The Ecoboost Disappointment

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
wow...

I am gonna be the first one to say that I full suspect the ecoboost mustang to be able to hit 400hp on a tune.

Direct injection, Turbo and fully forged rotating assembly from ford. DOHC variable cam timing.

This bitch will fly mark my words when the tuners unlock them.

Yeah, it's definitely going to hurt some import tuner feelings once it's unlocked. I don't think too many modified V8 guys are going to be too worried or have reason to.

Jordang

Established Member
Yeah, it's definitely going to hurt some import tuner feelings once it's unlocked. I don't think too many modified V8 guys are going to be too worried or have reason to.

says you coyote boy

my 2v needs boost to take one of these things on lol.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
says you coyote boy

Double check the sig. Trinity here. Also, I said "I don't think too many modified V8 guys are going to be too worried or have reason to." Boost classifies as modified.

Angry50

Established Member
I also anticipate the ecoboost being better than everyone is thinking. being the lightest car in the line up and having HP potential to boot. I can see people putting 2k turbo upgrade on them and surprising a lot of people. I just hope they sound decent.

Lifted07Duramax

Established Member
FYI the 2.0 turbo in the bmw can put down 330rwhp with exhaust intake and tune.

So I'm sure this 2.3 can see 360rwhp with ease

I'd bet 400rwhp is doable without bugger turbos

Voltwings

Established Member
400 is asking a lot of CFM from a factory turbo, i think 360 is doable, but 400 is a stretch. Keep in mind like i said earlier, Most factory turbos have very small hotsides to maximize spool / minimize lag. That makes it very difficult for them to maintain high amounts of top end horsepower, BUT makes them wicked torque monsters from a roll. Keep in mind also, once you over spin a little turbo, it gets hot FAST, and your returns per lb of boost make it very difficult to make more power, especially on pump gas.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
400 is asking a lot of CFM from a factory turbo, i think 360 is doable, but 400 is a stretch. Keep in mind like i said earlier, Most factory turbos have very small hotsides to maximize spool / minimize lag. That makes it very difficult for them to maintain high amounts of top end horsepower, BUT makes them wicked torque monsters from a roll. Keep in mind also, once you over spin a little turbo, it gets hot FAST, and your returns per lb of boost make it very difficult to make more power, especially on pump gas.

x2. Looking at pictures of that motor/turbo I doubt it's big enough to efficiently make anywhere near 400hp. And with a bigger turbo it probably be laggy as all hell. Nothing is more annoying to drive on the street then a turbo car with no bottom end. I'd think something close to 350hp and a nice power curve is a more realistic goal.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
Ehh, "lag" is a big grey area. I had two turbos on my Ms3, A gt3071 (47 lbs/min) and a GTx3576 (like 65 lb/min). You can adjust the intake cam (more dynamic compression = better spool), ignition retard (retarding ignition moves the flame front closer to the exhaust valve opening = more exhuat energy) and have a big hp car that behaves pretty well, which my 3071 did. That turbo made 460 whp and about 430 wtq, and drove just like stock around town. My 3576 though i hated the second it went on the car. That turbo had no balls, had no pep, and completely ruined the car, it was basically only fun when my foot was to the ground so i agree 100% about there being a happy median... That being said, that 3576 made 500 whp without breaking a sweat though lol that was pretty damn wicked.

I realize i side tracked myself a bit, point being on a log style manifold, (better spool for the sake of top end) which is basically what the ecoboost has with the integrated cylinder head, and the sophisticated cams, i'd be willing to bet most mid sized turbos will behave fairly well if tuned right. Its all still speculation at this point though, Ford basically has the market on lockdown. Name another small, light, "cheap" RWD coupe... Genesis 2.0t? BR-z? Maybe a slightly used BMW to be in the same price range, but thats really it, so assuming this car doesnt outright suck, i imagine it will be a hot contender in an otherwise dull market right now.

Voltwings

Established Member
Depends on how well it can flow, but it will never match the performance of a tubular runner. The Ecoboost may end up making good power, but that will always be a handicap, and make it difficult for it to be a heavyweight continder. With enough boost and large enough hotside, anything can be done, but its not going to be easy. I think this platforms biggest hurdle will be fuel though, and well before the exhaust manifold becomes an issue.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Ehh, "lag" is a big grey area. I had two turbos on my Ms3, A gt3071 (47 lbs/min) and a GTx3576 (like 65 lb/min). You can adjust the intake cam (more dynamic compression = better spool), ignition retard (retarding ignition moves the flame front closer to the exhaust valve opening = more exhuat energy) and have a big hp car that behaves pretty well, which my 3071 did. That turbo made 460 whp and about 430 wtq, and drove just like stock around town.

Well that would be the Holy Grail in my book. I downsized to a BW EFR6258 (44 lbs/min) because everything else drove me nuts around town. Granted 8:1 compression probably didn't help much and cam timing adjustments on a single OHC motor aren't quite as useful.

Back to the topic, I'm still not sure I like the integrated exhaust manifold. But I'm sure people much smarter then me had a good reason. Is Extrude Hone still in business, may be a good option.

Voltwings

Established Member
I didnt even think about compression ratio until you just mentioned it. The mazda was a 9.5:1, and it looks like the Ecboost is 10.5:1. That, along with DI and some healthy cam adjustments ... we may be looking at a badass little motor after all. Obviously it will be a monster on E85, its almost a must for a small turbo 4, but i really want to see how well this thing handles pump gas.

MR.SVT

Established Member
For those of you dissing the SVO, learn your history before running off at the mouth. The SVO failed for one reason...... It was ahead of it's time.

Yes it was. I realized that when I purchased my first brand new 1985 Mustang GT when I was 18, I saw a beautiful SVO in the show room but it was about $3,500.00 more expensive than the GT I purchased.
Years later a friend of mine restored an SVO and I got to drive it. I was very impressed. I would not hesitate buying a new Ecoboost 4cyl GT at around 30k loaded. If I can get Steeda to squeeze out an extra 80HP with a tune and whatever bolt on's they can imagine. A 400HP reliable 4cyl would be incredible.

Voltwings

Established Member
I'm sure a few people have already seen this article from checking out the GT, but get a load of that hotside on the turbo. Crazy looking twin scroll design if i've ever seen one. Looks like a pretty broad flow path though (proportions are still kind of hard to tell...), power may not be as choked up by the manifold/head as we were at first fearing.

http://www.svtperformance.com/?p=3125#more-3125

OOH, i just had a frikkin epiphany. The cylinder head basically just feeds the turbo with this design... Cylidners 2-3 ram right into the upper section of the twin scroll, and cylidners 1-4 feed the lower section... i actually really like this design now and believe it to be quite clever. I wouldnt be surprised if the two sections are independant of eachother as well. I suddenly dont see this really being an issue at all.

Yeah, just found this article.

http://www.car-engineer.com/2-3l-ecoboost-engine-new-ford-mustang/

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
They both do, i just did a quick google search and found 10.5. I've seen both now, but i'm thinking 9.5:1 is the actual number.

coyotefiveoh

Established Member
OP is a disgrace to the mustang community......
stop being a displacement/cylinder racist. haha

Dont get me wrong, i love me some V8 stang... but WTF is wrong with a turbo 4 stang? I think its awesome & i loved the SVO stangs.

C5Reeper

Established Member
COMPLETELY AGREE! There will be a large tuner (ricer) faction among the mustang crowd now and that makes me sick to my stomach. Bad enough Ford decided it necessary to cater to the European crowd in the first place.

I hate to break it to you my friend but there is already a large ricer faction among the Mustang crowd. We've all seen it: big unadulterated wings (not Cobra R type or usable for any downforce), terrible body kits, Lambo doors, neon, huge rims, just all around Rice-A-Roni. I doubt the 4 cylinder coming around is going to dramatically increase the ricer population much more :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread