach to Lexington, SC as the newly installed Boss IM hadn't been tuned for yet (hence the trip). I chose Travis Land @ Carolina Chassis Dyno for tuning, per a close friends recommendation. When I went back to recalibrate for the O/R X-pipe, I had to do the almost 3 hour drive and by the time we got it on the dyno, it was 96 degrees and my engine was still winded from the trip.
We did 3 pulls. All 3 were taken up to 7300rpm. The first pull yielded 392rwhp. Travis knew I wasn't pleased with this, so he adjusted my timing one degree and pulled it again. This time, it was now 98 degrees outside (in an open dyno bay) and we pulled 387. Travis went back through and checked all of the readings before making a final pull. This one yielded 381rwhp. At this point, both of us are shaking our heads in frustration. Travis, who is a second generation tuner, attributed it to the high weather temps and the humidity. His thoughts are for me to return after the summer heat has dissipated in the fall and do another pull. I agree, but this time, I really want to be ready.
After reading this thread, it really got the cogs turning in my head. If I upgrade to an Accufab 84.5 TB and do the porting that I've seen take place, this could really help my numbers. As I read, I created a notes list in my phone of all of the materials needed to do this (dremmel tip, sand paper grits, etc.). I know that I will probably have to get a new CAI, too, but I figure mine will do for the time being. I just wanted to commend everybody for their ingenuity and creativity in this matter. You guys have really given me hope. Those numbers I put down really put a damper on my weekend and I am really looking forward to seeing more results as they come in. I also can't wait to see how that ported TB Inlet looks after all of the work! I don't supposed anyone would be willing to part with their template when they're finished?

Hi Ken!

Travis uses a Mustang Dyno which are notorious for reading about 10-12% lower than a Dynojet, hence why some call it the heartbreaker dyno lol. That being said, I think Travis has some big correction factors built in to try and match Dynojet numbers. When I took my car to him about a month ago to get a base dyno run I drove 30 minutes in 90 degree heat, let the car sit for about an hour, then did a pull and the uncorrected HP was 330. However, with whatever correction he was using it came out reading 375 (ironically roughly 12% higher). I am not surprised that the numbers went down for you after each pull as the car was heated up even more, especially with outside temps that high.

I would be willing to send you my template or if you find yourself in Columbia you can come and pick it up. I ended up not porting it out all the way since I plan to do FI in the future (Paxton or Vortech) and didn't want to risk it. If you are also interested I may be willing to part ways with my 90mm FRPP TB since I can't use that with the FI setup either. You would just need to give me some time to find all the parts from my stock TB and get everything swapped.

Feel free to shoot me a PM!

-Steve

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Ken...your numbers sound WAYYY low...I'd find a different dyno and possibly tuner...I made 416whp on a "stingy" dyno with stock manifold, catless X and Steeda CAI...3.73 gears and 93 pump gas...I'm guessing I picked up 5-10 peak whp with the Boss manifold...

Defiant 5.0

Established Member
Hi Ken!

Travis uses a Mustang Dyno which are notorious for reading about 10-12% lower than a Dynojet, hence why some call it the heartbreaker dyno lol. That being said, I think Travis has some big correction factors built in to try and match Dynojet numbers. When I took my car to him about a month ago to get a base dyno run I drove 30 minutes in 90 degree heat, let the car sit for about an hour, then did a pull and the uncorrected HP was 330. However, with whatever correction he was using it came out reading 375 (ironically roughly 12% higher). I am not surprised that the numbers went down for you after each pull as the car was heated up even more, especially with outside temps that high.

Steve, thank you for your interest in my experience. I would definitely like to take you're template off of your hands. I'll PM you shortly to discuss all of the details.

I would be willing to send you my template or if you find yourself in Columbia you can come and pick it up. I ended up not porting it out all the way since I plan to do FI in the future (Paxton or Vortech) and didn't want to risk it. If you are also interested I may be willing to part ways with my 90mm FRPP TB since I can't use that with the FI setup either. You would just need to give me some time to find all the parts from my stock TB and get everything swapped.

Feel free to shoot me a PM!

-Steve

Ken...your numbers sound WAYYY low...I'd find a different dyno and possibly tuner...I made 416whp on a "stingy" dyno with stock manifold, catless X and Steeda CAI...3.73 gears and 93 pump gas...I'm guessing I picked up 5-10 peak whp with the Boss manifold...

Sir, I feel that you're right. A friend of mine (whom I actually referred to Travis in a 12GT with Boss IM, MMR CAI and BBK 90mm TB) managed to lay down 435rwhp last month in 60 degree weather. I definitely want to find a dynojet to do a couple of pulls on, just to see if it's the dyno, the conditions or the tuner. I respect and admire Travis Lane very much, but for $175 per tuning session, I need better results than that. I'm going to start my research this week and make some calls.

I will say, however, the reason why I'm so excited about this procedure on the Boss mani is that this really will make an otherwise underrated part shine. I think that buying and buying parts to with no regard for how they all work together is a terrible, expensive idea. I toyed with the idea of starting over with a CJ setup, but this is a much more reasonable approach that will get the parts I already have to start working well together. This is what building a fast car is all about. Again, hats off to you gentlemen. Any other input is also most welcome and appreciated.

Is it possible that the dyno its self was just having a bad day?

SteveC

Established Member
If I were you I would drive the extra 30 minutes (when compared to driving to Lexington) up to Pro-Dyno in Ft. Mill, SC. I know at least a dozen people that have gone there with great results. Nothing against Travis since I only had a base dyno run done by him but I know Dan up at Pro-Dyno does great work with the newer 5.0's.

Defiant 5.0

Established Member
If I were you I would drive the extra 30 minutes (when compared to driving to Lexington) up to Pro-Dyno in Ft. Mill, SC. I know at least a dozen people that have gone there with great results. Nothing against Travis since I only had a base dyno run done by him but I know Dan up at Pro-Dyno does great work with the newer 5.0's.

I will have to look into that. I know of Dan @ Pro Dyno but not much more than that. I'm going to try to knock out the work on the Boss mani soon and hopefully get a new TB over the summer. I'm not going to write Travis off just yet. I will pull on a Dynojet somewhere to get a better idea of what's going on and then carry it back out to Travis to retune for the TB. If it doesn't put down better numbers than the other day, I may need to rethink my strategy. I have a lot of confidence in Travis as a tuner, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

SteveC

Established Member
I will have to look into that. I know of Dan @ Pro Dyno but not much more than that. I'm going to try to knock out the work on the Boss mani soon and hopefully get a new TB over the summer. I'm not going to write Travis off just yet. I will pull on a Dynojet somewhere to get a better idea of what's going on and then carry it back out to Travis to retune for the TB. If it doesn't put down better numbers than the other day, I may need to rethink my strategy. I have a lot of confidence in Travis as a tuner, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Tell him to clean up his shop then maybe he can think clearly :D Just kidding, Travis is a great guy. He was going to cut me a deal on headers but he didn't have the right mid-pipe. Well that and I didn't have the cash, that is probably the more important part lol Although I wish he had a sign on the road telling you that you are at his shop, I almost drove by it twice!

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
So for summary...So far with crap tune you still notice a butt dyno improvement in throttle response and low to mid range pull with the accufab...That's good news...

I wouldn't say I feel a butt dyno improvement because I have yet to even go WOT (Don't trust the tune)….Under normal acceleration/driving, the TB does not feel any different than the stock TB as far as drivability goes, but def feels more responsive and smoother.

Defiant 5.0

Established Member
His shop is an unmitigated disaster to anybody but him lmao. According to my friend Jeff, he can tell you what's in each one of those piles of parts lol.

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
Any updates?

Well after going through a nightmare with my SCT iTSX Tuner, I was finally able to data log for Shaun after about 50 calls to the tech line 2 replacements from SCT over a months period. After a one revision, the car was good to go. Drives like stock and screams up top....Unfortunately no dyno numbers because I have been extremely busy with my new job. I was able to make it to the track one evening a few weeks ago and despite running heavy Vossen 20" tires and brick street tires, I was only able to grab a 12.3 @ 118. Keep in mid that was with a 1.99 60'. I was actually more concerned with my trap sped vs. ET because of the wheel / tire set-up I was on. It was pretty muggy that night, so I could see this combo trapping 120 in good better air.
My priorities have changed for this car and will most likely be going with Stage 3 Comps and a CJ Set-Up in the fall, so I actually just sold this intake set-up to "APEX32". He road races his car and is looking for more pull up top. He told me that he will be dynoing this intake set-up soon and will update this thread with the results.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Do you have the 84.5 porting template for the Accufab? I'll buy it from you, I plan to do the same thing.

EDIT: wish I could've snagged that IM from you. :(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread