THE FUTURE COLLECTIBILITY AND VALUE OF OUR 2013/2014 SHELBY GT500s...

ObieFox

Established Member
I'm curious though...not trying to criticize you. Just kind of want to get some insight in how you see things.

The 13/14 GT500 is a new watermark for Ford. A beast of a car in stock trim.

Now 3yrs of ownership is pretty substantial to me at least.

Why only 7k on it more or less? Why don't you drive it more? If its ok to ask, why buy a car like that if you seem rather reluctant, for whatever reason, to put miles on it?

I really would like to know. And I apologize in advance if my questions are found to be rather intrusive.

I do want to know though for different reasons or beliefs I hold about who buys these type of cars.

Thanks buddy

No intrusion or offense at all. I picked my '13 up in the spring of '12. I daily drive it every decent day I get during the Ohio summer. My office is about 12 miles from my house. Another thing that keeps the miles down on it is that it is one of 7 cars in my household. Two Ford Trucks ('11 F350 diesel, '04 FX4 150), two Jeep Rubicons ('06 and '14), two Mustangs ('13GT500, '66 Terlingua Resto Mod), and last but not least my wives '13 Evoque.

I'm 47 yrs old and I've driven every high performance Ford I could get my hands on since my Dad brought home a 1984 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe just as I was getting my license.

Soooo how did I fit your profile? :)

weider1717

Established Member
I don't see any being a huge collector car unless maybe for my grand kids in that time frame one day but I will say I've never been a newer = better kinda guy.

I like them all and yes technically every year got better but to me the 07-09 is a great looking car I thought it then and still thing the 2010 model and up got tweaked too much. I am ok with the front and sides but the rear end always has me thinking WTH were they thinking?

not big on aluminum blocks either, 2010 after 07-09 would be my pick

so who knows

Last edited:

1FASFKR

Established Member
I find it amazing you guys are commenting on a thread that is two ****ing years old ..... and for the record .. if you are going to lump the 03-04 together then you have to lump ALL of the gt500s together. Everyone thought the 95 cobra being the last of the 5.0L pushrods would hold their value and increase over time. didn't happen. a LOT of people thought the 03-04 would be collectors items didn't happen. the ONLY one that MIGHT be in the future is the 04 mystichrome. the rest, while holding their value fairly well, are still on the decline. the GT500s are a dime a dozen, and the 13/14 are just more of the same. Great car that should certainly hold it's value much the same way the Terminators have but in the end they are not that special. they will never hold the sway that a well kept terminator will.

but like scalecraft says ... they are not an investment, the Terminators are not an investment, neither of them ever will be. Shelby's involvement is minimal in ALL the GT 500s and as such having his name on them is really pretty meaningless. esp. when those that got them autographed had to pay to have that done. in the end Shelby, despite all his historic contributions to automobiles and their history, was a joke.

Pretty obvious you're all bitched up with envy.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Pretty obvious you're all bitched up with envy.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dream on dude .. whatever helps you sleep at night

Beercules

Established Member
I find it amazing you guys are commenting on a thread that is two ****ing years old ..... and for the record .. if you are going to lump the 03-04 together then you have to lump ALL of the gt500s together. Everyone thought the 95 cobra being the last of the 5.0L pushrods would hold their value and increase over time. didn't happen. a LOT of people thought the 03-04 would be collectors items didn't happen. the ONLY one that MIGHT be in the future is the 04 mystichrome. the rest, while holding their value fairly well, are still on the decline. the GT500s are a dime a dozen, and the 13/14 are just more of the same. Great car that should certainly hold it's value much the same way the Terminators have but in the end they are not that special. they will never hold the sway that a well kept terminator will.

but like scalecraft says ... they are not an investment, the Terminators are not an investment, neither of them ever will be. Shelby's involvement is minimal in ALL the GT 500s and as such having his name on them is really pretty meaningless. esp. when those that got them autographed had to pay to have that done. in the end Shelby, despite all his historic contributions to automobiles and their history, was a joke.

OK troll... first, if you want an investment, cars are about the riskiest you can get.

Second, I always figured the Terminators were still in the disposable era.

Third, I was about to drop a kaaze 589 ci boss 429 in my 2010 Mustang until I noticed the specs on the new 2013/14 gt500s and noticed HOW MUCH had changed from the 2008-2012s. Then i tracked one down and traded for it. So no, they are not more of the same.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
OK troll... first, if you want an investment, cars are about the riskiest you can get.

Second, I always figured the Terminators were still in the disposable era.

Third, I was about to drop a kaaze 589 ci boss 429 in my 2010 Mustang until I noticed the specs on the new 2013/14 gt500s and noticed HOW MUCH had changed from the 2008-2012s. Then i tracked one down and traded for it. So no, they are not more of the same.

Since hes been a member since 2002 with over 16k posts I doubt he would be considered a troll. Secondly, that post he made was over a year old and he doesn't log in much anymore I would be willing to bet he doesn't give a shit what you think.

Clemson

Established Member
Since hes been a member since 2002 with over 16k posts I doubt he would be considered a troll. Secondly, that post he made was over a year old and he doesn't log in much anymore I would be willing to bet he doesn't give a shit what you think.

Whether or not he cares is irrelevant. He is a butt hurt clown.

SlowSVT

Established Member
In 20 to 30 years the only real "collectors" cars will be very low mileage cars that spent their time covered in a garage away from the elements. I would imagine a 69 Boss 429 will be of more value to a collector then a 2014 GT500 despite the fact the 500 would run rings around the 69. Would a 0 mile Terminator fetch the same as a 0 mile GT500? Who knows? Only time will tell but something tells me they will be very close. One thing I do know is the more technology they incorporate into the car will make for big problems should it need replacement or something doesn't work. Having a 69 with major electrical problems is one thing. Having a 2017 GT500 with major electrical problems is a nightmare! The sophistication is getting to the point the aftermarket won't be able to keep-up with the technologies try finding a OE magnaride shocks and struts for a 2017 GT350 in 2045. That is not a car some kid with dirt under his fingernails will be eager to restore 30 years from now it will be like trying to restore the Millennial Falcon. Collectors cars are nothing but a centerpiece for the garage you can trailer to car shows for display and impress your friends with.

Enjoy your car and forget about what it will be worth 30 years from now.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
In 20 to 30 years the only real "collectors" cars will be very low mileage cars that spent their time covered in a garage away from the elements. I would imagine a 69 Boss 429 will be of more value to a collector then a 2014 GT500 despite the fact the 500 would run rings around the 69. Would a 0 mile Terminator fetch the same as a 0 mile GT500? Who knows? Only time will tell but something tells me they will be very close. One thing I do know is the more technology they incorporate into the car will make for big problems should it need replacement or something doesn't work. Having a 69 with major electrical problems is one thing. Having a 2017 GT500 with major electrical problems is a nightmare! The sophistication is getting to the point the aftermarket won't be able to keep-up with the technologies try finding a OE magnaride shocks and struts for a 2017 GT350 in 2045. That is not a car some kid with dirt under his fingernails will be eager to restore 30 years from now it will be like trying to restore the Millennial Falcon. Collectors cars are nothing but a centerpiece for the garage you can trailer to car shows for display and impress your friends with.

Enjoy your car and forget about what it will be worth 30 years from now.

+1 just enjoy the car. you paid a lot of money for it just to sit and collect dust hoping its worth a bunch of money one day

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
Here is the problem with appreciation of our cars...by the time they will appreciate...we will be too old to reap the benefits. Just drive it, race it, show it, mod it...do whatever you want to do with the car that makes you happy. I didn't pay a fortune for my car watch it sit in an air conditioned garage. Ford advertised this car as a performance car and I plan to use it as intended.

Josie Wales

Go Fast Club
Established Member
Here is the problem with appreciation of our cars...by the time they will appreciate...we will be too old to reap the benefits. Just drive it, race it, show it, mod it...do whatever you want to do with the car that makes you happy. I didn't pay a fortune for my car watch it sit in an air conditioned garage. Ford advertised this car as a performance car and I plan to use it as intended.

+1 Great post

jbs$

Established Member
Any appreciation is far enough in to the future that the caring cost of storage, taxes, inflation and maintenance will cost far more than you will ever see as an increase in value.

i add, the only person that will ever appreciate your garage queen is its next owner - drive the damn thing and enjoy it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread