Texting-Unprofessional?

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
Often times, if the customer texts me I don't typically mind.

We do custom plantation shutters, retail and wholesale. Wholesale, I understand completely because I am dealing with the same people over and over again.

What bought this whole conversation around was a text earlier today.
Called a company about a piece of machinery I was interested in. They gave me the sales reps number, no big deal. So, I call the guy and went to voicemail. Therefore, I left my information about myself and company.
20 minutes later, I get a text with the video of machine and was basically told to ask questions I needed to. At that point, I don't want to have a texting conversation over a $120,000 machine.

I feel like that would be a phone call, that's a lot of money.

Blown 89

Established Member
The clients at my second business all text and I think it's very unprofessional. I prefer to pick up the phone....it's quicker and allows me to multi-task. Millennials will start to understand this once they grow up and get big boy jobs.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
The clients at my second business all text and I think it's very unprofessional. I prefer to pick up the phone....it's quicker and allows me to multi-task. Millennials will start to understand this once they grow up and get big boy jobs.
It’s not always millenials. I know plenty of old guys that prefer texting to an old fashioned phone call. But what ya gonna do lol

ZincYellowGT281

Established Member
Not necessarily, I am also a younger professional (Realtor). I use to keep my business inquires through emails and calls, but with everyone texting, it just seems like an easier way to communicate when handling transactions.

Although you should always read the room... There are times when I need to handle "special situations" that are best tackled through phone conversations. I've had a mix of ages, so it definitely doesn't seem like a millennial thing.

coposrv

Established Member
I'm 32 and prefer a phone call at first. Email after for documentation and I'll text if a customer texts me first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sirhc7897

Established Member
We do it all the time but I’m also a surveyor in the construction field. A text with the info they are asking for or tasks they are requesting is a whole lot more reliably transferred via text than via phone call on a loud construction site.

Just the whole being able to text, send pics, email files, etc. has streamlined my profession considerably and cut out tons of potential data transfer communication errors.

With that said if I am dealing with invoice questions, discussing job scopes, potential problems, etc. I prefer to do that via phone call or in person.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Depends on what side of the transaction I'm on. If I'm the customer I like getting text updates. If I'm on the business side I prefer to send emails.

96 cobra

Established Member
Just limit the number of poop emojis...

Poop_Emoji_7b204f05-eec6-4496-91b1-351acc03d2c7_large.png

97snakebite

Established Member
I don't mind text messages but I prefer email or phone call if I'm the professional . when I'm the customer I do not mind text messages on follow-ups but your initial better be by phone or email

7upstang

Established Member
I feel like that would be a phone call, that's a lot of money.
Those were my thoughts too.
That's my point, a phone call for a sale is more personal.
We do it all the time but I’m also a surveyor in the construction field. A text with the info they are asking for or tasks they are requesting is a whole lot more reliably transferred via text than via phone call on a loud construction site.

Just the whole being able to text, send pics, email files, etc. has streamlined my profession considerably and cut out tons of potential data transfer communication errors.

With that said if I am dealing with invoice questions, discussing job scopes, potential problems, etc. I prefer to do that via phone call or in person.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Which I don't blame you, I understand the ease of texting. We text inner office with employees in the field or at other locations. One simple instruction is nice via text.

I don’t give my number out. Call my office if you want to talk to me about work.
Wish I could say the same, but I have an office in Naples and one in Fort Myers, I have to be mobile.

CV355

_
Established Member
I prefer email, since I've had to pull 5 or 6 year old emails to end a conflict before. If it's not in writing, it didn't happen. If you ever work with someone who refuses to put anything in writing, be cautious.

As for texting, I have a few customers and suppliers who we've developed very good working relationships with- pretty much to the point of friendship outside of work. I obviously can't let that influence decision-making at work, but if they send me a text message saying "hey, I need ____ quick," I don't mind staying a little late to help them out of a jam. It's a little more interpersonal but certainly not appropriate in all circumstances.

If it's important, put it in email
If it's in passing, I don't mind a phone call or text.

When dealing with co-workers, it's the same set of rules but the texting is more relaxed. As long as it is work-related, I don't care. I'll often get a "hey, where are the drawings for ________" text, or "can you explain how _______ works?" with a picture of some mechanism. Sometimes I get a "you really suck" message with a picture of something that someone broke.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I will say that I had a business use a text very creativly this summer. We made reservations in a marina and they sent our slip assignment, facility codes, and a high-res overhead view (pic/map) of the facility all by text. All that stuff makes life way easier when coming into a new place for the first time.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
It all depends on the environment. In I.T. I like texts (in English, not shorthand) & email since it leaves a nice record of events. I'm on the phone a lot.... so if someone is having a problem they can shoot me messages and I can respond at the same time as I'm on the phone working another problem and knock out more at once. Typically I'll call or email if I'm initiating contact, and respond using whichever method was used to contact me when replying.

Users who are viewing this thread