The Ecoboost Disappointment

CobRoush-00

Established Member
You would think someone is forcing the OP to buy a T4 Mustang. Man, no offense. You like V8 Mustangs, buy a V8. Others long for a T4 and can't wait to be driving one. I love the fact there are several options on the car. I have owned several Mustangs in the past both V6 and V8 and the latter is my favorite because I love the feel and the sound of it. However, I wouldn't dare bashing the T4 because I haven't experienced it yet. It may not for me but it has its place in the lineup. We can't compare the 4 cylinders of the 70s and the new T4. Technology is million years ahead of that time. And I have a feeling a lot of people will eat their words when the Ecoboost car comes out.

Softballer77

Established Member
You could be right. It could be the greatest 4 cylinder of all time. It's just not for me, and every close person to me who owns a Mustang has a V8. Strangely...but it's true. Yes, I see V6 New Edges all over the place, I honestly don't know anyone who I work with, family, etc who owns anything but the V8. It's kinda weird hearing myself say that now that I think about it. lol.

I know people will buy them. My whole point was that I am just not happy that there will be Mustangs now that will be sounding like 4 cylinder Hondas when someone hops them up and I'm not used to hearing that, because they ARE 4 cylinders. Everyone seems to be overanalyzing every little tiny point to defend this engine. I could care less who buys one. It's just not for me. I much rather hear an awesome sounding V8 than a (to me) raspy 4 cylinder. It probably wont sound like that right off the lot, but you know as well as I do that one of the first things someone will do that wants to mod it is change out the exhaust. Most turbo 4 cylinders to me are tin canny, raspy, weed eater sounding. Everyone can argue that if they want...but it won't change my opinion. I just chose to write about it.

And no, no one is forcing me to buy one. (lol). But this is what forums are for...personally, I think it's funny today to see how wrapped up everyone got in defending a 4 cylinder Mustang. Especially on a website dedicated to 95% V8 Mustang contributors. I just said I don't look forward to hearing it when someone puts a loud exhaust on it.

Softballer77

Established Member
To me that sounds terrible. You must be the one joking. But that video is exactly what I was talking about. I prefer a V8 exhaust sound over that any day. And what was up with all the backfiring sounds after reving it up???

04svtsnke

Established Member
All 3 of the car makers you posted all buy several millions of dollars in fines every year for fuel milage.

Fiat Chrysler offsets the Viper with cars like the Fiat 500 and Fiat 500e.

GM can make cars like the ZL1, Z/28, ZR1 with cars like the Volt, Cruze Ecodiesel and other fuel effeicnt cars but there will be a 4 cylinder 6th Camaro and there strong rumors to a hybrid C8 starting already.

To me that sounds terrible. You must be the one joking. But that video is exactly what I was talking about. I prefer a V8 exhaust sound over that any day. And what was up with all the backfiring sounds after reving it up???

That's a far cry from the tin can Hondas you keep mentioning. That thing sounds like sex for such a small displacement turbo motor. An actual real full exhaust on a turbo 4 will sound super sexy for a 4 cylinder. I don't even know how you can equate that sound to a honda.

04svtsnke

Established Member
Steeltoe, this is for you. Evidently I'm not the only one who makes fun of 4cylinder exhausts. And to see the V8 example being a Mustang...well that's just icing on my cake there bud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgpAOeO_pL8

You guys must be brothers. For the last time, the ecoboost in the mustang will be a 2.3 TURBO 4 cylinder. It will not be a high compression 1.6 liter SOHC NA motor like in your video with stock exhaust except for the muffler. You can't be serious?

Softballer77

Established Member
I am aware of what will be in there motor wise. I am aware that it is not a Honda motor. I also am aware that people put different exhausts on different cars that sound different all of the time. And most of the time, its a louder exhaust. To me, a louder exhaust does not sound good on a 4 cylinder of anything.

The 4 cylinder will be an option, and people who want to mod the car will be changing exhausts I can guarantee you that. Are you telling me you already know what that car will sound like with an aftermarket exhaust? If so, send me the vid of a 2015 ecoboost mustang with aftermarket exhaust. I'm just saying it's going to be louder, it's NOT going to sound like a V8, and in my opinion, it isn't my bag baby.

Now does the other video up there sound better than the others? I'd say for a 4cylinder, it does in my opinion. But also I don't think it sounds better than a V8. Just my two cents. Why is it so hard for someone to just state an opinion without someone saying "oh that's b.s.". It's an opinion. Geez...unwind those panties already.

And after all that has been said, I still won't like hearing it. That hasn't changed in over 80 posts on this thread. lol

Clemson

Established Member
Wow, this thread is full of a bunch of closet import lovers. Why are you even on an SVT website? You bash Shelby while singing the praises of fuel efficient turbo 4-bangers? You guys are gayer than a San Francisco parade!

steeltoe

Established Member
I'm sorry you have such a closed mind that you can see the beauty in that car. All turbo engines make that "backfire" sound
Steeltoe, this is for you. Evidently I'm not the only one who makes fun of 4cylinder exhausts. And to see the V8 example being a Mustang...well that's just icing on my cake there bud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgpAOeO_pL8
I know what a GT500 sounds like I used to own.
I am aware of what will be in there motor wise. I am aware that it is not a Honda motor. I also am aware that people put different exhausts on different cars that sound different all of the time. And most of the time, its a louder exhaust. To me, a louder exhaust does not sound good on a 4 cylinder of anything.

The 4 cylinder will be an option, and people who want to mod the car will be changing exhausts I can guarantee you that. Are you telling me you already know what that car will sound like with an aftermarket exhaust? If so, send me the vid of a 2015 ecoboost mustang with aftermarket exhaust. I'm just saying it's going to be louder, it's NOT going to sound like a V8, and in my opinion, it isn't my bag baby.

Now does the other video up there sound better than the others? I'd say for a 4cylinder, it does in my opinion. But also I don't think it sounds better than a V8. Just my two cents. Why is it so hard for someone to just state an opinion without someone saying "oh that's b.s.". It's an opinion. Geez...unwind those panties already.

And after all that has been said, I still won't like hearing it. That hasn't changed in over 80 posts on this thread. lol
That Fiat I posted was 100% stock as it comes from the Abarth plant. Its not level for sale in the US.
I also suffer from SPS and I have a bit of homophobia.
I'm sorry to hear that.

[video=youtube_share;oROsOtqsKuI]http://youtu.be/oROsOtqsKuI[/video]
Another great sounding turbo 4 cylinder and its a hybrid.

Clemson

Established Member
Dude, honestly - you lost all credibility when you brought a freaking POS Fiat 500 into your argument.

Softballer77

Established Member
That was what I was thinking the whole time. To play up the 4cylinder Mustang with a Fiat??? I honestly felt less masculine carrying on with everyone else on here this past 24 hours. (which probably explains why I had to run back to the other forums to cruise the GT500 and GT threads in between just to keep a smidge of alpha male honor)

Clemson

Established Member
Displacement envy......its a serious disease. We should probably feel sorry for these "guys".......alas, I do not. LOL

Voltwings

Established Member
You guys are so dense its not even funny. Shame on anyone who has ever bought anything other than a V8 mustang, i'll tell my girlfriend we have to break up now because she drives a v6 and you do not approve. And God forbid, its an automatic V6 at that!

Also, what an incredibly stupid thing to say, "import lovers and shelby haters?" The people are speaking the truth, a TRUE car enthusiast can and does respect all types of cars and their performance, and a quick google search can confirm Carroll Shelby's involvment in the Gt500. I hate Honda just as much as the rest of you, but theres 7 second Hondas out there, you dont have to be a secret "import lover" to respect the capability. Also, i mean no disrespect to Carroll Shelby, he was a great man, but their points remain valid.

mavisky

Established Member
I love my Shelby, but I grew up around a mix of big turbo 4 cylinders and foxbodies. Forced induction and V8's have their own points.

I personally won't be buying a ecoboost 4 cylinder, but I know there are a large amount of people who will. All those people buying those 4 cylinders and the even slower v6's will be the ones funding the SVT team to build further performance models. This isn't the first time there's been a 4 cylinder in a pony car, and it's going to be a very potent version of one (a far cry from the 100ish hp foxbodies). If it wasn't for the cast in exhaust manifold these motors would be very capable.

Perhaps OP and Clemson suffer from some sort of little man syndrome where the mere existence of a 4 cylinder mustang makes them feel like less of a man for owning one.

04svtsnke

Established Member
No one is arguing either of you two that the v8 is either better sounding or more efficient than the ecoboost( similar exhaust and mods of course). The OP stated he could never see why ford would put a 4 cylinder in a mustang again and goes as far as to compare today's tech with tech from the '70's. I'm personally waiting for the v8 halo car to purchase in a few years. All we are trying to say is:

-this isn't the 70's
-Ford has to do this to meet strict standards to bring us the high hp v8 cars
-not all 4 cylinders are made by honda, let alone turbo ones( in the USA at least)
-there's a difference between a full 3 inch cat less exhaust turbo 4 and a stock B16 honda motor with stock exhaust and a can on the tip.

Softballer77

Established Member
I love my Shelby, but I grew up around a mix of big turbo 4 cylinders and foxbodies. Forced induction and V8's have their own points.

I personally won't be buying a ecoboost 4 cylinder, but I know there are a large amount of people who will. All those people buying those 4 cylinders and the even slower v6's will be the ones funding the SVT team to build further performance models. This isn't the first time there's been a 4 cylinder in a pony car, and it's going to be a very potent version of one (a far cry from the 100ish hp foxbodies). If it wasn't for the cast in exhaust manifold these motors would be very capable.

Perhaps OP and Clemson suffer from some sort of little man syndrome where the mere existence of a 4 cylinder mustang makes them feel like less of a man for owning one.

Little man syndrome...hmm, my wife doesn't want a 4 banger either. Maybe she has little woman syndrome. ;)

Voltwings
You guys are so dense its not even funny. Shame on anyone who has ever bought anything other than a V8 mustang, i'll tell my girlfriend we have to break up now because she drives a v6 and you do not approve. And God forbid, its an automatic V6 at that!

I think if my woman did, we wouldn't be together! Ha. But like I said, she wouldn't own one anyways, which is at least 1% reason why I married her. lol​

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
It sounds like the OP thought he was going to come in here and rally everyone together to complain about a 4cyl Mustang but now he's upset because people actually brought up valid points in favor of it. You're on the wrong forum OP if you think people are going to jump in on your V8 circle jerk. I love Ford's V8 engines just as much as anyone, and it's all I want right now, but I'm all for alternate engine platforms.

03Steve

Established Member
[video=youtube;QyncDceRkmo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyncDceRkmo[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread