"The ZL1 name should be protected"

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
This Camaro5's guys are geniuses...

The solution for the slaughtering the Trinity will put on the ZL-1 is...

Chevy benchmarked the gt500 & the boss 302 to make the ZL1. Ford is using the Ford GT to benchmark the '13 GT500. Think about it... Let that settle in.

Alright, that being noted with the Ford GT being the baddest Ford from the factory, it leads me to think there is a reasonable chance the '13 GT500 will out perform our ZL1.

I think the easiest fix would be to change the '13 ZL1 badge to something else (perhaps Z28 or SS). Maybe change the badge name on the current SS to maybe Z28. I think the name changes should come with more options as well. The ZL1 name should be protected. This situation is just a matter of bad timing with the 650hp beast coming out.

Or for '13 ZL1 just improve the LS9 to 670hp and make it 680-700 for the ZR1.

Otherwise I just feel that I will be forced to see the ZL1 be embarrassed in one way or the other. Time will tell.

[ame=http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202381]ZL1 vs '13 GT500 Solution for GM - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com[/ame]

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
1st step: Realizing you have and will be defeated by the '13 GT500.
2nd step: Admitting it.
3rd step: ?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
That site cracks me up. Just read this little gem over there.
Oh Unleashed Beast, what did you do now, lol.
[ame=http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199874]Attention Mustang Friends!! - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com[/ame]

snakecharmer

Established Member
He needs to work on his understanding of power to weight ratios. The Camaro has to have at LEAST 700hp just to match the GT500. 670 won't cut it.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
3rd step: ?

3rd step: Support group with spooning and cuddling for comfort.
4th step: Running simulations again....

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Attention Mustang Friends!! - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

what a bunch of.....:burn:

3rd step: Support group with spooning and cuddling for comfort.
4th step: Running simulations again....

:lol:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Guys, if you understand how the auto industry works you'll see how this is pretty much it for GM. The ZL1 is basically the last big move for that platform. They're not going to pour more money into it, they simply don't have it to spend on such a small run car. I actually feel a little sorry for Al O. I have a feeling that he really never had any idea SVT was working on something as big as the 2013. I'm sure the news out of LA had to be a huge embarrassment.

Also, just for the sake of argument, let's just say GM tried to scramble up an answer to the 2013. They're going to have to leapfrog Ford with a higher HP number to be taken the least bit seriously, let's assume they'd go to 670HP. To get there they would have to move to the LS9 engine, which is far more expensive than the LSA. They would then have to package it, upgrade the cooling systems, pass emissions, strengthen the transmission, the driveline, and the chassis, then rework the entire rear suspension. Remember, you can't simply add 100HP to an IRS equipped car without modifying the rear suspension and driveline to handle it. They simply don't have the time or money to put something like that together before SVT has come up with whatever they're latest and greatest is.

GM simply got caught with their pants down, end of story.

swordjr24

WNALOSE
Established Member
Guys, if you understand how the auto industry works you'll see how this is pretty much it for GM. The ZL1 is basically the last big move for that platform. They're not going to pour more money into it, they simply don't have it to spend on such a small run car. I actually feel a little sorry for Al O. I have a feeling that he really never had any idea SVT was working on something as big as the 2013. I'm sure the news out of LA had to be a huge embarrassment.

Also, just for the sake of argument, let's just say GM tried to scramble up an answer to the 2013. They're going to have to leapfrog Ford with a higher HP number to be taken the least bit seriously, let's assume they'd go to 670HP. To get there they would have to move to the LS9 engine, which is far more expensive than the LSA. They would then have to package it, upgrade the cooling systems, pass emissions, strengthen the transmission, the driveline, and the chassis, then rework the entire rear suspension. Remember, you can't simply add 100HP to an IRS equipped car without modifying the rear suspension and driveline to handle it. They simply don't have the time or money to put something like that together before SVT has come up with whatever they're latest and greatest is.

Couldn't have been said better.

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
Attention Mustang Friends!! - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

:lol: Sometimes I think that Camaro5 is ran by a group of Dodge guys joking and having a good time trashing the Camaro community. To much stupidity concentrated in just one place. "Attention Mustangs Friends!!" what the hell was that? Sounds like Shakespeare isnt it?

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Funny what this guy posted up on that same thread...
Quote:
My father-in-law is the finance manager at a ford dealership and we were discussing the ZL1 and the '13 GT500. I asked him what he thought MSRP would be for the GT500 and he said he fully expects it to be some where around 67-68k BASE. He admits that he doesn't know for sure but he's been at his job for a good while now and I would assume he has a pretty good idea. Take it for what it's worth. I think it might be a little high for a guesstimation but probably not too far off.

Eh i think your father-in-law is completely wrong :nono:

slynch68

Established Member
Sid is right...not just in the IRS, transmission and rest of the driveline but the whole chassis itself is inferior to the s197. That will always be the case in the Mustang vs Camaro war. The chassis...the foundation has to be strong

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member

:bowdown:

Users who are viewing this thread