The HARD TRUTH about EVs

OX1

Established Member
Toyota's Leaked 1:6:90 Rule Reveals Why It's Not Wasting Lithium on EVs
02/24/24
Toyota recently revealed it 1:6:90 rule, and this guideline for lithium allocation makes sense.
But to "mine" it we dig holes in salt flats, fill them with water, let the water evaporate, pile up the slightly more concentrated lithium slush, and often do it all over again. It is slow, bad for the local environment, and not an easy task for often underpaid workers.
The CEO of Mercedes warns EVs may double in price. The CEO of Stellantis worries there isn't enough lithium on Earth to swap our massive automotive fleet for EVs–at any price point.
Enter Toyota: A leaked document reveals the automaker told its dealership network that the lithium and other rare materials required to build an EV could also be enough for six plug-in hybrids. Or, it could make 90 hybrids. What's more, swapping 90 internal combustion cars for hybrids is much better for the environment than building one full EV. Much, much better. Toyota: "The overall carbon reduction of those 90 hybrids over their lifetimes is 37 times as much as as single battery EV."
These numbers line up with my previous reporting. The Tesla Model S Long Range uses enough lithium to make more than 11 PHEVs. The Rivian R1T uses up enough lithium for 20 PHEVs. And the Hummer EV hogs enough lithium for 24 PHEVs. To get these numbers, I'm using the battery in the last generation Prius Prime PHEV. It got 25-miles of all electric range out of 1.5 kg of lithium. That's enough range that the average American driver would only fire up the gasoline engine on long road trips.
Toyota’s Leaked 1:6:90 Rule Reveals Why It's Not Wasting Lithium on EVs

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Yea don’t have that problem here, weather is fine so no charging issues and at any given time waiting for your signal light to change you will see on avg about 20 Teslas… no exaggeration.

The Mach E situation is different because of the core buyers ford is going after. Ford needs to rebrand it and I believe the numbers will be better.
Just curious and maybe I missed a response but are you having any rust spot issues with your cyber truck?

kaz109

Established Member
Just curious and maybe I missed a response but are you having any rust spot issues with your cyber truck?
I don’t have one , my avatar is from the preproduction days a couple years ago. I haven’t kept up with it too much honestly but from what I can tell it was only one person on the forums that had that issue.

My order should be coming up any day now but I’m unsure if I will go through with it, I feel like Tesla ****ed ppl over that signed up under the initial promises but that’s a whole different topic.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

Ford halts shipments of electric F-150 truck due to quality issue​

Feb. 24, 2024 4:52 PM ETFord Motor Company (F) StockBy: Joshua Fineman, SA News Editor12 Comments
Side view of a Ford F150 parked on the street during a lightning shot in long exposure

Wirestock
Ford Motor Co. (NYSE:F) halted shipments of the F-150 Lightning electric truck due to undisclosed quality issue.
The automobile manufacturer said it stopped shipping the electric truck on Feb. 9 to "ensure quality," according to media reports including from Bloomberg, which cited a statement from late Friday.
Ford didn't specify when shipping of the Lightning would resume delivery to dealers, though the automaker noted it has started shipping gas-powered versions of the truck.
“We expect to ramp up shipments in the coming weeks as we complete thorough launch quality checks to ensure these new F-150s meet our high standards,” the company said in the statement.
The news comes after Ford (F) a little more than a month ago said it was ramping up the manufacture of its gas-powered Bronco and Ranger line and reducing production of the F-150 Lightning EV. Production at the Rouge EV Center will now be reduced to one shift effective April 1 as the company expects global growth in EV sales in 2024 will be "less than anticipated."
The slow adoption of its EVs has plagued Ford since this summer. when a $6K-$10K price cut failed to jumpstart demand. In December, the company announced it would cut production of the Lightning in half to just 1,600 vehicles per week to address "changing market demand" and that going forward it would match production to customer demand.
Automotive News earlier reported the news about the stopped shipping of the F-150 Lightning.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If demand doesn't ramp up for the Lightning, long term matching production to customer demand should be interesting.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member

Ford halts shipments of electric F-150 truck due to quality issue​

Feb. 24, 2024 4:52 PM ETFord Motor Company (F) StockBy: Joshua Fineman, SA News Editor12 Comments
Side view of a Ford F150 parked on the street during a lightning shot in long exposure

Easy fix, LS swap that bitch!
Wirestock
Ford Motor Co. (NYSE:F) halted shipments of the F-150 Lightning electric truck due to undisclosed quality issue.
The automobile manufacturer said it stopped shipping the electric truck on Feb. 9 to "ensure quality," according to media reports including from Bloomberg, which cited a statement from late Friday.
Ford didn't specify when shipping of the Lightning would resume delivery to dealers, though the automaker noted it has started shipping gas-powered versions of the truck.
“We expect to ramp up shipments in the coming weeks as we complete thorough launch quality checks to ensure these new F-150s meet our high standards,” the company said in the statement.
The news comes after Ford (F) a little more than a month ago said it was ramping up the manufacture of its gas-powered Bronco and Ranger line and reducing production of the F-150 Lightning EV. Production at the Rouge EV Center will now be reduced to one shift effective April 1 as the company expects global growth in EV sales in 2024 will be "less than anticipated."
The slow adoption of its EVs has plagued Ford since this summer. when a $6K-$10K price cut failed to jumpstart demand. In December, the company announced it would cut production of the Lightning in half to just 1,600 vehicles per week to address "changing market demand" and that going forward it would match production to customer demand.
Automotive News earlier reported the news about the stopped shipping of the F-150 Lightning.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Since I've seen so many of these on dealer lots I was curious how many there actually were. There's 372 Mach E's and 220 Lightnings within 50 miles of me and then this many within 100.
Screenshot_20240225_130002_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240225_130846_Chrome.jpg

kaz109

Established Member
The last time I posted it was one specific dealership, now this is doing new Mach E within 100mi of me right now
53346E7D-13B5-442C-A27F-0D2838F1BD3A.png

Last edited:

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member

MG0h3

Established Member
Everyone went balls deep.

They all really need to pivot.

Less expensive. Better range. Probably hybrid with a diesel gen would work best.

EVs don’t need to average an 11 sec quarter.

My money is on Musk to figure it out first. Or he’ll pull the plug and just do spaceships. Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Finally got to drive an EV. Friend had a loaner 2023 BMW i5 M60 that I drove the other night and I loved everything about it except the exterior (IMO, most BMW’s have been hit with the fugly stick). I certainly wouldn’t pay $93k or whatever its sticker was, but I loved every second of it and the acceleration was very addicting.

bird_dog0347

Established Member
Finally got to drive an EV. Friend had a loaner 2023 BMW i5 M60 that I drove the other night and I loved everything about it except the exterior (IMO, most BMW’s have been hit with the fugly stick). I certainly wouldn’t pay $93k or whatever its sticker was, but I loved every second of it and the acceleration was very addicting.
The only time I've driven an EV was a BMW auto-x event where they had us use the new I4. While it's a nice car, trying to drive one full beans around an auto-x course with the VERY intrusive regen braking (I get why they made us keep it on) made for an awful experience. The year before I got to do it in a 340 M Sport with the track pack and I could have put car lengths on the EV around the same course in a car that LET ME DRIVE! Sure the max TQ on demand is neat, but if you can't be smooth because of the electronics, then it doesn't matter how good you are as a driver.

OX1

Established Member
Everyone went balls deep.

They all really need to pivot.

Less expensive. Better range. Probably hybrid with a diesel gen would work best.

EVs don’t need to average an 11 sec quarter.

My money is on Musk to figure it out first. Or he’ll pull the plug and just do spaceships. Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I don't see Musk going to hybrids if that's what you mean.

OX1

Established Member
Problem is. Even 5 years from now any new EV will probably be massively outdated. Why not wait a bit.

Looking at selling my S197 and EVO8, and replace with a newer GT500. My buddy (who is not an EV lover), suggested a Plaid. It would be faster, but what will it be worth in 5 years, with the tech progressing (that and a GT500 is "almost" an investment)

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Problem is. Even 5 years from now any new EV will probably be massively outdated. Why not wait a bit.

Looking at selling my S197 and EVO8, and replace with a newer GT500. My buddy (who is not an EV lover), suggested a Plaid. It would be faster, but what will it be worth in 5 years, with the tech progressing (that and a GT500 is "almost" an investment)

Depending what the EPA does, the value on GT500's 5 years from now could be very impressive. You're already seeing it with halo cars from all manufacturers.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Race to the bottom, Elon gets to experience the brutal side of auto sales in a downward sales environment. In a fire sale, Hyundai is offering a rare 0% finance offer on the 2024 IONIQ 5 electric SUV. Hyundai’s new incentive could mean up to $7,800 in savings compared to a same-priced Tesla model. Tesla decided it had better start advertising and is flooding social media with ads. The dumber ones tote how much better a rear-wheel-drive Tesla is in snow over front wheel drive, LOL. Morons.

andymarkv

Established Member
I am definitely curious about a fuel over electric concept like the Ramcharger vs. straight EV.
But, I'm not convinced that the efficiency improvement is good enough to warrant the effort.
The old Chevy volt used this idea, but I don't believe it was VASTLY more efficient than current ICE cars.(and was a money loser for GM)
It will be interesting to see how it plays out in a heavier vehicle.

Startup company Edison is supposed to start offering "retrofit" kits for trucks, but the power and efficiency will need to be super high to justify the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread