"The ZL1 name should be protected"

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
that place is so sad that i actually saw someone talking about how the ZL1 would be a better daily car because it "probably has more ground clearance than the boss". blew my mind. blew my ****ing mind.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
The ZL1 is a great car! It has good power to weight and handles great for how heavy it is. This said however its real competition is the 11/12 GT500, nothing more nothing less.

The mistake GM made was laughing at Ford saying the 11/12 GT500 is as fast as the n/a Boss. Now people are laughing back at GM because the ZL1 is only as fast as the 11/12 GT500! Bottom line GM caused this downfall not because of the car they built but because of the exceptions they created without deliverance!

This pretty much sums it up. :thumbsup:

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
Well atleast he realizes that the GT500 will be a far superior auto :)

Nah man, that dude is an aberration of the norm right there. Right now they're on this trip that there're lots things more important than a HP number and they're happy cause they have the most advanced pony car. Even counting the '13 GT500.

I had a good laugh over this! :)

Im a little surprised they havnt come trolling over here yet. Thankfully they havnt

Cause if they left their little capsule they'll die. The sad part is ALL their bench racing analysis out of rumors. The last one is that Trinity will be a tad quicker on the 1/4 mile but will lost on a road curse to the ZL-1. This was based on a comment by a tire engineer that do some things w/ Ford. Now, here we are taking for granted the expressions made by J. Hameedi about Trinity being faster than a FGT on a road curse.

Last edited:

yenko boy

Established Member
Coming from someone who is unbiased. Gm did a good job with the zl1 even if they knew about the 650hp Shelby before development of the zl1 was complete what could they have done differently? With the platform they were working with I can't seem them doing much better. My opinion is the Shelby is now in uncharted territory and will prob be compared with cars that cost a lot more then it that it prob won't have a real shot at competing with stock. But it doesn't matter cause like many others have said it's a great time to be an enthusiast.

SVT_SRT8

Established Member
GM did build a great car. Unfortunately its not going to be as good as the best mustang out. It's funny how the tables turn and ignorant people change their point of view. It took GM 6 years of development to make the 2010 Camaro SS. Sure it was a good car that was better than the 2010 mustang gt which is basically just an 05 GT with a different body. The Camaro is just an imitator always has and always will be. There wouldn't even be one if the original Mustang sales weren't so high. IMO the Camaro is the knockoff of the mustang. Kind of like how china is trying to build hummers/f150s. I don't really car too much about the camaro vs mustang anymore though. For me the 03/04 cobra "terminated" the discussion. kudos to GM for putting eaton blowers on their zr1/zl1 and following in Ford's footsteps once again. By the way who else was at the rolex to watch the Ford prototypes whoop on the brand new corvette ones?

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
I think my favourite part about Camaro5 is the undeniable fact that most of the members are people that bought the car because of Transformers and that drag queen Megan Fox. :p The best part is them constantly stating the ZL1 has more advanced technology it it then the GT500, MSRC, PTM, IRS and the HUD and that's pretty much all you got. They constantly make me feel ashamed to be a member there.....

Squamishcoyote

Wheel Hoppin
Established Member
I honestly can't wait to see the 2014/2015 vette. You know theres no way Chevy is gunna let a mustang walk on every model of vette (except the Zr-1) for very long... Next gen vette gonna be SICK... I might have to put off buying a house for a couple more years

Redzone

Established Member
I joined the Camaro5 forum when the ZL1 was first being talked about. I enjoy all fast cars & had every intention of buying one. All the talk was about how the ZL1 would destroy the GT500 when it was announced it would have 580HP.

Then,when Ford basically farted in GM's face with the announcement of of the 650HP '13 GT500, they slowly got away from saying it would destroy the Mustang and now hang their hat on praying it will be faster on a road course.

I hope that fact(if true) will give them some comfort when they roll up on a '13 GT500 at a stop light and get a mud hole stomped into them.

Since joining this forum I've learned that the new GT500 used the Ford GT as a measuring stick,while GM used the Grand Sport Corvette. I'm fortunate enough to have both the cars they measured against and have come to the conclusion that the ZL1 won't be a car I'm interested in any longer.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Just wait til the 13's come out and a few videos pop up on YouTube of some inexperienced guys running 14 sec 1/4 miles in the new gt500. Camaro5 will rejoice in their "triumph". Everyone knows it, I'm just saying it, haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
1st step: Realizing you have and will be defeated by the '13 GT500.
2nd step: Admitting it.
3rd step: Support group with spooning and cuddling for comfort.
4th step: Running simulations again....

:lol:

Just wait til the 13's come out and a few videos pop up on YouTube of some inexperienced guys running 14 sec 1/4 miles in the new gt500. Camaro5 will rejoice in their "triumph". Everyone knows it, I'm just saying it, haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm well prepared for that.

That forum is the worst.

yenko boy

Established Member
I honestly can't wait to see the 2014/2015 vette. You know theres no way Chevy is gunna let a mustang walk on every model of vette (except the Zr-1) for very long... Next gen vette gonna be SICK... I might have to put off buying a house for a couple more years

At this time im thinking the 13 shelby will give the z06 a good fight but the z06 will edge it out. With stock z06's trapping as high as 127mph thats gonna be hard to beat.

chuckstang

Established Member
At this time im thinking the 13 shelby will give the z06 a good fight but the z06 will edge it out. With stock z06's trapping as high as 127mph thats gonna be hard to beat.

In a straight line the gt500 will edge out the z06 but on a road course the z06 will edge out the gt500. Basically i think you have it backwards

IcebourgGT500

Established Member

Not many corvette driver's can trap 127 mph in a stock C6 ZO6. "Ranger" is the exception to the rule. Bone stock my 2007 C6 ZO6 would trap 123 to 124 in the 1/4 mile and that was with 1.6X 60 ft times. The C6 ZO6 hated being powershifted as well. Many owners were having a tough time trapping in the 120's.

The C6 ZO6 shines when it comes to roll-ons on the hwy. Only time will tell but it does prove a point when the 2013 Shelby GT500 is now being compared to the mighty C6 ZO6 and no longer the ZL1.:burnout:

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member

If you use the launch control on the 2013 GT500 you are covered from running anything super embarrassing. It's two shifts and a computer launching. Let's say you're the slowest shifter in the world and you only have one arm. You still shouldn't run worse than 12.5.

The GT500 in cool weather being shifted hard puts up brutal mph.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
If you use the launch control on the 2013 GT500 you are covered from running anything super embarrassing. It's two shifts and a computer launching. Let's say you're the slowest shifter in the world and you only have one arm. You still shouldn't run worse than 12.5.

yea when i get mine im going to run it both ways, manual and with launch aid...though im old school and a firm believer in having the skill to launch the car and shift...but the launch control will be a fun thing to try and run consistent times i think....cant wait :banana:

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member

Gotta keep in mind, it will only take 1 owner, 1 track, and 1 video camera for them to rejoice

It will happen

:lol1:

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
Gotta keep in mind, it will only take 1 owner, 1 track, and 1 video camera for them to rejoice

It will happen

:lol1:

I wouldn't worry about it too much, considering there's already a video of the ZL1 running a 13.5 in the hands of a magazine tester. And this is after the Camaro guys screaming "the GT500 can't put the power to the ground" over and over for years.

Kewlv8

Established Member
I think the easiest fix would be to change the '13 ZL1 badge to something else (perhaps Z28 or SS). Maybe change the badge name on the current SS to maybe Z28. I think the name changes should come with more options as well. The ZL1 name should be protected. This situation is just a matter of bad timing with the 650hp beast coming out.

Or for '13 ZL1 just improve the LS9 to 670hp and make it 680-700 for the ZR1.

Otherwise I just feel that I will be forced to see the ZL1 be embarrassed in one way or the other. Time will tell.

Please tell me all GM owners are not this stupid. No wonder Camaro5 is a laughing stock of the car community. Too bad they don’t police their own stupidity over there, instead of banning those that don’t tolerate it. I guess that forum is to just pat themselves on the back about how great their car is. “ZOMG, somebody complimented my Camaro LT today, I’m gonna start a thread!” :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread