The Ecoboost Disappointment

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I like how subarus sound with their unequal length headers, but I can't speculate on how the turbo 4 mustang will sound. I hope it sounds good like the subarus but I have my doubts.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I like how the OP acts like there arent already loads of idiots putting any number of exhaust systems on their V6 car that sound like ass and we don't make fun of them for that too... Does it REALLY matter if its a V6 mustang with catless dual exhaust, body kit, neons and lambo doors or if its a 4 cylinder with the same shit?

the ecoboost motor is a business decision and looks like it might be a good one if they dont get killed with warranty claims. As mentioned they need this car to help fleet economy requirements so they can build and sell V8 cars. Some countries have surcharges for engine size before you even talk about the absurd fuel prices, if theyre going to offer it to the rest of the world why not here too? People buying this car will help ensure Ford and the Mustang, with all its engine choices, are able to keep going

onlya302

Rise to the Challenege
Established Member
I like how subarus sound with their unequal length headers, but I can't speculate on how the turbo 4 mustang will sound. I hope it sounds good like the subarus but I have my doubts.

I highly doubt that it will sound like a Subie, those horizontally opposed engines have a sound of their own... I imagine Ford will try to make it sound like a more aggressive Fiesta/Focus ST...

Softballer77

Established Member
To me, a flow master gt from 87-93 sounds good. Lots of different ones sound good on the 2 valves, and the new GTs...I haven't heard too many that sound bad . Just my opinion though. V6 New Edges however...I know they are just trying to sound like v8s when they dual those things out, but like I said way up there...to me, V6s were in the initial mustangs. So, they are what they are. 4 cylinders came out later...and I don't know a soul collecting 4 cylinder 74s, no matter how many they sold.

I go to the autocross and drag strips, and I see TONS of Hondas, STis, EVOs, etc all with turbo 4s turning ungodly amounts of horsepower. They all sound slightly different in my eyes (yes...I KNOW, they don't all sound the same), but to me, a 4 cylinder sounds nothing like a V8. And you want to talk about sounding like sex?? Ok, well I guess we all have different tastes. But I will take my Stainless Works 3" exhaust V8 sound any day over the others. But that's me.

What's next? 3 cylinder turbo Mustangs???

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

if Uncle Sam continues having their way with pushing these mileage requirements it may not be far fetched...although I think wed see a hybrid first. Hows a hybrid mustang make you feel? Then it wont make any noise most of the time

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
To me, a flow master gt from 87-93 sounds good. Lots of different ones sound good on the 2 valves, and the new GTs...I haven't heard too many that sound bad . Just my opinion though. V6 New Edges however...I know they are just trying to sound like v8s when they dual those things out, but like I said way up there...to me, V6s were in the initial mustangs. So, they are what they are. 4 cylinders came out later...and I don't know a soul collecting 4 cylinder 74s, no matter how many they sold.

I go to the autocross and drag strips, and I see TONS of Hondas, STis, EVOs, etc all with turbo 4s turning ungodly amounts of horsepower. They all sound slightly different in my eyes (yes...I KNOW, they don't all sound the same), but to me, a 4 cylinder sounds nothing like a V8. And you want to talk about sounding like sex?? Ok, well I guess we all have different tastes. But I will take my Stainless Works 3" exhaust V8 sound any day over the others. But that's me.

No one is arguing that a 4 cyl sounds better than a v8, just that not all 4 cyl sound bad.

As far as a 3 cylinder turbo mustang, it's very likely to be in the future when the mustang gets redesigned again in probably 10 years. It just has to shed enough weight to make it a viable option. Motor technology will advance a lot as well. The days of [new] affordable v8's will come to an end. It's just a matter of when, it's already too late in Europe.

Voltwings

Established Member
They put a straight 6 in the mustang too, who in their right mind would turn that engine down if it came back even though its "not a v8?" Horsepower is horsepower man, if you have a stout engine that can make it , i fail to see the problem.

BMR Tech

I think the Ecoboost option is a great one.

Most diehard Mustang fans have a special place in their heart and minds for the 4cyl Turbo SVO Mustang. As a matter of fact, it is likely sought after as much or more than any other 1979-1993 Mustang Model - and that platform is/was a hug success.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
They put a straight 6 in the mustang too, who in their right mind would turn that engine down if it came back even though its "not a v8?" Horsepower is horsepower man, if you have a stout engine that can make it , i fail to see the problem.

A GNX is a good example.

EditorTurner

Established Member
Why can't more performance choices be a good thing for the Mustang? If you don't want a turbo four, there is a V-8 option.

I have a Focus ST and a GT500. I enjoy them both for different reasons.

In the end I forsee a time that Ecoboost joins the V-8. Think of the four-cylinder as training wheels for us all to get a handle on modding GTDI engines.

Softballer77

Established Member
I never said I hated V6s. I never said I hated 4 cylinders cars in general. I just hate seeing one being reintroduced into the Mustang. It hasn't had one in years, and the ones before it didn't do so well either. SVOs...so they sold millions of those heh? Hey, they had their place, but they were a very special, limited production run car.

I see 6 cylinder GTRs run all over most of the cars in the world. But they have always been known for V6s. And I'm sure there are people out there that own one, that would never buy another one if it came with a 4 cylinder. I for one have never owned a 4 cylinder Mustang, and I won't buy one next year. If it's performance you want, then the GT will beat it. I think we all know that. You don't buy the 4 cylinder if you are serious about winging one around a track, track pack or not. (besides the fact that I think it will be one of the largest mass produced platforms size and weight-wise to hold a 4 cylinder).

Do we all remember 4 cylinder Camaros??? I know, I know...not the same engine as the "ecoboost". But nobody bought those for performance...most of the people who did buy them was so they could say "I own a Camaro". And that was really it. If you wanted performance, you went with the better Camaro. If you want performance, you will go with the better Mustang. I understand the business side of it. And if they sell a lot, they will make a lot. But Ford could get into making the best bubble gum in the world if they knew it made money, and they won't be getting into that business I can tell ya. Because bubble gum is just not what they are known for. 4 cylinder Mustangs, they are not known for. They want to broaden horizons, then they can go ahead.

Hybrids Mustang. Nope...wouldn't buy one of those either. I like feeling my car, hearing my car, working on my car. If I want to change a battery and park in the front spot at the mall, i'll buy a different car.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The problem is that us performance enthusiasts are overwhelmingly outspoken by those who don't care about racing their car. These people don't care about cutting sub 11-sec. 1/4 mile times. They care about having a Mustang that is cheap to operate, insure, and is fun to drive. The turbo 4 will be a great auto-x car as well as being a fun car to just drive places. That is the demographic for this car. Not the die-hard v-8, need the most hp, bench racers.

Heck, some people shouldn't drive a high hp car. I can't speak for all years, but pretty much ever since the sn-95 at least, the v-6 has outsold the v-8. I am sure Ford is having a hard time justifying a low-volume car as it is. removing potential customers will just put the nail in the coffin. The mustang is a huge image boost for Ford, and they will do everything they can to keep it in production. They won't lose money on it though.

mavisky

Established Member
The difference between now and 1974 is that the 4 cylinder isn't the economy option. The v6 will maintain it's status as the base model and the Ecoboost will be between it and the GT. Similar to the way the Ecoboost V6 is in the F150. The Ecoboost will make more hp than the v6 and be lighter. It will be a better performer than the v6 and in some instrumented tests it will probably come close to matching the V8 in areas like slalom speeds and skidpad numbers so long as they give it a fair shot with equivalently sized tires.

Clemson

Established Member
I never said I hated V6s. I never said I hated 4 cylinders cars in general. I just hate seeing one being reintroduced into the Mustang. It hasn't had one in years, and the ones before it didn't do so well either. SVOs...so they sold millions of those heh? Hey, they had their place, but they were a very special, limited production run car.

I see 6 cylinder GTRs run all over most of the cars in the world. But they have always been known for V6s. And I'm sure there are people out there that own one, that would never buy another one if it came with a 4 cylinder. I for one have never owned a 4 cylinder Mustang, and I won't buy one next year. If it's performance you want, then the GT will beat it. I think we all know that. You don't buy the 4 cylinder if you are serious about winging one around a track, track pack or not. (besides the fact that I think it will be one of the largest mass produced platforms size and weight-wise to hold a 4 cylinder).

Do we all remember 4 cylinder Camaros??? I know, I know...not the same engine as the "ecoboost". But nobody bought those for performance...most of the people who did buy them was so they could say "I own a Camaro". And that was really it. If you wanted performance, you went with the better Camaro. If you want performance, you will go with the better Mustang. I understand the business side of it. And if they sell a lot, they will make a lot. But Ford could get into making the best bubble gum in the world if they knew it made money, and they won't be getting into that business I can tell ya. Because bubble gum is just not what they are known for. 4 cylinder Mustangs, they are not known for. They want to broaden horizons, then they can go ahead.

Hybrids Mustang. Nope...wouldn't buy one of those either. I like feeling my car, hearing my car, working on my car. If I want to change a battery and park in the front spot at the mall, i'll buy a different car.

Well my brother, I guess we will just be outcasts in this gay new world of euro-sedan looking, turbo 4 banger mustangs.

Clemson

Established Member

Well my brother, I guess we will just be outcasts in this gay new world of euro-sedan looking, turbo 4 banger mustangs.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'm actually excited to see what the EB mustang will be like. I live in Colorado, so turbo vehicles have quite the advantage up here over NA cars.

I won't be purchasing the S550 unless it has a coyote in it, that's just me, but I bet the EB mustang will really beat up on the 3v cars up here.

Users who are viewing this thread