The HARD TRUTH about EVs

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Poor's and middle class need not apply.

According to ValuePenguin analysis, the average cost to insure a Tesla is $3,947 a year.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Ford is recalling nearly 35,000 Mustang Mach-E EVs from the 2021 and 2022 model years to fix a battery problem that can cause the vehicle to suddenly lose power while driving. Only extended-range battery and GT models are included in the recall. Some of these vehicles received a software update as part of a recall last year, but they will still need to go to a Ford dealer for an additional free repair.

Today’s announcement follows 107 reports of vehicles losing power while driving after the software update and an investigation from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The problem has to do with an overheating battery contactor, a kind of switch that determines which vehicle components the battery sends power to. The battery contactor may overheat after the vehicle has been plugged into a DC fast charger and/or what Ford calls “wide-open pedal events” (putting the accelerator to the floor for quick acceleration).

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Ford’s plan to rule the EV market in the U.S., particularly in the pickup sector, has started to unravel. The Wall Street Journal obtained a UAW memo that shows Ford would slow production of its F-150 Lightning, the company’s EV flagship. The memo also said Ford has begun to build more gas-driven F-150s.
Earlier in the year, Ford said it would produce EVs at a rate of 600,000 in 2023. It then pushed that forecast to 2024. “We expect the EV market to remain volatile until the winners and losers shake out,” Ford CEO Jim Farley said in July. It now appears Ford is moving in the direction of a loser.

Ford has gambled its future on EVs as much as any car company in America. Even Bill Ford, Ford’s executive chairman, said the Lightning launch was the most important in his tenure. For reasons perhaps only he knows, Farley has been allowed to keep his job despite his bungles.

Ford has to deal with two monsters today. The first is EV demand, and the other is demand from the UAW. Ford has spent billions as it ramps up its production of EVs. It has not disclosed what a rich UAW contract would do but Fairly said it would cause deep injury to Ford’s finances.

Ironically, the gas-powered F-150 is Ford’s best-selling vehicle by far and has been the best-selling vehicle in the U.S. for over four decades. Its currently is over a third of Ford’s total U.S. unit sales.

Ford may be stuck with the gas-powered F-150 as its best-selling car for years. That would be the greatest proof that Ford is not, and will not be, an EV-centric company. (These are the 13 biggest electric vehicle business failures in American history.)

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
@Klaus

Copper. Copper and bonds.

IMG_9916.jpeg

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member

I sat through a presentation with Wood MacKenzie on copper back in 2018 and they broke down the structural shortage of copper. It totally blew me away. EVs have something like 150 lbs of copper in them vs. 20 lbs of copper in an ICE vehicle. The permitting process for copper mines is ridiculous and there are no new copper mines being permitted. I will see if I can find the slides.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
China is stepping up its efforts to maintain its manufacturing dominance, with the government releasing new rules to restrict exports of graphite, a key material used in electric-vehicle batteries.

Beijing will require special export permits for three grades of graphite starting December 1, the Ministry of Commerce and the General Administration of Customs said. Temporary controls on five less sensitive graphite items used in industries such as steel, metallurgy, and chemicals were dropped.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
China is stepping up its efforts to maintain its manufacturing dominance, with the government releasing new rules to restrict exports of graphite, a key material used in electric-vehicle batteries.

Beijing will require special export permits for three grades of graphite starting December 1, the Ministry of Commerce and the General Administration of Customs said. Temporary controls on five less sensitive graphite items used in industries such as steel, metallurgy, and chemicals were dropped.

I love it. Brilliant. Corner 100% of the market chyna.
Make mfr/buying lady shavers a lot more expensive then no one will be able afford or want one.

Go chyna go!

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
Smart move to make that video. Dude says
"man you're gonna get shot" I'd already thought that. Corporate World doesn't like Joe Shmo upsetting the status quo, now it's out there. And I'm really surprised that no one has thought to scale down the diesel electric model of railroads to the heavy truck sector before.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Smart move to make that video. Dude says
"man you're gonna get shot" I'd already thought that. Corporate World doesn't like Joe Shmo upsetting the status quo, now it's out there. And I'm really surprised that no one has thought to scale down the diesel electric model of railroads to the heavy truck sector before.

Green Insanity. Long haul trucking will be forced to use hydrogen fuel cells.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
No soft tire compounds for you! Sorry, you racers will just have quit!

Molden said an initial estimate of tyre particle emissions prompted the new work. “We came to a bewildering amount of material being released into the environment – 300,000 tonnes of tyre rubber in the UK and US, just from cars and vans every year.”

There are currently no regulations on the wear rate of tyres and little regulation on the chemicals they contain. Emissions Analytics has now determined the chemicals present in 250 different types of tyres, which are usually made from synthetic rubber, derived from crude oil. “There are hundreds and hundreds of chemicals, many of which are carcinogenic,” Molden said. “When you multiply it by the total wear rates, you get to some very staggering figures as to what’s being released.”

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F467e72d3-f520-4466-95f5-2eea7f0c998a_637x228.png

Users who are viewing this thread