"These Cars are Meant to be Driven"

b_dike

Established Member
I totally agree with this thread. I like to take care of my car and have DD vehicles I'll drive every day, this sis a nice day/special occasions car. The other big factor in me driving less is the cleaning after, I know I'll have to clean it again and it’s black so that process takes a looooong time and I'm very meticulous in how I clean and how clean it gets. Overall I want a nice fun car, not a beat-up fun car.

I totally feel your pain. I could care less about the miles (90k) it's just part of the life of the car. It's the cleaning after the drive that drives me crazy. I absolutely hate having dirty cars, dd or not.

As for the guys with "better things to do than rack up miles", sounds as if your out counting miles while you drive lol.

I loved the way my wife looked soo much when we married I decided to freeze her so she'll never age kind of thing. Everything has a life expectancy lol...

stangfreak

Established Member
I hear it all the time from the guy at my job who is stuck in the 80s. Annoying prick. Just seeing him I get sick. All he talks about was his stock 87 and how bad ass he was. He had one race in that car and he's bad ass.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
It's not the snow that ruins cars/trucks here, it's the salt! So yeah if you want a rusted out cobra that's up to you. Oh and the high today was 12 degrees with wind gust up to 40 mph.

I agree with you OP. I only like to drive mine in nice weather. And no I don't drive it in the rain because I hate cleaning the car, but love having a clean car! I only put roughly 1k miles on my car a year, friends give me crap all the time too.

I am with Bdubbs. I put less than 1k on the car this year, and the last few as well. Unlike Bdubbs I like cleaning my car, but because I don't often have the time to commit to getting it clean enough for my standards, I simply keep it clean. I wipe it down after every drive with microfibers and quick wax. I never got the car wet once this year, not even a washing. It stayed clean.

I don't drive in rain, sand, salt, ect. I never park it in or near dirt, or where dirt is likely to come from the road or unprepped parking area. Yes... I am anal. I love my car and I am not afraid to stand on the pedal and tear up a track. But it is not a mode of transportation to me... I cruise it and put it away again. I think I have parked it outside of the garage maybe 2-3 times in the past few years to get dinner, ect.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I hear it all the time from the guy at my job who is stuck in the 80s. Annoying prick. Just seeing him I get sick. All he talks about was his stock 87 and how bad ass he was. He had one race in that car and he's bad ass.
there is nothing about owning an 87 stock or otherwise that makes a guy "badass" LOL you should tell him

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
I'm not trying to be a dick, but to "gettwisted" you enjoy your paper weight and remember to tell eveybody how nice it is and how it has no miles, kiss it goodnight and maybe on your bday you will take it out and have that first beer your avatar speaks about.

Too mod miket I agree if you have other hobbies that you enjoy more or simply don't have time to drive the car is one thing I have zero complaints.

But when guys simply don't drive them to keep the mileage low and talk about how sweet their garage queen is and then say people are jealous about the mileage it is ridiculous.

I would rather say I drive the car, then sit in a garage and look at a car and say how awesome it is. Different strokes for different folks

Just having some fun don't get your panties in a knot.

I don't think you even read my OP. I don't keep the car up to keep the miles off of it, the car is put on the back burner to my family, house, hobbies, work..etc. and I drive it only on nice days (when I have time to). Like I said in my OP, I don't want to just get it out because that is the status quo. I get it out on my terms.

I never once said anything about how sweet my garage queen was. I never once said anybody was jealous. I would never say things like that to anybody.

Then you agreed with somebody else that said the exact same thing I did in my OP???

I think its time for you to start drinking a few beers and try to relax a little. First ones on me.

Last edited:

getTwisted

Established Member

just take him for a ride in your car once and that should take care of him.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Easy guys, different strokes for different folks. Had mine for almost 12 and half years and it has just about 20K on it. I drive it when I want and have time, but still enjoy it immensely.

s351

Established Member
I was going by the whole first page of what was being said gettwisted then i thought i'd mess with you a bit because, you put 'this threads for me' which I thought was funny comment. As i said different strokes for different folks. That whole first page sounds like a vette car meet where i'm from bunch of guys talking about how great there cars without actually driving them, and I'm pretty sure the Terminator was made to piss those certain owners off.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Obviously I don't have an 03/04 cobra but I enjoy driving mine. It rolled 96k miles before the end of the year. I've put about 20k miles on it in 4 years, 12k of those were the first year when I drove it everyday. Now I drive it every weekend usually, sometimes it's two weeks before I get it out. I love driving it, but it adds to the excitement of driving it when you haven't been in it for a week or so. If I drove one everyday I'd get bored with anything to fast. At lot of times I look forward to the weekend so I can drive it, it's my release from the stress of the week.

Although my ultimate plan is to just turn the GT into an all out track car someday and have a uber low mileage 03/04 as a Sunday cruiser/show car. It's cool that people preserve them and have low mileage examples, but I also really respect the people with good running high mileage cars as I know the work that goes into keeping them in tip top shape throughout the years.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I was going by the whole first page of what was being said gettwisted then i thought i'd mess with you a bit because, you put 'this threads for me' which I thought was funny comment. As i said different strokes for different folks. That whole first page sounds like a vette car meet where i'm from bunch of guys talking about how great there cars without actually driving them, and I'm pretty sure the Terminator was made to piss those certain owners off.

Oh no...now it's the vette guys. I learned a looooong time ago it really has nothing to do with the poor cars. The car is just a piece of engineering and I've learned to respect even "ricer" cars that I think are well thought out pieces of machinery.

It's people that I shake my head at....and they come in all shades and colors and drive all kinds of cars. I've even seen pretty abrasive Saleen owners thru the years, that think their poop don't stink and somehow their 290hp '89 SSC is untouchable power and craftsmanship. Lol. It takes all kinds in this world.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Today I was installing a head unit n speakers bc the stock one fried out. My buddy's cousin is helping me out, he says Damn man Y r u acting like ur car isn't boss? He looks around sees a supercharger then asks some numbers etc. I say man I'm not acting like it's not boss I'm just not bragging about it. No need to brag. Real gear heads know what's up, low miles like some guys here or high miles like hotcobra.

getTwisted

Established Member

Well my first comment to you did make me sound like a dick. My bad. I didn't intend on the thread turning into a bragging competition. I think bragging is childish.

:beer:

s351

Established Member
Oh no...now it's the vette guys. I learned a looooong time ago it really has nothing to do with the poor cars. The car is just a piece of engineering and I've learned to respect even "ricer" cars that I think are well thought out pieces of machinery.

It's people that I shake my head at....and they come in all shades and colors and drive all kinds of cars. I've even seen pretty abrasive Saleen owners thru the years, that think their poop don't stink and somehow their 290hp '89 SSC is untouchable power and craftsmanship. Lol. It takes all kinds in this world.

Oh I know its not the car, as I like any car thats done tastefully, muscle,rice,exotic,euro, That doesn't matter to me, I put vette meet where I'm from, they're a bunch of guys that are to good to talk to you types cause you don't own a vette. I'll give anybody the time of day as long as they are not your brand loyal nothing is faster types.

Last edited:

s351

Established Member
Well my first comment to you did make me sound like a dick. My bad. I didn't intend on the thread turning into a bragging competition. I think bragging is childish.

:beer:

It's all good man, I poked back I ment nothing by it, i was just having some fun, My car only comes out for 4 months of the year, but when its out its out.

STREETREBEL

Established Member
Work the same factory for years. Walking through the parking lot to the front door and the time clock.
Do that for 30 years, buy your dream car and sit and stare at it in your garage. Then when you die your
kid can sell it to some low baller, take the money and go to Vegas for the weekend.
I don't think so!
I like keeping my car clean. I like driving my car, but it's not a daily driver.
I also like it when the skin on my face begins to peel back when my twin turbo Cobra builds boost.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I am one of those people that says that. I don't mean to drive them every day but you got to put more than a few hundred miles a year on them. I will put a few thousand miles on each of my fun cars every year--they have gotten wet and been on gravel roads too. My Tiger and GT350 have tons of battle scars from life and I love it, they wear them like a badge of honor. The Boss is too new to be beaten up--yet.

03SVTscott

Established Member
Anybody get tired of hearing that?

When I get my car out I like to enjoy it. Between family, house projects, a newborn, work, and my other Hobbies (which I like more than the car) I don't get much time to get the car out, but I still enjoy having it.

I hope I never have to sale this car. I love walking out in the garage and seeing it sitting there. i like getting it out on nice days (when I have time). Some think its a sin to not drive a car. I think its the owners business what he/she does.

Anybody else get tired of hearing that worn out quote or I'm I just ranting?

I'm in the same boat as you. I usually get "you have 2 cars and you don't drive one of them much" (wife has two as well). People usual don't understand the hobby aspect of it. Or the aspect of modifying it. I don't let it bother me. It makes me happy owning it, taking care of it and driving it when I can.

Congrats on the newborn. I have a newborn myself.

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
It's no ones business how much I drive my car, I enjoy my car every time I drive it, I enjoy working on it ,modifying it, cleaning it and tracking it. Three weeks ago I put on 200 plus miles on track and had a blast!

noco5.0

Established Member
I'm not opposed to putting miles on my car. One of my favorite things to do is take long road trips. With that being said the weather here has been terrible the last couple of years between hail, snow, etc so it doesn't seem like there are that many days to enjoy it, so I end up driving my truck.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I am with Bdubbs. I put less than 1k on the car this year, and the last few as well. Unlike Bdubbs I like cleaning my car, but because I don't often have the time to commit to getting it clean enough for my standards, I simply keep it clean. I wipe it down after every drive with microfibers and quick wax. I never got the car wet once this year, not even a washing. It stayed clean.

I don't drive in rain, sand, salt, ect. I never park it in or near dirt, or where dirt is likely to come from the road or unprepped parking area. Yes... I am anal. I love my car and I am not afraid to stand on the pedal and tear up a track. But it is not a mode of transportation to me... I cruise it and put it away again. I think I have parked it outside of the garage maybe 2-3 times in the past few years to get dinner, ect.

LOL you sound like me! Hell I don't even bring my car to the local yearly car show, because I don't trust people and NEVER leave my car unattended. I do take it out that afternoon for cruising when there seems to be a lot of car out. And I also like hitting the go pedal that's for sure! I normally pay for gas right at the pump so it's not left out for idiots to do something to it. Yes, I'm that picky!

Users who are viewing this thread