There she blows!

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
Well my motor took a turn for the worst yesterday.:cryying: It decided to let go while trying to shift into 5th the car went pop and lost all power. You can hear in the video kinda what happened but you cant see the smoke out of the tail pipes. My question is how long did it take for those who have also had them pop to get them back and what happened. Just trying to get ideas.

NCCAR and motor pop - YouTube

BossJake

Established Member
That sucks.... Did you have any mods done to the motor? From the video it doesn't sound like you were being overly aggressive. Kinda scary, if you didn't do any mods, these motors shouldn't let loose like that.

Ochoblanco

Established Member
I have not seen or heard of an NA roadrunner motor going boom until now.

I have seen them go into limp mode but not pop. Have you accessed the damage yet?

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
That sucks.... Did you have any mods done to the motor? From the video it doesn't sound like you were being overly aggressive. Kinda scary, if you didn't do any mods, these motors shouldn't let loose like that.

Aside from a K&N air filter and a magnaflow catback no. There was no indication it was going to let go. Oil pressure and temps seemed normal for what i see on track days. Oil levels were fine the day prior to the event and no discoloration in the coolant afterwards. I did see a nice coat of oil on the driver's side front control arm afterwards though.

darreng505

Established Member
That sucks man. But at the track yesterday I also had something bad going into 5th.
One session it popped out of 5th and the next session either I burnt the syncros or otherwise lost 5th gear. Did a session with my 4 working gears but then started to lose 4th.

The motor seems fine, but I did hear some loud noise trying to jam it into 5th and quickly got on the clutch to disengage the drivetrain. I'm sure in my case its either the clutch going bad or the trans gears. Either way, they're both getting junked for a magnum xl.

Tyler72

Established Member
Very odd for sure. These things are usually bullet proof. Fortunately you shouldn't have any problems with getting it fixed under warranty with those mods, as long as it wasn't tuned. I'm not sure I would tell them you were "racing" but honestly it shouldn't matter.

And yes they are forged. The rods are still kinda a spin off of powdered metal, but by definition they are forged. The pistons are manufactured by Mahle, and even have their special coating & their name on the inside of the piston.

Last edited:

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
How many miles on it????

17,353 at point of breaking

i thought the boss had forged internals? do you think it was the tune?

They should have as someone above stated. It was the stock red key so its possible but IDK.

First update on the Boss: There is a new hole in the block that wasn't there before. A rod decided it wanted to live a free life and didn't succeed. No word on the heads or valvetrain yet but they just wanted to let me know what they found so far. As for the warranty, the guy thought i had a custom tune so he never looked into it. Once i let him know it was under track key, he said he will look into it. Should know something by tomorrow.

Ochoblanco

Established Member
The Trackey plus a drop in filter and catback definitely shouldn't have blown a rod... Especially with a forged bottom end. Keep us updated

Jabooh1

Established Member
How many track days did you get out of her before she blew? I have my first in 6 weeks then another in 4 after that.

Very interested to see how Ford handles it.

Tyler72

Established Member
Ford will most likely bring in a warranty engineer. He can hook up to the car & see quite a bit more than the dealership as far as programming goes. But, if you just have the mods listed & its a Ford tune it shouldn't be an issue. Be nice to the dealership though & work with them because they make more on customer pay jobs than warranty work so its actually in their favor to not even try to warranty it. Hopefully they will do the right thing & fix it for you though. I'd say this is legitimate.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I looked at a 12 a while back that had a burnt engine bay. track day with track key and a hole in the block. frpp says it wasnt the track key that caused it and ford says it wasnt a problem with the motor. from what I understand the owner is now seaking legal action.

I hope that yours doesnt come to that. Nothing you have done caused the problem. Like said on fb I have heard from credible sources issues with the factory tune going lean afer wot. similar issue that terminators had.

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
The initial assessment by the dealership is the mods did not cause the failure. Tech line wants them to pull the motor to gain a better look at it but because of previous issues with misfires on that side of the motor it will likely be covered under warranty. The guy im working with has good experience it seems like with performance stuff so he seems to be on my side with the idea that the failures where not the result of the catbacks and the air filter.

Ochoblanco

Established Member
The initial assessment by the dealership is the mods did not cause the failure. Tech line wants them to pull the motor to gain a better look at it but because of previous issues with misfires on that side of the motor it will likely be covered under warranty. The guy im working with has good experience it seems like with performance stuff so he seems to be on my side with the idea that the failures where not the result of the catbacks and the air filter.

Those mods don't violate the warranty anyway so you will be good to go.

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
Stories like this are why I'm holding off on headers and a tune. Good luck with everything, sounds like you're on the right track right now.

Users who are viewing this thread