Thinking about trading my Shelby GT in for a Terminator

Redfirecobra04

Established Member
you guys know he has a shelby gt... and not a shelby gt500, right?

and my 2cents a friend of mine bought a shelby gt last year. i thought it was really slow and too ridged of a ride. he has some problems with the hood rusting after 2 weeks from the hood pin wires scratching the hood when he got caught in the rain..

Thanks, finally someone educated the bunch here. This is a MUSTANG GT, not a SHELBY GT(not sure if one even exists but I do Know a SHELBY GT500) and automatic at that. Pretty much worthless unless sold with the upgrades but then you are limiting yourself to a few buyers us not everyone is intereted in aftermarket stuff.

Last edited:

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
Thanks, finally someone educated the bunch here. This is a MUSTANG GT, not a SHELBY GT(not sure if one even exists but I do Know a SHELBY GT500) and automatic at that. Pretty much worthless unless sold with the upgrades but then you are limiting yourself to a few buyers us not everyone is intereted in aftermarket stuff.

wtf are you talking about?..His car is a Mustang Shelby GT..its just not a GT500

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
My father owns a Shelby GT (yes they do exist, hahaha). Yes you can probably jump in a Terminator and mod it pretty good after selling your shelby GT. I can tell you this: The Shelby GT rides alot smoother, is alot more comfortable and has better shifter location. The shelby GT is probably one of the best looking S197 mustangs IMO.

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member
Torrence man dont do it! Just drop a forged stroker in your car and you will be all set.
If you decide to sell your car I would be interested in your brake set up :D

on a side note...only 475rwhp @12psi? Something doesnt sound right...Does your car have a 'conservative' tune? I am assuming your car was tuned at the same shop as mine?

John, I've been banging my head on this.... Guy actually came back to me and said that he will give me an extra 1.5K for the car, bringing it up to 27.5K and selling the cobra for 23K.

Bad part about this is that I know the wife won't let me go this berserk on another car again.

As far as the 475rwhp, I have an automatic, so it took that much psi on a conservative tune to get me there, if not for the auto I'd be well at 500hp to the rear wheel.

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member

Dude you need to go back to car school. I have a Shelby GT. I'll take you to school though, at no charge. Check out the links...

Nice day for some pics - The Mustang Source

Official Release and Pix! - The Mustang Source

Third Shelby Mustang: Shelby GT Joins GT-H and GT500! - The Mustang Source

Get your info straight before you run off at the mouth next time.

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member
Torrence man dont do it! Just drop a forged stroker in your car and you will be all set.

Your right, all I need is 5k for that Livernois stroker I have been looking at and I am done. All will bow down! If I get the Cobra, I will have to start all over again and will be limited in hp potential of the block, although it's better than what I currently have.

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member
My father owns a Shelby GT (yes they do exist, hahaha). Yes you can probably jump in a Terminator and mod it pretty good after selling your shelby GT. I can tell you this: The Shelby GT rides alot smoother, is alot more comfortable and has better shifter location. The shelby GT is probably one of the best looking S197 mustangs IMO.

Your correct about a few things.

1. The SN95's are pretty uncomfortable. My brother has an 04 GT and the terminators interiors are basically the same. It's really not a comfy car, but it is a wicked one.

2. Your also right about the looks. It is a pretty hot looking car. All you have to do is change up the rims to your liking and boom your done with the appearance... Example....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3203029

99saleenspeedster

Established Member
Your car looks sweet!

Get a shortblock and put a pulley on that blower. You'll love it. We have a Whipple on our GT and it's a fun street car. I've been 10.82 @ 126 on 20's and wouldn't hesitate to drive the car anywhere. It has stock cams, stock converter, and stock 3.31 gears...

Here is a vid of the only pass I got on video, 11.08 @ 126 mph on 20's

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNq4CZhFXSI&fmt=18]11.08 Pass[/ame]

-Rick

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
do it. theres a shelby gt here in town that did the whipple and misc stuff just to try to beat my ported and pullied cobra. Needless to say he still swears up and down i used juice to beat his mighty car.

SlowSVT

Established Member
torrence

The solution to your problem is a forged short block with low compression slugs. You could easily add 200 hp to the motor without breaking a sweat.

Personally, I like the Terminator better then the S197 but not in the flimsy convertible variety. I think you will be happier with a coup.

mike1284

mcdougal
Established Member
John, I've been banging my head on this.... Guy actually came back to me and said that he will give me an extra 1.5K for the car, bringing it up to 27.5K and selling the cobra for 23K.

man, your crazy not to IMO. though im a 99-04 lover way more than 05-09

Your correct about a few things.

1. The SN95's are pretty uncomfortable. My brother has an 04 GT and the terminators interiors are basically the same. It's really not a comfy car, but it is a wicked one.

does your brother have cobra seats in his gt? theres a huge diff there. i love my interior, and hate the 05-09. one of the main reasons i will never own one. thats all a matter of opinion though.

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member

does your brother have cobra seats in his gt? theres a huge diff there. i love my interior, and hate the 05-09. one of the main reasons i will never own one. thats all a matter of opinion though.

Why am I crazy?

My brother doesn't have Cobra seats. I didn't think there was a difference in seating. Although I wouldn't be getting the car for comforts sake, even though it is a huge plus.

mike1284

mcdougal
Established Member
Why am I crazy?

My brother doesn't have Cobra seats. I didn't think there was a difference in seating. Although I wouldn't be getting the car for comforts sake, even though it is a huge plus.

well i dont really mean crazy, im just a huge 99-04 fan. wanted a cobra since '02. i just dont ever see myself in 05-09 is all. so that bein me, id be all over this deal

SlowSVT

Established Member

+1

The Terminator IS the best seat of ANY car I have ever sat in bar none. I just wish they weren't so heavy. The interior of the Cobra is all business sans all the decrotive trinkets of the S197. The seat on the GT500 seats feel more like a bench. Can't understand why Ford downgraded the seats on that car :nonono:

The SN95 interior is a little cramped for a tall guy but it's a smaller car to begin with. That's why they call it a "coup" :dancenana:

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member
torrence

The solution to your problem is a forged short block with low compression slugs. You could easily add 200 hp to the motor without breaking a sweat.

Personally, I like the Terminator better then the S197 but not in the flimsy convertible variety. I think you will be happier with a coup.

Your probably right. I would have to brake the bank to do it all over again. Even though the Terminator is a vicious car. Not unless I trade for an already built Terminator.

I have been a bit reserved about the convertible, I really would like a coupe. The way you guys talk about it (convertible) really gives me 2nd and 3rd thoughts. I really like a tight and stiff ride. I have a buddy on here with a convertible and it's pretty stout, I guess I should have paid more attention when I rode in it.

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member
well i dont really mean crazy, im just a huge 99-04 fan. wanted a cobra since '02. i just dont ever see myself in 05-09 is all. so that bein me, id be all over this deal

So you think the deal is good? The dealer has been pretty up front and cool. Just didn't want to bite on something just because I wanted it.

Looking at the numbers, this is what I see.

KBB trade in value for my car alone STOCK: $19,650 that's in excellent condition with the Shelby package.

KBB Private party value for my car alone STOCK: $22,255 that's in excellent condition with the Shelby package.

KBB Suggested Retail value for my car alone STOCK: $24,705 that's in excellent condition with the Shelby package.

And the guy is willing to give me 27.5K and has only seen my car in pics. Probably can get him to go higher if I brought the car in. So by the numbers things look good. However to do it all over again MOD wise, things don't look good.

Users who are viewing this thread