The HARD TRUTH about EVs

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Electric motors are pretty awesome. No torque reduction over the million mile life of the motor.

Electrical energy storage (batteries) is decades away from free market viability.

Electrical energy transfer safety and battery tech is pretty dicey to enable really fast MW charging to be equivalent to gasoline refueling time.

I think Porsche's synthgas and potential synthgas blends have real free market potential.
Energy Storage is a dead end technology.

You will never be able to "Store" the same amount of energy as a tank of gasoline/diesel/H2 and refuel it in a way that itns time consuming without destroying the battery.

Its a blackhole.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
God its all such bullshit. EV's are a smarter choice for the average house wife that needs to run around the city all day. If you need to travel long distances then gas cars are for you.

What is so hard to understand about it.

No, you're wrong.

I will never own and drive a coal burning, lady shaver.

Last edited:

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Here's the expanded Tesla EV "Christmas Story" from the UK:

Full story:

^What was it, 4 years ago when aoc and the rest of the commie radical democrats said they were going to make America live "The New Green Deal"?

Well, that's what this is in the UK, and it's full speed into that wall here in America. They are winning.

BTW, I stole the "Lady Shaver" metaphor from Jeremy Clarkson who used it to describe the Rimac EV Super Car that Richard Hammond crashed on an episode of Grand Tour.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Here's the expanded Tesla EV "Christmas Story" from the UK:

Full story:

^What was it, 4 years ago when aoc and the rest of the commie radical democrats said they were going to make America live "The New Green Deal"?

Well, that's what this is in the UK, and it's full speed into that wall here in America. They are winning.

BTW, I stole the "Lady Shaver" metaphor from Jeremy Clarkson who used it to describe the Rimac EV Super Car that Richard Hammond crashed on an episode of Grand Tour.

Most of these owners likely never saw this wait shit show coming, while the rest of us were thinking 'yep, that's the expected situation. Surprised it took this long'.

ArabianOak

Established Member
as the previous owner of half a dozen electric cars AND finally experiencing them in a cold climate I can give my 2 cents

1. range loss in the cold for my mach e was dam near half the battery...this is a huge issue that can really make it difficult to plan any sort of trip outside your hometown.

2. the mach e had minimal heat in the really cold temps...i posted about it here awhile back...but when it was 8 degrees outside the car had heat issues...i was cold in the cabin and wore a beanie for my entire trip...ford said this was normal...

3. charging stations are often not working and I had to always have a back up plan when renting my i3 or mach e on turo. the gas station closest to ohare that had a charging station was almost never working...caused big issues for me the first time it happened.

4. the tech is still not there...porsche bought back over half of the taycan turbo s cars when they were dam near new for having battery issues.

I love many things about them as well but why can't we just transition slowly AND give people the choice for a really long time. ICE cars are not even close to obsolete yet and the EV market has many things to figure out before going all in.

just another piece to the failed nation puzzle that america is in right now...sad but true.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
During the recent blizzard I saw a tesla broken down on the side of the road.

In fairness, there plenty of non tesla broken down on the side of the road.

But most of the non teslas that I saw were generally pieces of shit. The kind of cars that you are rolling the dice of a breakdown especially in the winter.

The tesla buyer is buying an 85k luxury car that just happens to be electric. Sacrificing reliability or functionality is not part of the deal.

My sense is the bloom is really coming off the rose as it relates to EVs. This will really accelerate if we are entering a recession.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
as the previous owner of half a dozen electric cars AND finally experiencing them in a cold climate I can give my 2 cents

1. range loss in the cold for my mach e was dam near half the battery...this is a huge issue that can really make it difficult to plan any sort of trip outside your hometown.

2. the mach e had minimal heat in the really cold temps...i posted about it here awhile back...but when it was 8 degrees outside the car had heat issues...i was cold in the cabin and wore a beanie for my entire trip...ford said this was normal...

4. the tech is still not there...porsche bought back over half of the taycan turbo s cars when they were dam near new for having battery issues.
After almost 2 years with my Tesla I can relate to some of these points.

1) Range loss is an issue in the cold - no doubt. I took a 100 mile round trip on Christmas day. The high temp that day was ~25. When all was said and done the car used roughly 48% of the charge. On a perfect day (no A/C no Heat), I can make that same trip using about ~32%.

2) Heat. I have not had this problem as of yet. I've driven the car with temps in the Teens and it has kept me warm to the point that I have to turn the heat down. Maybe because I don't drive very long distances - I don't know?

3) Charging stations. Never used one. For the most part I stay local with this car so I charge at home exclusively.

4) I agree - the tech is not there yet for everyone. For my uses - local/light duty transportation, it works well.

If I traveled long distances, towed, lived in a colder climate - I would not own an EV. Not yet anyway.

Tezz500

Established Member

3. charging stations are often not working and I had to always have a back up plan when renting my i3 or mach e on turo. the gas station closest to ohare that had a charging station was almost never working...caused big issues for me the first time it happened.

I love many things about them as well but why can't we just transition slowly AND give people the choice for a really long time. ICE cars are not even close to obsolete yet and the EV market has many things to figure out before going all in.

just another piece to the failed nation puzzle that america is in right now...sad but true.

The marketing is great for these EVs. BUT, If you do the math it’s a no brainer.

There is nothing redeemable about them.
Price: Too high.
Resale: Too low.
Range: Laughable.
Refueling: Laughable.
Longevity: Laughable.
Cradle to grave emissions: Disgusting.
Kid Slave Labor required to Mine materials: yea.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member

The green folks will say that we (the human race) cannot transition slowly due to climate change. We NEED to get the movement going forward quickly to save the planet. Think about this:

11.9% of the world's carbon emissions come from "road transportation" (cars and trucks). Ok...now, the US isn't the only country in the world to use personal vehicles, so let's say that the US is guilty of producing 50% of emissions from personal vehicles (which is way too high, but let's roll with it). That means that personal vehicle use in the US accounts for about 6% of all carbon emissions globally (and that is a huge stretch). Realistically, we are talking about US personal vehicles accounting for less that 5% of global carbon emissions. So, explain to me why the push to EV is so aggressive? Eliminating ICE vehicles in the US will do about as much to reduce global carbon emissions as everyone promising not to fart.

Link for reference

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
After almost 2 years with my Tesla I can relate to some of these points.

1) Range loss is an issue in the cold - no doubt. I took a 100 mile round trip on Christmas day. The high temp that day was ~25. When all was said and done the car used roughly 48% of the charge. On a perfect day (no A/C no Heat), I can make that same trip using about ~32%.

2) Heat. I have not had this problem as of yet. I've driven the car with temps in the Teens and it has kept me warm to the point that I have to turn the heat down. Maybe because I don't drive very long distances - I don't know?

3) Charging stations. Never used one. For the most part I stay local with this car so I charge at home exclusively.

4) I agree - the tech is not there yet for everyone. For my uses - local/light duty transportation, it works well.

If I traveled long distances, towed, lived in a colder climate - I would not own an EV. Not yet anyway.

Imagine dropping 80k on an E class that got +/- 15 mpg and the heat doesnt work depending on the weather. Because it takes so long to refuel you must stockpile fuel at home in order to drive it.

Tezz500

Established Member
Imagine dropping 80k on an E class that got +/- 15 mpg and the heat doesnt work depending on the weather. Because it takes so long to refuel you must stockpile fuel at home in order to drive it.

But saving the planet and stuff.

Not really though.

Just trying to get you to buy into the control factor.

Now eat these bugs.

Tezz500

Established Member
Its not about transitioning to EV’s. Its about transitioning from your private ICE vehicle to rideshare/public trans. This is painfully obvious.

Enjoy peasants.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
100%

You WILL live in a Cubby hole.
You WILL eat the bugs.
You WILL Ride Share.
Youll own nothing and youll be happy.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
The green folks will say that we (the human race) cannot transition slowly due to climate change. We NEED to get the movement going forward quickly to save the planet. Think about this:

11.9% of the world's carbon emissions come from "road transportation" (cars and trucks). Ok...now, the US isn't the only country in the world to use personal vehicles, so let's say that the US is guilty of producing 50% of emissions from personal vehicles (which is way too high, but let's roll with it). That means that personal vehicle use in the US accounts for about 6% of all carbon emissions globally (and that is a huge stretch). Realistically, we are talking about US personal vehicles accounting for less that 5% of global carbon emissions. So, explain to me why the push to EV is so aggressive? Eliminating ICE vehicles in the US will do about as much to reduce global carbon emissions as everyone promising not to fart.

Link for reference
Reducing emissions in this country is a joke anyway.

The vehicle manufacturers have been making vehicles more efficient for years - Both cars and trucks. Problem is, the majority have abandoned cars for larger, heavier trucks/suv's.

Today the majority is still burning the same amount of fuel(more emissions) driving these large vehicles, if not more, than years ago when most of us drove cars.

I purchased my Tesla because I wanted to try something different. I have no illusions about making anything better by driving it. At the same time I don't care that the next guy is DD his empty F250. Enjoy it.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

I always say

Pretend, in 2022, civilization currently existed with ONLY electric vehicles and coal/gasoline/diesel power was just founded in the last few years. Roles reversed basically.

We would IMMEDIATELY throw EV's in the trash and FULLY transition to ICE because of how awesome/efficient/cheap the tech is vs EV.

The whole EV thing has it's place for sure (warm climate, short distance commutes) -- and being my work will allow users to charge for free, ill eventually own one.

But to force the shit down our throats is just wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread