The cost of a tune now a days?

ARMEDSVT

Established Member
Hey fellas,

I ask this question because I called a local very well known tuner/ shop in my neck of the woods and I asked them how much it would be to tune my car. I was shocked by their answer, they said about $800 bucks.

They originally said $500 bucks which I was cool with. Then I called back a month later to schedule a date, they asked if it was stock or if I had any mods. I told them that the only engine mods that I have are a CAI and a cat-back exhaust but that I was going to upgrade the upper pulley to a 2.81. They said that the tune with a stock pulley was $500 bucks and that if I wanted a custom tune with the 2.81 it would be $800.

Maybe I’m not understanding but why would the price jump another $300 bucks with a different pulley? Isn’t it essentially the same process regardless of pulley size?

I asked them if it was more because they’re changing the upper pulley and they said no, that changing the pulley was an additional charge. They said it was more expensive because it’s a custom tune.

It doesn’t make sense to me.

What’s the average price of a tune? A few years back I remember it running around 400-500 bucks.

Thanks in advance!

OSU34

Established Member
That’s absurd. AED in Northern CA charges $500 for a dyno tune and a remote tune is even less. I’d go that route if I were you.

q6543

Established Member
Places around me won't touch pre 2011 coyote cars anymore.

I bought a megasquirt and began learning... I was able to rent the dyno for 125/hr... and even that was booked for like a month in advance.

That said... if you have to buy a 300 or more dollar chip or handheld... 800 is about right.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Places around me won't touch pre 2011 coyote cars anymore.

I bought a megasquirt and began learning.
It’s a dying art. Or laziness lol. I bet more places would take it, if said owner had a wideband monitoring (part of the issue).

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Around me, Alb NM area it's always been 500, mustang shop switched from sct tuning to hp tuners so charges an extra 100 to unlock the ecu with them now. Re-tuning is another 2-300 if they tuned it before. I did take one of my cars to tucson area years ago and the shops charged 800-1000 but everything is more expensive out there. I would have a hard time paying that, especially at a shop that tunes every car not mustang specific. I had my boosted coyote car remote tuned two years ago and ran ok. Through numerous cars over the years I've used remote tuning, then dyno tuning when I had the chance to make the drive. Dyno tune always has made more power, throttle response, gas mileage, idle all are better. When I added longtubes to my gen3r coyote last year it added about 30whp with remote tuning. Dyno tune added another 70whp and runs like a raped gorilla. Once I get the terminator finished up, Metco idlers, upper pulley, HE, etc. It will be getting trailered to the dyno.

03' White Snake

Established Member
The only way I see it costing $800, is if he is trying to sell you an X4 tuner also with the tune. The handhelds are $400 alone. I don’t see how he would tune it for $500 “being stock”. Sounds like he was pocketing your money and not tuning it.

My tuner charges $400 for a new tune from scratch. If I make mild changes, different boost levels etc, it’s $250 each tune. I only pay $400 if it is a completely different setup.

blownfox

Established Member
I could see $8-900 if you had to buy a tuning device. Since you are in CA, you should reach out to AED.

I already had a sct X4 and my remote tunes was about $4-500 for the first tune and depending on the changes could be another $150 for additional tunes. this was 3 years ago.

I think my first tune was $350 from VMP plus 300 for the handheld and that was back in 2016. Their pulley only tune was good but the 2.3 tune was junk and ended up using MalcomV8 for my remote tunes.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd gladly pay $800-900 for a good tune.

I'm doing heads/cam on my Viper next week...the tune including dyno time is about $1850, and it's worth it.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Last car i had tuned was in 16 and it was 600+50 for the chip. 800 isn’t absurd.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Remote tuning is great. But I don’t think any reputable remote tuner would touch a pre my11 mustang these days without a wideband monitoring system installed.

In my Area ships are 800+ and that doesn’t include the tuner device. Nuts

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I get a family discount with my tuner and I pay $250 for tuning alone. If I needed a handheld it would +$400. $800 with the purchase of a device sounds right to me.

Also, with inflation being what it is, we will see prices jump. People got to make a living. LGB

Zemedici

Established Member
I'd gladly pay $800-900 for a good tune.

I'm doing heads/cam on my Viper next week...the tune including dyno time is about $1850, and it's worth it.

shiiiiit you're lucky, the Gen Vs need 20 HP Credits @ $50 ea, so $1000 in credits ALONE lol

@OP, you can shop around, but PLEASE dont pick a tune based on 'who's the cheapest' for the love of god

Users who are viewing this thread