Thinking about trading my Shelby GT in for a Terminator

mike1284

mcdougal
Established Member
So you think the deal is good? The dealer has been pretty up front and cool. Just didn't want to bite on something just because I wanted it.

However to do it all over again MOD wise, things don't look good.

thats where it looks like your main problem is. gonna come down to what body/interior you like most. gettin power out of either isnt the problem, specially the cobra. go look and drive the cobra and make your decision then.

Redfirecobra04

Established Member
Dude you need to go back to car school. I have a Shelby GT. I'll take you to school though, at no charge. Check out the links...

Nice day for some pics - The Mustang Source

Official Release and Pix! - The Mustang Source

Third Shelby Mustang: Shelby GT Joins GT-H and GT500! - The Mustang Source

Get your info straight before you run off at the mouth next time.

I apologize, I did not know you drive an automatic rental car. To make your life easier, trade it for a school bus since that's what it is worth.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Why am I crazy?

My brother doesn't have Cobra seats. I didn't think there was a difference in seating. Although I wouldn't be getting the car for comforts sake, even though it is a huge plus.

Cobras have better seats than the GT's.

DSCN4175.jpg

IMG_0478-1.jpg

Last edited:

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
What kind of time slips are you seeing in your car? I had a upper/lower setup on my Terminator at one point making exactly 475 RWHP and was going 7.4's in the 1/8 mile at 100 MPH on 17" wheels.

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member
I apologize, I did not know you drive an automatic rental car. To make your life easier, trade it for a school bus since that's what it is worth.

You still talkin..... Try to trade your shit in and see if you don't get 100 laughs. Go try and trade it in with the mods you got and see what happens. NO ONE will give you 27K for your car with a trade, no one!
You see the prices of terminators now, so don't start.

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member
Cobras have better seats than the GT's.

DSCN4175.jpg

IMG_0478-1.jpg

Those do look alot better... Everytime I was in my brothers car, I wanted to get out ASAP.... I guess since the GT500 has no different seating than the regular S197's other than how you want it upholstered I would think there was no difference.

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member
What kind of time slips are you seeing in your car? I had a upper/lower setup on my Terminator at one point making exactly 475 RWHP and was going 7.4's in the 1/8 mile at 100 MPH on 17" wheels.

To be honest I hadn't have time to take it to the track. Was always working, things have changed a bit and now I can and have time to take it to the track. Was always taking it to get modded. The car is a garage queen.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
10th Anniversary Terminator's = teh sex

:rockon:

:beer:

Those do look alot better... Everytime I was in my brothers car, I wanted to get out ASAP.... I guess since the GT500 has no different seating than the regular S197's other than how you want it upholstered I would think there was no difference.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the GT seats either and wasn't too fond of the ones in my old 94 GT. The Cobra's seats feel much better.

buck8

Established Member
I'm basically in the same boat except I didn't pay the premium for the shelby gt and just went with a gt and did all the mods myself. Paid 22k for it brand new with 47 miles was a hell of a deal and now I have full suspension setup done full exterior I've totally redone with a combination of shelby parts and am about to throw a blower on it and hit 475hp. However I keep doubting myself and wondering if I should go with the cobra in the end... Needless to say I still havent made the decision but am about to pull the trigger on my blower. Theres just something about the newer bodies that looks way more appealing to me. I can't help but get over the raw power of terminator's but when it boils down to appearance inside and out the 05+ win to me. Sadly however power wise there isn't a comparison. Needless to say I am also still debating.

Is it really only 5k for a Livernois block? How much can you port over from your current engine to get this? Just wondering if I went this route in the future how much the whole undertaking would cost me.

buck8

Established Member
Called and talked to Livernois and sounds like for a little over 5 grand plus installation you can boost you blower to its full potential.... This looks like a way better bet to me now. I was always under the impression you would have to invest 15k to forge your low end and it simply was not worth while. Sounding now like I could come up with terminator numbers with my styling for an affordable price.

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
If you buy the cobra you are going to end up dumping a shitload of money to make it faster, then sooner or later you will get sick of it and dump even more money into it. No matter how much money you put into it there will still be someone out there that is faster.
Personally I don't think that terminator is worth what the dealer is asking. No way would I buy a 6 year old car for $20+k. No matter if its stock with low miles or not.

You might as well keep your car and continue to dump money into it if you want to go faster. Once you put a forged motor under the hood the sky will be the limit.

Good luck with which ever route you decide to take.
p.s.I tell my wife its your fault that I have a blower under the hood :)

Last edited:

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member
I'm basically in the same boat except I didn't pay the premium for the shelby gt and just went with a gt and did all the mods myself. Paid 22k for it brand new with 47 miles was a hell of a deal and now I have full suspension setup done full exterior I've totally redone with a combination of shelby parts and am about to throw a blower on it and hit 475hp. However I keep doubting myself and wondering if I should go with the cobra in the end... Needless to say I still havent made the decision but am about to pull the trigger on my blower. Theres just something about the newer bodies that looks way more appealing to me. I can't help but get over the raw power of terminator's but when it boils down to appearance inside and out the 05+ win to me. Sadly however power wise there isn't a comparison. Needless to say I am also still debating.

Is it really only 5k for a Livernois block? How much can you port over from your current engine to get this? Just wondering if I went this route in the future how much the whole undertaking would cost me.

I guess at some point it comes down to how much you have sunk into your ride before you decide to sell. Sounds like you have done quite a bit and we are in the same boat. Looks like to me your answer is a new block. 5K will get you that new Livernois block rated at 1000hp stroked and you still have ported heads to consider as well.

Sounds like you love everything about the 05+ Mustangs. Another thing you need to consider is that the stock tranny won't be able to hold up under those new numbers, whereas the termi's will.

If you get the blower first you need to upgrade your brakes, in fact I'd do that before I got the blower. I'd get the block 1st then the blower if I had to do it all over again, I just thought with the blower that would be enough, I was wrong.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Torrence

After thinking about what you want and all the stuff your going to get with the Terminator I would yank the mods off the S197 and sell the car privately and ebay your mod parts. Or you can sell the whole ball of wax and get cash in your hands then you can keep an eye out for a nice modded Terminator as long as it has not been abused to bad. It will just cost too much to bring your car up to snuff and you still won't have all the goodies that are already on the Terminator.

One thing you will notice with an SN95 is it's a lot more fun to drive. I had an 05 GT for one month and hated how slow it steered compared to my 04 and thought the car was a bit boring to drive (it felt more like a sedan where the SN95 closer to a sports car). The S197 wheelbase is 6" longer then the SN95 which is largly responsible for that. The GT chassis while stiffer then Terminator (sub-frames will fix that) has an IRS which is icing on the cake :dancenana:

Dump the GT and get a Termiantor. Trust me on this one you won't look back.

Just my opinion.

mike1284

mcdougal
Established Member
irs is a huge win, will never go back to a solid. ive driven a few S197's an auto gt with cams, exhaust, intake an tune, a manual gt bone stock, and a gt500. none of them really thrilled me. i wont trade my cobra for anything

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member
Torrence

After thinking about what you want and all the stuff your going to get with the Terminator I would yank the mods off the S197 and sell the car privately and ebay your mod parts. Or you can sell the whole ball of wax and get cash in your hands then you can keep an eye out for a nice modded Terminator as long as it has not been abused to bad. It will just cost too much to bring your car up to snuff and you still won't have all the goodies that are already on the Terminator.

One thing you will notice with an SN95 is it's a lot more fun to drive. I had an 05 GT for one month and hated how slow it steered compared to my 04 and thought the car was a bit boring to drive (it felt more like a sedan where the SN95 closer to a sports car). The S197 wheelbase is 6" longer then the SN95 which is largly responsible for that. The GT chassis while stiffer then Terminator (sub-frames will fix that) has an IRS which is icing on the cake :dancenana:

Dump the GT and get a Termiantor. Trust me on this one you won't look back.

Just my opinion.

I've priced that as well. They told me 1.5K to take everything out.

03terminator77

LacedWithVenom
Established Member
Just get the terminator. It's obvious you are not entirely happy with your current car and by seeing how you've posted this thread, your heart is really set on buying a Terminator. Maybe you should just count your losses like most people who are selling their terminators are doing. Odds are that you are going to find a good deal on a Cobra right now and someone is going to get a good deal on your shelby. IMHO, a Cobra is worth more than your Shelby as I really don't hear about or know anyone who really has their eyes set on Shelby GT, but there are still a lot of people showing interest and buying Terminators. Just my .02. I'm not trying to be-little the Shelby as I still believe it is a very nice car but most people out there who have the $$$ are going to spend it on a Terminator before a Shelby GT.

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member
Honesty is always appreciated. I guess swallowing that pill (BIG LOSS MOD PILL) is hard to swallow, but there is ALWAYS the next project.

Users who are viewing this thread