Thinking about trading my Shelby GT in for a Terminator

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member
I know this maybe the wrong forum to be asking this question, lol.... But I have been thinking about getting a terminator for a longggg time....

I have modded my car to the point where I can't go anymore, I am at 475rwhp with a whipple. I have put alot into the car. The car is really done up and I really do love it, but I love the aggressiveness of the termy... I love the power that it could make.

I have put alot into the Shelby and all I really need to do is drop a new block in it and I would be straight...

The story on the Cobra is, that it is a Redfire 03 convertiable and if you can believe it or not, is has only 3000 miles on it. It is bone stock.

The guy that I am talking to owns a private dealership and he moves tons of Cobras. I sent him some pics and he wants my car for himself. We were talking about an even trade, but I think I want at least 28k, he said that he would let it go for about 24k. The mileage on my car is 9300 and it's an 07.

Was just emailing the guy some more pics and he wants me to bring the car to him tomorrow so we can do an even trade....

Thoughts???

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
I see used Shelby Gt's goin for 30-35k down here in Texas. I would consider it more of an even swap if you took your Whipple, etc off. Post pics of your car and the other car if you can, Im sure that would give us more insight....GL

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member
For some reason, I can't post pics on this forum for some reason. I was thinking about the blower issue. The guy is a real enthusiast and since the Cobra has a blower i figured I'd leave it on and ask for at least 28K to 29K. I have been looking at blue book and retail on the Shelby GT with my mileage is 25.4K, that's without the blower and all other mods. This way I can at least buy a Whipple right away.

I can email pics to someone here to post...

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
I think you have to host the pics first at Photobucket, etc. I have no idea how to do it either, or I would have a sig pic....

Jroc

Established Member
Good thinking. A 475 hp Terminator will be more aggressive than a 475 hp S197, which is the S197's biggest problem is their too damn nice about the power they make.

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member
I can do the even swap and get the Cobra, but I can't see myself doing it with all I have done to my car. One of the main reasons that he wants my car is that it is an automatic. He's an older guy. If I trade, I would have lost a lot of money on installs and parts, but I guess that is the name of the game when this is our hobby.

Power wise I know I could get more from the termy. I would have to remod it to my tasting and pay all over again for installs and such. If I decide to do this deal I would have to atleast get close to 30K, even though I would still take a loss on all that I have done.... But what I would be gaining... would be really nasty!

I think if I do the even trade, I would be a fool. I need those extra G's for a new blower if I get the termy...

twhitey

Established Member
Have you tried to sell your car out right. then buy a 03/04 cobra. plenty of good deals out there.

JGEMNTL

JGEMNTL
Established Member
I can do the even swap and get the Cobra, but I can't see myself doing it with all I have done to my car. One of the main reasons that he wants my car is that it is an automatic. He's an older guy. If I trade, I would have lost a lot of money on installs and parts, but I guess that is the name of the game when this is our hobby.

Power wise I know I could get more from the termy. I would have to remod it to my tasting and pay all over again for installs and such. If I decide to do this deal I would have to atleast get close to 30K, even though I would still take a loss on all that I have done.... But what I would be gaining... would be really nasty!

I think if I do the even trade, I would be a fool. I need those extra G's for a new blower if I get the termy...

no way bro, he probly got that terminator for 20k or less, on a trade. sell your car, then go buy one on your own !!! you will have enough $$ to do half your mods all ready !!!!!!!!!!!!!

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
Sounds like the Dealer needs to give you some cash, like $4k or so + his Cobra for your Shelby. Don't let him take advantage of you. If he won't do that, then sell your Shelby outright and find another Cobra. A 2800 mile Redfire Vert just sold in my town for $23,500, so deals on low milers can be found.

The sour feeling of a bad deal will remain in your gut long after the initial "high" of getting your Cobra. My $.02

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would try to sell your car private, too. Unless the guy really wants it, a dealer won't normally give you what you'd get in a private sale. Maybe he would buy your car private, and then you can buy the Terminator through the dealer. Maybe even get a better deal on it. It sure has low mileage. Best of luck with your decision. Your Shelby GT, by the way, sounds nice!

Fireguy615

Mom! The Meatloaf!
Established Member
You're gonna have to sell the car outright or go back to stock and sell off the parts. The dealer isn't going to give you cash, they're not in the business of that. Guys that put a ton of aftermarket money into their cars never, EVER recoup their costs. Thats just the way it is. The imbalance in costs between the stock Terminator and your modded Shelby will never be made up by the dealer.

keith89

Established Member
I know this maybe the wrong forum to be asking this question, lol.... But I have been thinking about getting a terminator for a longggg time....

I have modded my car to the point where I can't go anymore, I am at 475rwhp with a whipple. I have put alot into the car. The car is really done up and I really do love it, but I love the aggressiveness of the termy... I love the power that it could make.

I have put alot into the Shelby and all I really need to do is drop a new block in it and I would be straight...

The story on the Cobra is, that it is a Redfire 03 convertiable and if you can believe it or not, is has only 3000 miles on it. It is bone stock.

The guy that I am talking to owns a private dealership and he moves tons of Cobras. I sent him some pics and he wants my car for himself. We were talking about an even trade, but I think I want at least 28k, he said that he would let it go for about 24k. The mileage on my car is 9300 and it's an 07.

Was just emailing the guy some more pics and he wants me to bring the car to him tomorrow so we can do an even trade....

Thoughts???

I love my terminator, but your shelby gt is freaken sweet too. What happened to building a motor?

xenodragon

Established Member
You are crazy OP, keep the Shelby!

Why because Shelby slapped his name on it? Other than what, an intake and some suspension enhancements there is no difference between this car and the regular S197.

I say get a terminator or a gt500. You will not regret it.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
No way, keep your Shelby GT. I would say that you are not going to be happy going from the rigidness of your shelby to the sloppyness of the 03 Vert. I am not bagging on the Vert, and it can be tightened up but it won't feel anything like your SGT.

I as well think that you should remove the blower and sell the car/blower separately. Then go find a killer Terminator for your money.

To me a 03' Vert is not worth 24k or trading your car.

I know how you feel because I got rid of my 05 Roush for my Terminator. The Roush had: 4.10's, Steeda UDP's, Bassani Catted X, JLT CAI, Brenspeed Tune, Roush Stg. 2 springs, and Steeda Cowl hood but puting a blower on it for 6k and not being able to match a pullied 04' was the reason for the switch.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Why because Shelby slapped his name on it? Other than what, an intake and some suspension enhancements there is no difference between this car and the regular S197.

I say get a terminator or a gt500. You will not regret it.

No, I believe that we are saying that it is not a good trade. He could take the blower off, sell it for 3-4k and then probably sell is his car for 20-24k. Then he could go out a find a killer Terminator.

xenodragon

Established Member
No, I believe that we are saying that it is not a good trade. He could take the blower off, sell it for 3-4k and then probably sell is his car for 20-24k. Then he could go out a find a killer Terminator.

That wasnt what I was getting at...I know its not a good trade since they sell for so much more...JUST because the shelby name is on it. Its still a crappy s197 mustang GT.

I think im just bitter because I want a gt500 and cant find one for under $40k used or new...and its all because it says Shelby!

I think the terminator is a better car than the SGT, and you would be happy with the power potential it has. However, like other people said, its not a good trade. Sell the SGT on your own, and have $5-8kleft over for Cobra mods. Build the terminator up, and you will have an above 600hp monster

Users who are viewing this thread