There she blows!

darreng505

Established Member
Glad to hear they will take care of it man.

I would try to warranty my recently blown clutch and trans gears but that means they would just replace it with the same garbage. So now I get to put a 2.66 Magnum XL in....:rockon:

I keep telling myself that, but one too many beers and the internet could end up with a big box from Hellion on my doorstep.

Or this: http://www.jpcracing.com/coyote-stroker-short-block-351ci/

Last edited:

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
There are more than just those failures. Most ive seen have come on virtually stock cars with track key. Its a ford factory tuning problem more than anything. Lean condition caused by factory tuning. Detonation stock or modified will kill any motor

This, we tried to have the car dynoed at VIR about 3 weeks ago. They couldn't finish it because it was spark knocking at 7K rpms and seeing close to 15-1 air/fuel ratio. I normally see high 13s and low 14s when just driving around or even on track. I also see high 20s when it goes into limp mode. I'm starting to really believe its in the tune. Its running too lean IMO.

What kind of gas were you running?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
This, we tried to have the car dynoed at VIR about 3 weeks ago. They couldn't finish it because it was spark knocking at 7K rpms and seeing close to 15-1 air/fuel ratio. I normally see high 13s and low 14s when just driving around or even on track. I also see high 20s when it goes into limp mode. I'm starting to really believe its in the tune. Its running too lean IMO.

Well shit man,

Did you really go driving around and beating on the car with 14 and 15s a/f? Your car should have been 14-14.1 TOPS at max load.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
SRSLY guys Ford has stood by it's products for years even with "performance driving" it wasn't that long ago that NO ONE would warranty something like this, FWIW Ford has warranted quite a few of the old Terminator Cobras that broke under "less than ideal" conditions.
In Grand Am we have to run the stock engines but you are allowed to have Roush square the block (overbore) install good rod bolts and decent valve springs, the motor is good for 40-50 hours of competition.
Maybe you track guys should consider it as well. At least when it goes out of warranty, then let a local shop do it. (Roush would be a little intense)

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
Well shit man,

Did you really go driving around and beating on the car with 14 and 15s a/f? Your car should have been 14-14.1 TOPS at max load.

Like i said, most of the time the AF gauge showed high 13s and low 14s; but the dyno is what showed the 15 AF ratio and was the only place i heard the car struggle. I chalked it up at the time to just heat soak and maybe an off reading.

Shaun@AED

It's likely pump gas + lean A/F + the extra heat generated by road course that caused the problem.
It's why we recommend 4-5 octane more when on the road course, along with running a fatter A/F than on Drag / Street tunes.

Could have also been a miss-fire condition that tripped a P0315 and defaulted to 1.0 Lambda at all throttle positions. (P0315 triggers 'default' fueling)

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
Got to take a look for myself this morning. Its as they said. It went out pritty bad. There are pieces of metal in almost everything. Here are the photos of the damage.

The hole
976921_693609790655838_682408749_o.jpg

Corresponding cylinder head
1015581_693609833989167_576310602_o.jpg

Outside view of the block
1014566_693610243989126_1918686296_o.jpg

Inside
976325_693610100655807_1694981058_o.jpg

driver side cylinder head
1015662_693609970655820_1606614313_o.jpg

Passenger side cylinder head
706187_693609893989161_352681403_o.jpg

My question now becomes, since the motor is out, is there anything i should do to try and improve the cooling on this car to try and prevent future issues? I'm thinking the MMR head cooling mod but not sure. Any ideas?

jojobee

Established Member
Since its being replaced under warranty i dont see how you will get Ford to install something like the MMR cooling mod.
Although its feasable with the motor and tranny on the car the guys that did it all said it was a real pita.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Would you want to start modding it now? Seems like Ford is standing by their product and you would want to keep you warranty.

Do you loose the matching numbered engine or can they transfer the Nebraska for you?

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
The cooling crossover would not void any warranties, and could improve engine life. A talk with the service manager, and maybe pay the half hour labor that the install would take should get the job done. Considering that the engine is out, they should install it gratis, for your inconvenience. If they do, slip the technician $20...it's not his fault the engine blew, and he is working flat rate.

Shaun@AED

At PRI I was chatting with the Ford Racing boys and they said rod bolt stretch was a major issue. This failure looks very much like it could be rod bolt failure if it was not severe detonation. Further inspection by Ford should pin point the cause.

jojobee

Established Member
At PRI I was chatting with the Ford Racing boys and they said rod bolt stretch was a major issue. This failure looks very much like it could be rod bolt failure if it was not severe detonation. Further inspection by Ford should pin point the cause.

So that means that whenever you build a bottom end you should always get the arp2000 bolts even if its an option and not "necessary"

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
Would you want to start modding it now? Seems like Ford is standing by their product and you would want to keep you warranty.

Do you loose the matching numbered engine or can they transfer the Nebraska for you?

I don't consider it modding as much as i am concerned about longevity and a protection of my investment. I like they are standing behind it but i don't want to go through this again. If it keeps the engine cool, keeps misfiring to nill, and improves overall function, then i will do it as long as it doesn't affect warranty. Something i don't see happening with the head cooling mod.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
wow man. glad ford is stepping up an fixing the car for ya

forcefedcobra

Established Member
nicholas........it is my opinion that more often than not the "cooling" issue in the 03/04 cobra had more to do with tune than head cooling issue. detonation in a slightly sub par cooled cylinder causing more heat, piston to swell etc etc. I highly doubt it would have helped to save what you just had happen. however like others have said while out its not an expensive little mod to maybe help just the slightest bit. solid tuning and octane vs spark is more my concern.

I was expecting to see a nice chunk knocked out of your block. not a hole that looked like it was milled out of the block.

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
nicholas........it is my opinion that more often than not the "cooling" issue in the 03/04 cobra had more to do with tune than head cooling issue. detonation in a slightly sub par cooled cylinder causing more heat, piston to swell etc etc. I highly doubt it would have helped to save what you just had happen. however like others have said while out its not an expensive little mod to maybe help just the slightest bit. solid tuning and octane vs spark is more my concern.

I was expecting to see a nice chunk knocked out of your block. not a hole that looked like it was milled out of the block.

Unfortunately tuning is something i don't have much of an option with in this case. They are going to use what ever ford tells them to use. Octane i may be able to help but i stopped adding any 100 octane because i had heard that we suppose to use it.:??:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Unfortunately tuning is something i don't have much of an option with in this case. They are going to use what ever ford tells them to use. Octane i may be able to help but i stopped adding any 100 octane because i had heard that we suppose to use it.:??:

I understand. has me weighing risk/reward of tuning vs staying stock on my car.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'm not sure I would tell them you were "racing" but honestly it shouldn't matter.

Would be ironic for Ford to void his warranty for tracking the car with the red key, especially since it's marketed as a track racing car and the red key isn't street legal.

I am more interested in the interest of ford on the video, red key, it not being timed and you missing a shift.......... Really!?

Agreed, the car is marketed to race on a road course. No disclosure that I have read excludes road course raced cars from engine failure warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread