The skinny on the Inexpensive Hop Fix

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
jimwood said:
Where did you get this information, i.e. a two piece configuration prevents binding. The sleeve is always allows movement, what is suppose to bind? I dont get this, but am interested in knowing more. Thanks.

What do you mean by sleeve? MM has a two piece set-up to connect the shock to the shock tower. An aluminum cup mounts on top of the circlip on the shock. Inside the cup goes a Delrin bushing with round bottom to allow the shock eye movement from side to side inside the cup without binding. The Delrin bushing is directly under the shock tower. On the top of the shock tower goes a rubber bushing and the nut to retain the shock. The shock moves from side to side during suspension articulation if the mount to the shock tower is solid then shock movement is therefore restricted placing an uneven load on the shock towers. Without coil-overs it might not be as big of deal, but with the additional load already placed on the towers with coil-overs this could cause a failure.

You can see them in this picture.
MMCO-3.jpg

The cups are the bare aluminum pieces on the bottom left and the Delrin bushings are right under them and are white.

If you want to see exactly what I am talking about here is the installation document and look at steps 25-27.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/instructions/MMCO-4r2.pdf

Last edited:

dougwg

Established Member
um... could you guys take this OUT OF MY THREAD :cuss:

That does look like a nice setup though ;-)

Last edited:

jimwood

Established Member
toofast4u said:
What do you mean by sleeve? MM has a two piece set-up to connect the shock to the shock tower. An aluminum cup mounts on top of the circlip on the shock. Inside the cup goes a Delrin bushing with round bottom to allow the shock eye movement from side to side inside the cup without binding. The Delrin bushing is directly under the shock tower. On the top of the shock tower goes a rubber bushing and the nut to retain the shock. The shock moves from side to side during suspension articulation if the mount to the shock tower is solid then shock movement is therefore restricted placing an uneven load on the shock towers. Without coil-overs it might not be as big of deal, but with the additional load already placed on the towers with coil-overs this could cause a failure.

If you want to see exactly what I am talking about here is the installation document and look at steps 25-27.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/instructions/MMCO-4r2.pdf

Thanks Bro. :coolman:

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
when does it look like these are going to be ready, left my name and number yesterday to get on the list for a set. thanks, richard

Jpjr

Established Member
Hey Doug,

Maybe I'm just a poor reader, but is the deal that we purchase these shocks and you just sell the bracket, or your going to buy the shocks and sell the whole thing as a kit?

I may be more interested now that I just realized exactly how much money one thousand four hundred dollars is to spend on coil-overs :(

oldnfast

approaching ancient
Established Member
dougwg said:
I'll probably start machining on them tomorrow

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

:read: Don't forget me Doug. My shocks came in yesterday.

dougwg

Established Member
Jpjr said:
Hey Doug,

Maybe I'm just a poor reader, but is the deal that we purchase these shocks and you just sell the bracket, or your going to buy the shocks and sell the whole thing as a kit?

I may be more interested now that I just realized exactly how much money one thousand four hundred dollars is to spend on coil-overs :(

it's not a "bracket"

but yes thats the deal.... you buy the shocks right from Strange Engineering
and buy my adaptor kit for $50

you are a MCT member, right?.... call me at the shop

hmwave

Established Member
Doug,
I'm not clear on the benefit of reducing wheel hop with your latest kit.

I have the 00R shocks, 14mm IRS bolts, MM IRS bushings, Eibach Pro's with MM insulators, Steeda anti-hop plates welded on, and (new) 315 GS-D3's at 36psi, and my car still hops like crazy.

Do the Strange shocks combined with your kit eliminate wheel hop?

I was about to order a set of QA1's but I'm tired of spending money on this wheel hop problem with unsatisfactory results.

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
hmwave said:
Doug,
I'm not clear on the benefit of reducing wheel hop with your latest kit.

I have ... (new) 315 GS-D3's at 36psi, and my car still hops like crazy.

My understanding is that Nitto 315 drag radials at 26 psi would significantly reduce your wheel hop compared to the rear tires (and how much pressure) that you're currently using. Maybe you should just lower the pressure in your current tires and see if that helps at all.

Last edited:

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
I'd also like to know how this will work. When I had my '01 Cobra I had Kenny brown lowering springs, extreme matrix brace, QA1 12 way adjustable shocks in the back & still had wheel hop. The shocks were not a direct replacement, but we got them on. I figure your bracket tackles the fitment issue of the shocks, but will that alone cure the wheel hop? :shrug:

hmwave

Established Member
BlueOvalBill said:
My understanding is that Nitto 315 drag radials at 26 psi would significantly reduce your wheel hop compared to the rear tires (and how much pressure) that you're currently using. Maybe you should just lower the pressure in your current tires and see if that helps at all.

Thanks Bill.

I ran my previous set of 315 GS-D3's at 32psi and they were worn far more at the edges than the middle when I fitted the new set, thus the increase in pressure to 36psi to see if I wear was more even across the tire.

I'll try the 32psi for a week or so to compare.

I need an all-weather tire especially as the winter is here in the PacWest, raining and cold much of the time.

icu812

GOT MILF?
Established Member
is this a sure cure for wheel hop or just a bandaid like most of the other stuff out there? what proof do you have to back it up? before and after vids at the track or just for the street.
no flaming just curious

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
i don't think they are ready for sale yet, i'm on a waiting list for the adaptors, i'm going to try them when they are ready.

Users who are viewing this thread