"These Cars are Meant to be Driven"

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
Even though mine is not ultra low miles like some of yours (currently at 18,xxx). I don't drive mine much and when I do it's enjoyable. I have another vehicle to DD, so the 03 only comes out when I know it's not going to rain. And I'm like some of you too.. no bad roads, etc. I don't use it to go to the store, out to eat, or anything like that. Actually every time I drive it I cruise some and then go back home. About the only time it stops while I'm driving is to get gas. I know its just a car but I have another car for hauling people around, going to work and back, or running errands.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I've strategically found a few restaurants where I can park far away from any other cars and still see my car from inside the restaurant. I use a lot of Bank parking lots.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
i agree man. i dont drive mine much and not in inclement weather thats for sure. i know those people on facebook that say that. and as for the shelby quote i think its BS. shelby makes high powered exclusive/expensive cars yet tells people to drive them? yet they sit like prized possessions. i think people should do what they want with their cars. just because my mustang only sees a few thousand miles a year doesnt mean yours has to you know? its my money not theirs lol

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
It is hard to find time to drive mine as much as I would like with two kids under 5. For me, there is nothing like hopping in and hitting some back roads to clear my head a little. My car sees the track a decent amount too. I just hit 70K this year. Picked it up in '07 with 49K on it. Drove it through the spring and summer of '08 and then have had something else to drive daily since. I do enjoy it when it's out though :)

03Predator

Established Member
I get the comments, too, and mine has way more miles than yours (still under 40k). But the comments I get are always positive and said in admiration. It's always nice to hear. Tint shop dude was shocked to hear the car was ten years old and had 39xxx miles on it. He said the detail shop next door was impressed because most ten year old cars under fluorescent lighting have swirl marks and stuff but they couldn't see them on mine. :D

I could drive mine a lot more than I do but honestly I just enjoy looking at it. At least once a day I go out to the garage just to look. LOL

Prototype007

Established Member
I'm sort of on both sides of the fence with this discussion.

People that let their cars sit outside in the weather and let it be damaged by nature/animals and knowing they will never try to "save" the car, then they don't deserve it. This has been the case with my dad and his cars on many occasions. 69 RS/SS, 79 Malibu (which I finally acquired), the Peterbilt, and blah blah blah.

But to those that keep their cars in a contained eviroment and don't let them truly rot/rust, or if something is broke and they've just not had time/cash for it then I understand.

Just my opinion.

04Cobra03

Established Member
I enjoy my Mach 1 and my Cobra as evening/weekend cars. They stay in the garage away from the elements and sun damage and I only get them out to have fun in them. I daily drive my Bullitt so I get my V8 torque and sound fix everyday as I go to work and back and I take very good care of the bullitt but i dont worry about it in parking lots as much as my other stangs because i bought the bullitt already with some bumps and scrapes to be my daily/racecar.

mavisky

Established Member
The guys who put 1,000 miles on them a year because they only drive them when it's nice I totally understand.

The guys who put 35 miles on them over the course of owning them I just don't quite get unless it's actually an investment piece. Very few cars are going to meet this criteria, certainly not many mustangs I can think of (unless you've had them for 40+ years).

I personally love driving my Shelby on a daily basis. I don't beat on it everyday on my way to work and back so I'm never FULLY experiencing the car's capabilities. This makes taking it out on the weekend and pushing different from driving it the rest of the time. It's like having your cake and getting to eat it when the conditions are right. Sure it won't be a flawless example of the breed when it's said and done, but I bought this car for me to enjoy, not the next guy.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
The guys who put 1,000 miles on them a year because they only drive them when it's nice I totally understand.

The guys who put 35 miles on them over the course of owning them I just don't quite get unless it's actually an investment piece. Very few cars are going to meet this criteria, certainly not many mustangs I can think of (unless you've had them for 40+ years).

I personally love driving my Shelby on a daily basis. I don't beat on it everyday on my way to work and back so I'm never FULLY experiencing the car's capabilities. This makes taking it out on the weekend and pushing different from driving it the rest of the time. It's like having your cake and getting to eat it when the conditions are right. Sure it won't be a flawless example of the breed when it's said and done, but I bought this car for me to enjoy, not the next guy.
This guy gets it.

Adamn

Established Member
I bought my car with 18k miles and it currently sits just shy of 21k so I average about 1k over the 3 years that I've owned it. I would love to drive it more but I don't get a lot of opportunities to do so since I don't drive it to work or in bad weather. One reason I don't really want to put 10k+ miles a year on my car is because I plan on keeping it for a very long time and I want it to look good for a very long time.

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
I just bought my car this summer, only managed to put 600 miles so far, just a weekend cruiser, I dont have lots of time, since I run my own business, along with wife, kid, house projects etc... what it was to be young less responsibilities more time with the toys, oh well....

bobafett

Established Member
Low mile club here. Got an 04 SY (29K miles), an 03 black(14K miles) and a 2014 Viper TA. I don't daily drive my toys and they only see nice weather and are not exposed to the elements. I agree those comments are often backed by jealousy, stupidity and/or ignorance. All that "if that car was mine" bullshit. Live and let live and don't worry about how others enjoy their shit.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Yes I am tired of hearing it every where. Until I tell someone how many miles are on it and they are WOW it's practically brand new. I would love to own it.

big dad

Established Member
I actually haven't driven mine in over 3 years but it's in the trailer with the 86. I was going to get it out this year after I finally got it dynoed in June but I had other priorities, btw the dyno put 4 miles on it. I also didn't put alot of miles on the 86 for the same reason. Right now it looks like next summer will be the soonest to drive it again.

elcobrita

Established Member
I hear it all the time from the guy at my job who is stuck in the 80s. Annoying prick. Just seeing him I get sick. All he talks about was his stock 87 and how bad ass he was. He had one race in that car and he's bad ass.

That sounds like some of the guys here in 20 years. LOL

Deric

Established Member
It's not the snow that ruins cars/trucks here, it's the salt! So yeah if you want a rusted out cobra that's up to you. Oh and the high today was 12 degrees with wind gust up to 40 mph.

Exactly.

But I rarely hear those comments about driving in snow from anywhere but this forum. People from this area know that between Nov - April you don't drive something you plan to keep for very long!

BladeX10

Established Member
I love driving my toys, Its part of the fun getting them dirty to clean them up. Wouldnt have it any other way.

I do understand why those who have super low mileage cars dont drive them much. I would probably do the same thing since the car is basically an investment. Thats why i buy all my cars with higher mileage so i dont feel bad about driving it.

03SonicSVT

Established Member
I agree, its all up to the owner.I could and would drive mine everyday. But whats the point to drive it to work and sit in traffic?

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
I understand both sides, however, one of the things I enjoy most about cars in general is that two identical cars can be treated entirely different than the other. That's what makes them so personal. If I want mine to be more of a high powered street car garage queen while another owner tracks his, drives it in the snow, throws his fast food bags in the back seat and so on, that's how each of us are expressing oursevles through our cars. Its great. Now for someone to tell YOU what to do with YOUR car is where they cross the line.

I believe in driving the car, but I want mine to remain special. My Mach 1 used to be my garage queen, now its a DD along with my truck and the Cobra is polished in the 3rd car bay. I can tell you the Mach 1 has felt less special. I have gotten used to it and haven't even seen the shaker right in front of my nose unless I look for it.

It is near impossible to keep a daily driven car clean. I only was able to do this when I was in high school and had no other obligations after school.

I don't want to preserve my car for someone else, however, I do want to enjoy it over a longer period of time, a weekend and a night or two out at a time. I see my car as being sold at Barrett Jackson when I'm 95 years old and it being preserved since it's so old. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. That's my decision, so everyone else can make theirs.

I ran into a very popular SY Cobra identical to mine. Both 2004s purchased with the same mileage on the clock. One belongs to "MYTAXY" who has given the car an excellent name as far as what Terminators can do. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him run that car and beat on it. It also shows it with rattles and normal wear and tear for a car doing that duty. It's an automatic, caged with SRA and more on the track side. He has run a 300 shot on it, removed the original engine, parachute, and built the car stronger. It's also awesome. Not ripping on his car, but it has really bad swirl marks, chunks missing on the bumpers, bumpers hanging, greasy hand marks all over it, rattles and gear whine that you hear in the videos,..etc... Because Racecar. That's what he wants and I compare it to my garage queen that smells and feels like a brand new car and I would never trade. I enjoy knowing my car is every bit as capable if I chose, but keep mine how my style is. Immaculate, polished, getting on it a little on weekends, etc. It's more important to me to have my car as clean as new than it is important to me to have it hit xx.xx at the strip. As I compare mine to his, I am glad I have what I have and he has what he has. They are both completely different. He has done things with that car that I would never do, but that's completely his choice and he's had a ton of fun. After seeing the abuse his terminator has taken, I feel really good about mine knowing it would take the same punishment..but since I haven't done that to it, how much longer will it last?

I think some people get upset that they have beaten their cars to crap and then retaliate by pointing their finger and accusing others of not enjoying the car. I feel I am enjoying the car exactly how I feel I want to. I struggle with peer pressure with everyone wanting me to beat it, but seriously- 1) I don't want to turn mine into a rattle trap 2) I work 60 hours a week and don't have time to have the engine out of the car 3) It's somewhat entertaining to see people get mad that I treat my things how I want. It makes me even more suborn to express myself and hold my ground. End of the day, I can still do anything to my car, even duplicate it into a taxy if I wanted to. I enjoy the freedom and that's why I own the car. All this talk is making me want to take it for a drive.

His
BCCF2E4F-3768-4987-B9CA-61B6624CA989-1405-0000011133E410E8_zpsafd9abaf.jpg
IMG_4796_zps8778c265.png

Mine
7C56693F-09FD-474E-80B2-0F20A6D2E44C-981-000001074344264E_zps7cc740dc.jpg
IMG_7921_zps29f8e5f6.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread