Texting-Unprofessional?

Coiled03

Established Member
The act of texting as opposed to calling isn't unprofessional, to me. However, using shorthand text is VERY unprofessional.

08mojo

Established Member
If you call me from an unsaved number you better leave a VM. I won't answer the call and without a VM you're never going to get a call back.

There are times for leaving voicemails, such as the example above. But, do not leave me this voicemail, "hey, call me."

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
At 25 I never text at work.
It's unprofessional in my opinion. I always give the people I want to talk to a call and if it is something that has to be through text or sending files, it's through email.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
There are times for leaving voicemails, such as the example above. But, do not leave me this voicemail, "hey, call me."

The text I hate is , give me a call. That’s a control freak that I will pass on. **** no call me MF your the one that needs my help, or you just text me and you can’t say what you need. BS.
I own a Plumbing company and lots of customers text these days. Many referrals from my long time customers will text me and explain who they are and what they want, I also ask for people to send a photo if it’s a weird problem or need a serial number.

08mojo

Established Member
The text I hate is , give me a call. That’s a control freak that I will pass on. **** no call me MF your the one that needs my help, or you just text me and you can’t say what you need. BS.
I own a Plumbing company and lots of customers text these days. Many referrals from my long time customers will text me and explain who they are and what they want, I also ask for people to send a photo if it’s a weird problem or need a serial number.

I guess it depends on your work. I often deal with sensitive information that I'd rather not have in a text, email or voicemail. So, I don't mind when someone sends a text that says, "give me a call when you have a minute." Or, simply "give me a call." It's never made me angry or annoyed because texts are easy to acknowledge during a meeting or if you're on another call.

However, voicemails are annoying. You have to dedicate your complete attention to a voicemail. A voicemail cannot be checked during a meeting, conversation, or casually like a text can. So, when I finally get the time to check voicemail and all the message says is, "give me a call when you get a minute" it annoys me.

Machdup1

Established Member
Texting is perfectly acceptable in the work place so long as you use professional communication.

mysteed

Established Member
We use texting as a way to communicate with our customers the status of the vehicle while it's in the shop. We find it's also much easier for us to text you to please call us at your convenience instead of playing "phone tag" over the course of several hours.

Rct851

Established Member
just don't text me about non emergencies outside of business hours. It is not assumed my cell phone is 24/7 access to me.

if you don't feel the time of day or day of the week is acceptable to call then it is not acceptable to text.

cobralvr01

Established Member
Not so much anymore. Quite a few studies have been conducted that show that millennials are texting instead of emailing more as it's more efficient and easier access. Business owners and suppliers are becoming more aware of this fact and are starting to jump on board as well. I'm an R&D project manager and I text about 30% of my suppliers for my projects but I have a relationship built with them, though. You need to build that partnership with them first and then maintain texting. Texting is more informal and personal so it breaks down the professional, corporate barrier which breads a stronger relationship and comradery.

Users who are viewing this thread