The FIGHT of the CENTURY!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Originally posted by Blue03Cobra
Then you kick his ass even worse...:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

:beer:

When we started a grappling academy, here in S.A., back in the early '90s, no-one knew anything about jiu-jitsu. What we did know is that "Royce" (the R sounds like an H in Portugese) was kicking everyone's ass in UFC. I was the smallest guy in the group (5'9"~140 lbs). Once we got a real professor (Pedro Alberto of Rio de Janeiro [from Roberto Traven's Strike Jiu-Jitsu Team, originating with Jacare`]) in '94 and started training authentic BJJ, all the new members trained with me first. It was an eye-opening experience for a 200+ lbs. person (obviously with no grappling knowledge), and some extremely powerful weightlifters, to be turned into a pretzel by a "small dude". Once the technique is taught and practiced, size and power again become an advantage for the big guys, even on the mat. BJJ is like chess, you must make a move thinking three or more in advance, always to keep your opponent off balance.

All that assumes that the 265# weight lifting dude doesnt connect with one good face shot before going to the mat. Then there is no need for the grappling.

I agree that grappling is where most fights end up. Rarely do two opponents stand toe to toe and slug it out.

Yah, I grapple:-D

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraCallie
<--- stupid

What's grappling? I've heard of it before.. just never knew exactly whats going on...

Don't call yourself that. It's hand to hand combat that, for the most part, takes place on the ground. It's kind of like collegiate wrestling (same as high school wrestling), but with the addition of submission holds, ie. choking and limb breaking. I've never actually participated, I like my limbs.;-)

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraCallie
<--- stupid

What's grappling? I've heard of it before.. just never knew exactly whats going on...
Sonic has it right. Per the dictionary...

Grappling: grasping, gripping, holding or clutching. "To contend in close fighting" :-D

It's the best one-on-one self defense out there, IMHO. You can subdue someone without hurting them (if you like).

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
It's a good thing you don't know where I live. I might have a group of Vertically-Challenged-Americans bangin down my door, trying to kick my ass.

Stewart

Worldwide panhandler
Established Member
Originally posted by SonicVenum
It's a good thing you don't know where I live. I might have a group of Vertically-Challenged-Americans bangin down my door, trying to kick my ass.

:lol: :lol:

PM: Vertically challenged means "short":D

Just in case ya didnt know.:p

Stu

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Funny thing is that most Hangook-Meegooks I know are big mofos...

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Hey Dan,

Really?
Well cant personally say(since im only 5'6") but imagined he would be :shrug:
Just a little. I was 5' 10" and 215 11 years ago. I was very comfortable at that weight. Key word was.:-D

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Just a little. I was 5' 10" and 215 11 years ago. I was very comfortable at that weight. Key word was.:-D

:lol:

Wait a sec. Im only 125lbs. Before i turned 30yrs, i weighted in at 115lbs since i was 15yrs old.

My best friend is 5'8" & he weights in at 165lbs & he has a gut. One time he freaking ripped his pants cause it wouldnt fit him any more. He just sat down on his sit & heard it rip. :eek: but then he was 180lbs.

That is big guy...& damn u were too Dano. :eek:

03DOHC

Established Member
I would say good sized instead of big. I was 5' 9" and about 185 when I got out of high school. I used to surf all the time and lift at school. Surfing kept the weight off. I put on 30lbs lifting weights in the service and grew one inch by the time I got out 11 years ago.

Too much beer and too much time behind the keyboard now.:-D

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Yupper on that note....im sure i'll be big sooner or later :D

Big o.k. :D
Well its alot easier for the Big guys to look all muscled out vs us little guys....stopped trying many many years ago.

Surfing, thats cool but i cant stand not being able to see inside that water :eek:

Some things in that water :eek: I'll pass :D

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Yupper on that note....im sure i'll be big sooner or later :D

Big o.k. :D
Well its alot easier for the Big guys to look all muscled out vs us little guys....stopped trying many many years ago.

Surfing, thats cool but i cant stand not being able to see inside that water :eek:

Some things in that water :eek: I'll pass :D
I grew up in Hawaii so seeing in the water wasn't too much of a problem.:-D

Users who are viewing this thread