There she blows!

Jabooh1

Established Member
With track key the warranty is 3/36000? I am going to wait till it is out till i touch anything. Or at least I say that now ;)

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
With track key the warranty is 3/36000? I am going to wait till it is out till i touch anything. Or at least I say that now ;)
I keep telling myself that, but one too many beers and the internet could end up with a big box from Hellion on my doorstep.

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
Latest update on the Boss: Motor is completely toast. Everything from the manifold to the catalytic converters has to be replaced. When the motor let go, it went bad. It is going to be covered under warranty at this point. On another note, apparently Ford engineers found my video from the event and when the motor let go. They called the dealer and had them send them the stuff to make sure i was using the red key and that i didn't miss a shift. since i didn't do either and the event wasn't timed then they are going to cover it. I am going to be really curious to find out what happened to this engine and so is Ford. I'm going to get pictures of this hopefully soon. New motor and stuff is on order as of today and i should have an ETA of getting my car back soon.

BUCKET

Established Member
I am more interested in the interest of ford on the video, red key, it not being timed and you missing a shift.......... Really!?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Very scary that a boss motor pops like that. Hope it all gets resolved for you.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I was planning to a a boss forged bottom end on my supercharged gt for safety.
I guess that its not that strong after all, geeeez more money again.

I hear you man. It makes me nervous as hell due to the fact that my truck sports the 5.0 motor. Not sure if I should leave it stock for longevity or have Shaun@AED tune it.

I have read so much on the subject and heard the different points it makes my head spin.

Fuuuuuuuuu!!!!!

bpmurr

Established Member
I am more interested in the interest of ford on the video, red key, it not being timed and you missing a shift.......... Really!?

When I tried to get my clutch warrantied on my 2010 GT500 the SVT engineer read posts back to me from this very site. It was pretty scary and wanted to make me give up on the Ford brand all together. Glad they're honoring the warranty as they should.

Jabooh1

Established Member
I don't understand the "not timed". If it was a timed event then it wouldn't be covered? Also doesn't it have a v limiter, why would missing a shift void warranty?

Sounds kinda crappy to me.

12C/OBoss

Established Member
the ONLY other Roadrunner I have seen blow was Rick Wilsons with the ProCharger on Torco. It was making somewhere north of 850RWHP and in high heat. And it burned pistons...not a catastrophic failure like yours. Sounds like a rod bolt/torque issue was to blame. There are a TON of turbo/supercharged Boss on stock motors making WELL NORTH of 700-800 RWHP or 850-950 motor hp and NO failures at all. Hell Racerat broke 2 or trans input shafts and 1 MT82 before she went auto IIRC!!! And I ran my Boss in 90 plus heat on a 50/50mix of 93 and Sunoco purple for a few racetrack runs (hehe) that were from 85-150+++ and never had an issue. And long sustained pulls in high heat and 14-15psi with a twin screw blower will tax a motor WAAAAAYYY more than a n/a track day. I am glad it is being covered...as it should be on a "track" car that was not modded. So after over 2 years this is only 2 motor failures, one making approx 1000 hp and the other stock! The Roadrunner engineers did their job with this one!!!

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't understand the "not timed". If it was a timed event then it wouldn't be covered? Also doesn't it have a v limiter, why would missing a shift void warranty?

Sounds kinda crappy to me.
A timed event is racing, and is not covered under warranty. Non timed events are just performance driving and do not void the warranty. My friend had his Lotus covered by insurance because he was in a non timed run with no other cars on the track.......then they cancelled his policy.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
the ONLY other Roadrunner I have seen blow was Rick Wilsons with the ProCharger on Torco. It was making somewhere north of 850RWHP and in high heat. And it burned pistons...not a catastrophic failure like yours. Sounds like a rod bolt/torque issue was to blame. There are a TON of turbo/supercharged Boss on stock motors making WELL NORTH of 700-800 RWHP or 850-950 motor hp and NO failures at all. Hell Racerat broke 2 or trans input shafts and 1 MT82 before she went auto IIRC!!! And I ran my Boss in 90 plus heat on a 50/50mix of 93 and Sunoco purple for a few racetrack runs (hehe) that were from 85-150+++ and never had an issue. And long sustained pulls in high heat and 14-15psi with a twin screw blower will tax a motor WAAAAAYYY more than a n/a track day. I am glad it is being covered...as it should be on a "track" car that was not modded. So after over 2 years this is only 2 motor failures, one making approx 1000 hp and the other stock! The Roadrunner engineers did their job with this one!!!

There are more than just those failures. Most ive seen have come on virtually stock cars with track key. Its a ford factory tuning problem more than anything. Lean condition caused by factory tuning. Detonation stock or modified will kill any motor

BUCKET

Established Member
I make 862rwhp on my 13 boss. Pump gas with no problem as of yet and I drive it hard every chance I get. I am really curious to what happen and wtf with all of fords stipulations on stalking the Internet on you.

BossJake

Established Member
I make 862rwhp on my 13 boss. Pump gas with no problem as of yet and I drive it hard every chance I get. I am really curious to what happen and wtf with all of fords stipulations on stalking the Internet on you.

+1 on this.

Glad that it looks like they are going to cover it for you though...

Last edited:

Tyler72

Established Member
Why are you disappointed? They are going to take care of it. The Ford engineers are car guys too & they read the very same forums we do. Now... The whole missing a shift thing is kinda odd bc they are the ones who chose to put a terrible shifter in our cars along with a clutch with hydraulics that cannot handle the RPM of a Boss engine. That's what the rev limiter is for.

Ochoblanco

Established Member
Latest update on the Boss: Motor is completely toast. Everything from the manifold to the catalytic converters has to be replaced. When the motor let go, it went bad. It is going to be covered under warranty at this point. On another note, apparently Ford engineers found my video from the event and when the motor let go. They called the dealer and had them send them the stuff to make sure i was using the red key and that i didn't miss a shift. since i didn't do either and the event wasn't timed then they are going to cover it. I am going to be really curious to find out what happened to this engine and so is Ford. I'm going to get pictures of this hopefully soon. New motor and stuff is on order as of today and i should have an ETA of getting my car back soon.

Definitely a bit crazy but its the social media day and age so it shouldn't come as too big of a surprise. I am just glad Ford is taking care of it for you under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread