"These Cars are Meant to be Driven"

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Anybody get tired of hearing that?

"Man, drive that thing"
"You just going to let it rot"
"I like to enjoy my car"

and about 100 other trashy comments about not driving the car much.

And then somebody shows me the picture about every 3 days on my Facebook page of the quote from Carroll Shelby that says "These cars are meant to be driven"… which is supposed to make me want to drive my car more?? or mean something to me at all?

If you drive your car every day I think that is great. If you drive the dog out of it, I think that is great. If you buy one and light it on fire and thats what you wanted to do, that is great.

When I get my car out I like to enjoy it. Between family, house projects, a newborn, work, and my other Hobbies (which I like more than the car) I don't get much time to get the car out, but I still enjoy having it.

I hope I never have to sale this car. I love walking out in the garage and seeing it sitting there. i like getting it out on nice days (when I have time). Some think its a sin to not drive a car. I think its the owners business what he/she does.

Anybody else get tired of hearing that worn out quote or I'm I just ranting?

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
"That's dumb so your car just sits there until Saturday...if I had one I'd drive it all the time"

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
"Bro, have you ever even raced anybody?"

FWIW, that's a sick mystichrome you have OP. I would garage it all day too. I DD my terminator and there are so many paint chips and scratches from idiots in parking lots. Every day I see a new scratch or chip.

getTwisted

Established Member
"Bro, have you ever even raced anybody?"

FWIW, that's a sick mystichrome you have OP. I would garage it all day too. I DD my terminator and there are so many paint chips and scratches from idiots in parking lots. Every day I see a new scratch or chip.

Thank you! Sorry to hear about your car getting scratched up. People couldn't care less about someone else's property. Nobody has any respect anymore.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
I have no issue with people who don't drive the car just because it's a weekend cruiser and they don't need to, but I can't stand when people get all wound up because a Cobra was driven in the rain/snow. It's a freaking Mustang it's not going to explode if water touches it. It's a car that is meant to be driven, be that once a month or once a day. I take that quote as they aren't meant to sit in a garage and collect dust because let's face it they are not collectors cars they are performance cars.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Perfect thread timing...I haven't driven mine in a few weeks, out of inspection since 10-31. It's been raining and finally got some sun today, so I took it in (I know everyone else has to cringe at handing the keys over to some stranger). Well...the inspection went fine, they handled it very well....but I got the comments! "Damn....2004, only 24k miles?!? Do you even enjoy this thing? I would drive the wheels off this!"

All I could think of was if this guy drove it even 24 miles without wrapping it around a tree I'd be shocked. Lol

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Perfect thread timing...I haven't driven mine in a few weeks, out of inspection since 10-31. It's been raining and finally got some sun today, so I took it in (I know everyone else has to cringe at handing the keys over to some stranger). Well...the inspection went fine, they handled it very well....but I got the comments! "Damn....2004, only 24k miles?!? Do you even enjoy this thing? I would drive the wheels off this!"

All I could think of was if this guy drove it even 24 miles without wrapping it around a tree I'd be shocked. Lol

I HATE letting other people drive my car. I would NEVER let a valet even touch my ride. A lot of the time they say dumb shit like oh man I park Porsches all the time. I'm sure you do chief, but this is unassisted power without traction control or a thousand sensors to correct your shitty driving.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have no issue with people who don't drive the car just because it's a weekend cruiser and they don't need to, but I can't stand when people get all wound up because a Cobra was driven in the rain/snow. It's a freaking Mustang it's not going to explode if water touches it. It's a car that is meant to be driven, be that once a month or once a day. I take that quote as they aren't meant to sit in a garage and collect dust because let's face it they are not collectors cars they are performance cars.

It's not the snow that ruins cars/trucks here, it's the salt! So yeah if you want a rusted out cobra that's up to you. Oh and the high today was 12 degrees with wind gust up to 40 mph.

I agree with you OP. I only like to drive mine in nice weather. And no I don't drive it in the rain because I hate cleaning the car, but love having a clean car! I only put roughly 1k miles on my car a year, friends give me crap all the time too.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Looks like my mileage for 2014 is going to be about 2,100 and I feel like I drove it a ton. Started out at 19k, ended around 21,100. I even took it on a few road trips a few hours away. I enjoyed the hell out of it. I completely understand just enjoying ownership of something, but you will enjoy it more if you drive it some.

Bdubbs - surprise to hear you say you hate cleaning your car. I love it or at least love\hate it. I mean it's work for sure, but I get into it and the results are worth it.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks like my mileage for 2014 is going to be about 2,100 and I feel like I drove it a ton. Started out at 19k, ended around 21,100. I even took it on a few road trips a few hours away. I enjoyed the hell out of it. I completely understand just enjoying ownership of something, but you will enjoy it more if you drive it some.

Bdubbs - surprise to hear you say you hate cleaning your car. I love it or at least love\hate it. I mean it's work for sure, but I get into it and the results are worth it.

LOL, I hate cleaning it because I'm so damn picky and it takes forever. I didn't have to use any water and soap at all this year! My car collects dust because of my un-finished ceiling in my garage. So every time before I take it out for a drive I use microfiber towels and get the dust off and also clean the brake dust off the rims. I also use blackfire waterless carwash spray that works quite well. And for those thinking water isn't bad for your paint job they should do some researching.

BoostedByV

No Fly By ZONE
Established Member
I hear it all the time as well , but the cobra sees the street when it's time to go to Mexico(twice a month) and every Sunday with the family for lunch or dinner

hotcobra03

Established Member
I feel bad for the cars with lower miles..

knowing what issues most have had with certian parts..

These certian parts will make it harder to fix them back with oem parts..

age will play a factor..

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I hear these comments as well and I dont even pay attention to them. Between family, work, and school I have very little free time to enjoy my vehicles. I have a 2010 F-150 and the first year I put 15k miles on it since it was my only vehicle, in the last 4 years I have only managed to put 9k miles on it. Luckily all of our vehicles are paid for so they can keep on sitting, one day I will have time to enjoy them!! I think this year I only managed to put 1k miles on my Cobra, sad but there is always next year.

Last edited:

dom418

Established Member
A lot of it is jealousy. Especially when you have a low mile car. Usually people making those comments on these boards have a high mileage car, that's my opinion.

People enjoy their toys differently, I like looking at mine, that gives me satisfaction. I don't have to take it to the mall or to buy milk to enjoy my toys. In other words F Off and let me decide how I enjoy my stuff.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I get this shit all the time from my family and friends. My comment to them, "tough shit, it my car, not yours".

torchinmach

Established Member
I agree mines not low mileage but it's not super high either (85000 on body 50000 on built motor). I love to drive it just not in city traffic Monday-Friday. I'd much rather drive my little Toyota that's automatic and gets 30+ miles a gallon and save the cobra for the weekend fun. But i do know people who drive theirs everyday and I have been in that scenario as well to each his own I guess.

getTwisted

Established Member
Its good to see everyone is different in how they enjoy their cars. It would be boring if we all did the same crap. Glad that the understanding here is pretty simple in that we do what we please with our own cars.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I've put 200 miles on my car since I bought it. about 100 of those were bringing it home.

Granted I've only had this one a couple months. But my last cobra was basically the same way.

I LOVE to drive my car, but its under my circumstances.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
you forgot... "what a waste, that's like having a supermodel wife that you're not banging!"

j/k man, to each his own :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread