The skinny on the Inexpensive Hop Fix

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
SOLISIMO said:
I hope somebody got a patent so we dont see any imitators out there :nono:

Doug, I'm a patent attorney. If you ever have any questions about patents or are interested in having a patent application prepared, please let me know.

Best regards,
Bill

dougwg

Established Member
ok I'll bite, how much? what do I get for $$
lets say I get a patent... and someone copies it...
then I have to sue them, how much would this cost
Then lets say I win in court, (they have been found in violation)
Then I have to sue them for losses
When they don't pay, then I have to sue them again for the money

It is my belief that Patents are for products that you could possibly sell millions of units

Not a possible couple hundred parts to a very small market such as 03-04 Cobras

what are your thoughts?

dougwg

Established Member
SOLISIMO said:
I hope somebody got a patent so we dont see any imitators out there :nono:

ok lets look at this...

I am selling these for $50...out of which I have to sell to my dealers for around $40

then, Minus material cost and program time and setup costs.

that cuts the $40 to about $20 profit for BilletFlow... woohoo

But wait...wages, lighting, heat, paperwork :eek:

Then I take out my time for R&D :bored:

what are we down to?...8-14 bucks... :rollseyes

now lets say I sell 200... woohoo....

200 X $14 = $2800... over what kind of time frame?

ok... so now I saved ALL the profit from this and I got $2800 from it... I know what I will do with it...lets see... I know! give it and more to a lawyer :(

NOT! :fart:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
SOLISIMO said:
Now we need to know if they will fit with the mm coilovers, or why would'nt they?

You don't need it with the MM coil-over kit. By Doug’s description it sounds like he is doing the same thing that MM coil-over kit does which is replacing the low durometer rubber bushings on the shock. The MM kit replaces the low durometer bushings with an aluminum cup and Delrin bushing configuration which provides a solid set-up and the two piece configuration prevents binding which will cause shock tower failure. I hope that Doug’s configuration has taken this into account. Doug has provided a solution which means that you don't have to go with coil-overs to get this configuration.

SOLISIMO

Signal 12
Established Member
toofast4u said:
You don't need it with the MM coil-over kit. By Doug’s description it sounds like he is doing the same thing that MM coil-over kit does which is replacing the low durometer rubber bushings on the shock. The MM kit replaces the low durometer bushings with an aluminum cup and Delrin bushing configuration which provides a solid set-up and the two piece configuration prevents binding which will cause shock tower failure. I hope that Doug’s configuration has taken this into account. Doug has provided a solution which means that you don't have to go with coil-overs to get this configuration.

So will the shocks fit my coilover setup w/o his kit, because I have no idea what you just said Aristotle :thumbsup:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
SOLISIMO said:
So will the shocks fit my coilover setup w/o his kit, because I have no idea what you just said Aristotle :thumbsup:

You can't use the strange shocks with the MM coil-over kit if that is what you are asking. MM has two kits one for Bilsteins and one for Koni's. I would suggest you use Bilstein 00R spec shocks on your car with the MM coil-over kit.

Jpjr

Established Member
TooFast or Doug,

Just to be clear, if you have already done a coil-over conversion, you would not have use for this kit? Or would it still help?

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
dougwg said:
the adaptor allows you to install an inexpensive adjustable shock

My kit has proper fitting hardware

But what is the difference between this shock and the other anti hop shocks that are out there. I havent heard of any other anti hop shocks that have actually worked out well, so these do?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Jpjr said:
TooFast or Doug,

Just to be clear, if you have already done a coil-over conversion, you would not have use for this kit? Or would it still help?

If you have the MM coil-over kit what Doug is making sounds very similar to what the MM kit has and I wouldn't change it for several reasons. If you want to try the Strange shocks it will most likely not work with the MM kit.

Jpjr

Established Member
toofast4u said:
If you have the MM coil-over kit what Doug is making sounds very similar to what the MM kit has and I wouldn't change it for several reasons. If you want to try the Strange shocks it will most likely not work with the MM kit.

I'm pretty committed to the MM conversion.. just hoping and praying that a GP or real special comes along to help out on price. I would love to see it under $1000.

dougwg

Established Member
lust seen in a magazine that Strange Engineering has just released a Coil Over Kit for these shocks

I believe the price was around $140 :rockon:

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
dougwg said:
ok I'll bite, how much? what do I get for $$
lets say I get a patent... and someone copies it...
then I have to sue them, how much would this cost
Then lets say I win in court, (they have been found in violation)
Then I have to sue them for losses
When they don't pay, then I have to sue them again for the money

It is my belief that Patents are for products that you could possibly sell millions of units

Not a possible couple hundred parts to a very small market such as 03-04 Cobras

what are your thoughts?

Doug, I agree that the cost of obtaining (and especially enforcing) a patent for this kit isn't justified based on how many units you plan to sell, how much they cost, and how much profit you're planning to make. A utility patent typically costs about $7,500 for a low-compexity invention. Enforcing a patent is much more expensive and should only be undertaken when sales lost to an infringing competitor will justify the cost.

Once a patent is issued, the patent owner gets the exclusive right to make, use, and sell the patented invention in the U.S. To enforce this right against an infringer, the patent owner has to sue the infringer in federal court.

In case anyone reading this is an independent inventor who thinks that their invention might be commercially sucessful enough to justify the cost of a patent, but they don't want to spend the money up front to obtain the patent, there's something called a provisional patent application, which can be filed for a few hundred dollars. A provisional patent application will allow the inventor to defer for up to one year the cost of filing a regular patent application.

While I'm on the subject, let me also explain that it's generally recommended to file a patent application (either a regular application or a provisional application) before publicly disclosing the invention (such as at a trade show or describing it on the Internet) or offering the invention for sale. The reason for this is that otherwise patent rights will be lost in many foreign countries. In the U.S., an inventor will have a 1-year grace period (from a public disclosure or offer for sale) in which to get a patent application filed. If no U.S. application is filed within this 1-year grace period, U.S. patent rights will be lost.

If anyone has any additional questions about patents, please feel free to ask me.

-Bill

Last edited:

Jpjr

Established Member
dougwg said:
lust seen in a magazine that Strange Engineering has just released a Coil Over Kit for these shocks

I believe the price was around $140 :rockon:

wow.

dougwg

Established Member
BlueOvalBill said:
Doug, I agree that the cost of obtaining (and especially enforcing) a patent for this kit isn't justified based on how many units you plan to sell, how much they cost, and how much profit you're planning to make. A utility patent typically costs about $7,500 for a low-compexity invention. Enforcing a patent is much more expensive and should only be undertaken when sales lost to an infringing competitor will justify the cost.

-Bill

yeah.. thats what I was trying to say :) but you said it better ;-)

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
Does this price include installation?
Also could you make me a lower pulley?
:idea:
JP

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
Doug,
have you gotten anyone to test it on a vert yet? I am still willing to test it on my vert for you if you are looking for a test mule...

jimwood

Established Member
toofast4u said:
The MM kit replaces the low durometer bushings with an aluminum cup and Delrin bushing configuration which provides a solid set-up and the two piece configuration prevents binding which will cause shock tower failure. I hope that Doug’s configuration has taken this into account. Doug has provided a solution which means that you don't have to go with coil-overs to get this configuration.

Where did you get this information, i.e. a two piece configuration prevents binding. The sleeve is always allows movement, what is suppose to bind? I dont get this, but am interested in knowing more. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread