The Beast has Arrived! 2022 F250 content

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
The modern gas motors get better mpg than I would have imagined. 20 years ago, the "big blocks" by all companies would average 10-12 mpg empty.

The fact that now days these motors have 2x the horsepower and can achieve 14mpg is pretty amazing to be honest.
I want 14 so bad right now haha. Let’s go Brandon!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah I try to drive pretty conservative too just to help the wallet lol. I was expecting 14-15 average based on my research too.

I’m reserving judgment on if there’s a problem until I hit 5k miles or so to allow the full on break in happen. I had almost 1500 mi before towing so it isn’t skewed too much. I was really hoping for 11-12 towing the boat (5k lbs) but I’m lucky to get 9.0. Windy day was 8.8 mpg

That's wild.

My dually is getting 12.1 with mostly city driving...

It was getting 10.8 before @JJackson515 worked some magic.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Holy shit. I’m hoping @SID297 can somehow make me a winner of a 5 star tune if this thing doesn’t figure itself out lol

Edit - for reference i have to try really hard to get any less than 17.5 on the 3.5 eco which has treated me so well over the years.

andymarkv

Established Member
The modern gas motors get better mpg than I would have imagined. 20 years ago, the "big blocks" by all companies would average 10-12 mpg empty.
I hear ya! I was blown away back in the 90's when my buddy told me that his loaded Big Truck got 5-7mpg, while his unloaded 454 dually only got 9-10! Seemed obscene that a loaded 18 wheeler was only half the mpg of an unloaded gas pickup...

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Let’s play guess my mpg.

I hit 13.4 all highway to the lake this weekend not towing. Progress.

However, brought the camper home to give it a good post season cleaning. Driving 65-70 mph home 75 miles, 13 mph cross/head wind. First correct guess gets the satisfaction knowing they had a good guess.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
6.7. I’m not crazy thinking that’s low right?

I will say the stability in that crosswind was a yuuuuge upgrade vs the F150

Definitely low. Like super low. What kind of RPM were you seeing? Were you in tow mode? What gear?

Oh I'm sure. Probably felt a whole lot more planted.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Tow haul mode, 8th gear mainly only got to 9 on a couple 1% downhill grades and into 6th in the uphill. Running right around 2100 rpm while cruising I’d say.

It feels so peppy without a trailer and getting up to speed is pretty effortless still. But once I’m cruising it’s just feeling a little sluggish

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Tow haul mode, 8th gear mainly only got to 9 on a couple 1% downhill grades and into 6th in the uphill. Running right around 2100 rpm while cruising I’d say.

It feels so peppy without a trailer and getting up to speed is pretty effortless still. But once I’m cruising it’s just feeling a little sluggish

Blower time.

What kind of mileage are you getting, @DriftwoodSVT ?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Let’s play guess my mpg.

I hit 13.4 all highway to the lake this weekend not towing. Progress.

However, brought the camper home to give it a good post season cleaning. Driving 65-70 mph home 75 miles, 13 mph cross/head wind. First correct guess gets the satisfaction knowing they had a good guess.

6.7mpg under load sounds right to me. What does your camper weigh and how long?

When im towing 70-75 mph, my dually cummins truck will get low 9's high 8's if there is wind or i push it.

Is what it is.

The guys that say they get 14mpg towing 10k lbs are full of shit.

Users who are viewing this thread