The cost of a tune now a days?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
shiiiiit you're lucky, the Gen Vs need 20 HP Credits @ $50 ea, so $1000 in credits ALONE lol

@OP, you can shop around, but PLEASE dont pick a tune based on 'who's the cheapest' for the love of god

Yep. Good thing my car is ancient haha

01yellercobra

Established Member
Around me, Alb NM area it's always been 500, mustang shop switched from sct tuning to hp tuners so charges an extra 100 to unlock the ecu with them now. Re-tuning is another 2-300 if they tuned it before. I did take one of my cars to tucson area years ago and the shops charged 800-1000 but everything is more expensive out there. I would have a hard time paying that, especially at a shop that tunes every car not mustang specific. I had my boosted coyote car remote tuned two years ago and ran ok. Through numerous cars over the years I've used remote tuning, then dyno tuning when I had the chance to make the drive. Dyno tune always has made more power, throttle response, gas mileage, idle all are better. When I added longtubes to my gen3r coyote last year it added about 30whp with remote tuning. Dyno tune added another 70whp and runs like a raped gorilla. Once I get the terminator finished up, Metco idlers, upper pulley, HE, etc. It will be getting trailered to the dyno.
I'd say that's more of a tuner issue. They're looking at the same data whether it's remote or in person. The remote tuner might have gone more conservative for whatever reason.
Anyone know of a good-well reputed remote tuner for MS3 systems?
MalcolmV8 sells them and has experience. Might be worth reaching out.

papajoewill

Established Member
I'd say that's more of a tuner issue. They're looking at the same data whether it's remote or in person. The remote tuner might have gone more conservative for whatever reason. MalcolmV8 sells them and has experience. Might be worth reaching out.
Lol I bought mine from him more than a year ago ;) Appreciate the help though! In fact, I had the first batch that didn't even have the reverse lockout solved lol.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Lund tuned my 07 GT500 about 4 years ago but required me to install a Wideband. Not including the WB, I was into that tune for about $700 if I remember right.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
OG’s, what was the name of that place years ago, was it Amazon tuning? Guys name was Rick iirc.

decipha

Established Member
OP- if they are jacking up the price that much due to a simple pulley swap then that means they arent really tuning it. Some shops load value files for near stock setups and let it roll, it makes what it makes and they dont actually tune it. Do not use that shop.

For reference we charge between 550 and 650 for boosted full custom dyno tunes and include revisions for any issues you have at no extra charge. If you modify it and bring it back we do it on a case by case basis but its usually between $125 to $300 depending on how much was changed i.e. how long its going to take to dial in.

I do online/remote tunes for $450 and include free lifetime updates. In fact just this morning I sent a guy a free update from a tune I did for him back in 2008 as he just swapped cams.

As far as anything pre 2011 most tuners dont want to hassle with them since they do not have factory widebands to correct fueling for them.

Any 2010 and older ford thats not heavily boosted as in lets say 15 lbs and under can be dialed in remotely without a wideband although its not advisable.

I do several hundred 2v 3v and 4v eec-iv and eec-v / powerpc a year and never any problems. The more tuners that steer them away the more we get.

As far as software, any shop that uses hptuners exclusively isnt going to touch anything that old as hpt doesnt support it fully/correctly.

Best bet for anything 2004 and older is to get a tuner that uses a quarterhorse and tunerpro. You can buy the quarterhorse direct from moates for $250. Tunerpro the custom tuning software is free. The older ecus are extremely simple to tune with the right tools.

Nightride- If you picked up 70rwhp with a dyno tune over a remote tune then your remote tuner was an idiot. The 2011+ cars do not require a dyno unless you do head or cam modifications.

As far as driveability is concerned an online/remote tune is going to have as near as stock driveability as possible as the tuner is not limited to a single day and time to dial everything in. Cold starts and actual street manners cannot be dialed in any other way other than when actually driving it on the street rather than simulating it on a dyno.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
OG’s, what was the name of that place years ago, was it Amazon tuning? Guys name was Rick iirc.
Yeah that place started off well and customers started complaining on here and the other Lightning forums. Don’t know if they are even still around anymore but I’m sure he changed locations and the name of his shop.

NotoriousGT350

Lubbock Terminator
Established Member
Yeah that place started off well and customers started complaining on here and the other Lightning forums. Don’t know if they are even still around anymore but I’m sure he changed locations and the name of his shop.
When I first purchase my used cobra in 2005, it had a Predator can tune. I then used Rick at Amazon for email tunes. I just needed a laptop and connections for the predator and uploads my stock tune and email Rick. It took about 3-4 revisions emailing back and forth before it was spot on.

It was 93 octane tune with 23* of timing. Granted I ran race gas or Torco once in a while if I was racing and that tune was salty!!! Wondered what happen to him. I remember just chatting on the phone for 20 minutes every now and then about my cobra, cobras in general, and would just shoot the shits. I had a different tuner for my cobra in 2009. He was even surprised how aggressive the tune was.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Lol I bought mine from him more than a year ago ;) Appreciate the help though! In fact, I had the first batch that didn't even have the reverse lockout solved lol.
My original is from that same batch. I think I was one of the first to tell them about that. As well as the speedo issue.

It's honestly not that bad to tune yourself.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
An in person good dyno tune will turn off cat over temp for off road or long tubes that a remote tuner won't do. Among a few other little things that make a huge difference. Also keep in mind a vmp or lund tune most likely isn't from justin or Jon himself. They do a couple revisions to get it running good. Won't be as dialed in as 6-10 pulls on the dyno imo. I've done this with a handful of cars over the years. Different blower swaps etc. And that has been my experience.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Thank the EPA. Things shops used to do, they don't do anymore. Less volume, higher price. The shop I use says he is getting phone calls that are clearly EPA compliance checks.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I raise you a foxbody using the factory ECU lol

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

My Fox remote tuner:

Remote tuning is great. But I don’t think any reputable remote tuner would touch a pre my11 mustang these days without a wideband monitoring system installed.

In my Area ships are 800+ and that doesn’t include the tuner device. Nuts

Bingo, lots of tuners don't want to mess with the pre-wideband stuff. That's especially true if it's more than a very basic setup. Tuners that have been in the game for 20+ years have lots of tune files from these older generation cars to start from, the newer tuners do not. Then you also have the issue of 20 year old injectors, coils, pumps, etc. At this point, you really need to be hands on with a car like this or be willing to hand it over to a reputable shop.

When I first purchase my used cobra in 2005, it had a Predator can tune. I then used Rick at Amazon for email tunes. I just needed a laptop and connections for the predator and uploads my stock tune and email Rick. It took about 3-4 revisions emailing back and forth before it was spot on.

It was 93 octane tune with 23* of timing. Granted I ran race gas or Torco once in a while if I was racing and that tune was salty!!! Wondered what happen to him. I remember just chatting on the phone for 20 minutes every now and then about my cobra, cobras in general, and would just shoot the shits. I had a different tuner for my cobra in 2009. He was even surprised how aggressive the tune was.

Rick would turn up the wick for those he knew understood the potential consequences. A tank of bad fuel or a cold front can easily take out one of these older vehicles with a 10/10 tune.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Speedo issue...?
The speedo bounces around 50-60mph. It is/was an issue across the board. No biggie really if you don't use cruise control. But I use it on my long drives. It took a few tries, but they found a fix. I don't know if it was put into the new batches. The ECU needs to be sent back for the fix.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Yeah, it's getting to be a rich man's game to even mod and tune a car. Don't get me started on the price of wheels either.
Anyway, I'm lucky in that my friends and I are good friends with the best local tuner and have used him many times. Not saying I get it for nothing, but I get it a little cheaper. I also buy pizza from his favorite local shop down the street to ease things along too. He takes care of us, so 3 or 4 pizzas for all of us isn't even a second thought.

Users who are viewing this thread