Texting-Unprofessional?

7upstang

Established Member
Anyone else feel that texting a customer is unprofessional?

Texting between employees or a customer I have developed a relationship seems fine. I always let the customer text me first, however I prefer an email or phone call.

However, texting a brand new client seems very unprofessional. To me a text seems very impersonal, there is no relationship, emotion or tone of voice involved.

Thoughts? At age 26, I try my best to not be the stereotypical guy of my generation with constantly texting, just because I tend to cater to an older generation than my own.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
It depends on what kind of business you are talking about. I manage commercial rental properties and I'm always texting with my electricians, plumbers, HVAC guys, and some tenants.

And I'm old. ;)

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
It depends on the type of business and the manner in which communication is exchanged.

96gt02

Established Member
If im the customer I love getting texts as emails typically take longer IMO, but as far as my work I do not text customers ever

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I appreciate follow up through most any medium.

With that being said, I require some form of reasonable writing/wording. If you text me short hand and I'm your customer, I would short hand you the dough. But if you're professional and courteous, no problem.

It's not uncommon to find a service professional texting me. However...

I did have a doctors office staffer text me after hours, while at home, while making dinner with the girlfriend, and basically ask me out.

Pretty sure that's illegal. So.. slippery slope there.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Good thing about texting from a professional standpoint is it is a good record of what is exactly said. Seems more and more people are uncomfortable talking.

Sent from my XT1650 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I communicate with lots of my clients via text. Most can't drop what they're doing to answer a phone call.

Zemedici

Established Member
I prefer business to be handled on the shop phone. Its much easier to gauge a person's sentiments via actual phone call vs impersonal text messages.

I give local customers my cell phone number, in case of emergencies. However, if they're wanting a quote or something, they know to call the shop.

7upstang

Established Member
Often times, if the customer texts me I don't typically mind.

We do custom plantation shutters, retail and wholesale. Wholesale, I understand completely because I am dealing with the same people over and over again.

What bought this whole conversation around was a text earlier today.
Called a company about a piece of machinery I was interested in. They gave me the sales reps number, no big deal. So, I call the guy and went to voicemail. Therefore, I left my information about myself and company.
20 minutes later, I get a text with the video of machine and was basically told to ask questions I needed to. At that point, I don't want to have a texting conversation over a $120,000 machine.

Users who are viewing this thread