Tesla Model "S" Plaid (Laguna Seca) 1:30.3

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bob, im hoping next year or the year after they do an exterior design change as they did with the interior this year. If they do and it looks better I may order one. I mean if ur gonna buy a really expensive car than it should at least look expensive lol.

I wonder if they will offer upgrades over the internet tho. Things like longer distance and more HP via wirelessly. I do hear that the mileage distance u get is FAR less than advertised.

Im guessing if u went really slow it might get the 520 mile range but who the hell could stay out of an 1100 whp car. Not me trust me I know.....lol
Brett, I just got off the phone with my brother in Texas. He's had his Tesla Model 3 Performance for over two years and loves it. The only thing he doesn't like is the plain and bla exterior. Anyway, I asked him pretty much the same questions you just raised as far as performance and range. He knows a lot about these cars and has visited the Tesla dealership many times to stay up on the new stuff. He told me that you'll be able to upgrade (software) enhanced range or features, but the performance can be upgraded by adding, for example, another battery or larger batteries. It would be too costly. He said you would have to upgrade the vehicle. I can understand that when you consider the cost of EV hardware like batteries.

Ranges IMO are exaggerated, especially for future EVs from other manufacturers. They all want to decrown Tesla. I'll believe their claims of electric HP and range when I see it.

Like you, if I drove an 1100hp EV it would be darn near impossible to not play with it. And with that playing comes a big reduction in range. But the fun of playing with all the power would probably greatly outweigh the need to conserve. LOL.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Brett, I just got off the phone with my brother in Texas. He's had his Tesla Model 3 Performance for over two years and loves it. The only thing he doesn't like is the plain and bla exterior. Anyway, I asked him pretty much the same questions you just raised as far as performance and range. He knows a lot about these cars and has visited the Tesla dealership many times to stay up on the new stuff. He told me that you'll be able to upgrade (software) enhanced range or features, but the performance can be upgraded by adding, for example, another battery or larger batteries. It would be too costly. He said you would have to upgrade the vehicle. I can understand that when you consider the cost of EV hardware like batteries.

Ranges IMO are exaggerated, especially for future EVs from other manufacturers. They all want to decrown Tesla. I'll believe their claims of electric HP and range when I see it.

Like you, if I drove an 1100hp EV it would be darn near impossible to not play with it. And with that playing comes a big reduction in range. But the fun of playing with all the power would probably greatly outweigh the need to conserve. LOL.
Good info. Range is a huge deal. I don't really care too much about my gas mileage, if I don't get the advertised, not that big of a deal for me. Not getting the range though and having the 30+ min recharge is a deal killer. I hope they get the ranges up to give me the safety factor - an yes I would still like to run the 9 sec pass without much range loss. Lol.

blk02edge

Established Member
Ah, nice go-cart.
It's not bad... But anyway we know how this goes, you see a pro throw down a well engineered lap in testing, when the production models hit with their average joe drivers he'd be about 12-15 seconds slow at least in real life unless he's a secret IMSA pro.. My car with its current setup will run 28's all day long.

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
Good info. Range is a huge deal. I don't really care too much about my gas mileage, if I don't get the advertised, not that big of a deal for me. Not getting the range though and having the 30+ min recharge is a deal killer. I hope they get the ranges up to give me the safety factor - an yes I would still like to run the 9 sec pass without much range loss. Lol.
Fast charging is really the key here. If it only had 200 miles of range, but you could re-charge 150 of that in under 10 minutes, it makes it much more bearable.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's not bad... But anyway we know how this goes, you see a pro throw down a well engineered lap in testing, when the production models hit with their average joe drivers he'd be about 12-15 seconds slow at least in real life unless he's a secret IMSA pro.. My car with its current setup will run 28's all day long.

Your car with you in it, or a pro? lol

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Fast charging is really the key here. If it only had 200 miles of range, but you could re-charge 150 of that in under 10 minutes, it makes it much more bearable.
Agreed. They need to get better on the cold weather battery life also.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Most boring road course video I’ve ever watched. Serious.

9-E704571-FE7-B-41-F4-A5-BC-13-B8369-DB762.gif

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
I think the more impressive part of this is basically taking a mid-low 9 second car and making it turn/brake pretty well. It has a top speed of 200 and 0-60 around 2 seconds. Both of these things can be accomplished in cars half the cost with not much effort (drag radial/prep), however those same cars WILL NOT lap a road course as well as the Tesla. So the all around performance I think is more impressive than say the 1/4 mile or the lap time as stand-alone stats.

Either way, I just don't think the looks live up to the price/performance AT ALL. What would push me over the edge, is an S550-eque body, with less weight than a Tesla, and preferably more raw sound, some type of gear noise or something. I don't want to feel like I'm on a roller coaster... I can do that shit for $5.

blk02edge

Established Member
I think the more impressive part of this is basically taking a mid-low 9 second car and making it turn/brake pretty well. It has a top speed of 200 and 0-60 around 2 seconds. Both of these things can be accomplished in cars half the cost with not much effort (drag radial/prep), however those same cars WILL NOT lap a road course as well as the Tesla. So the all around performance I think is more impressive than say the 1/4 mile or the lap time as stand-alone stats.

Either way, I just don't think the looks live up to the price/performance AT ALL. What would push me over the edge, is an S550-eque body, with less weight than a Tesla, and preferably more raw sound, some type of gear noise or something. I don't want to feel like I'm on a roller coaster... I can do that shit for $5.
There is no denying the toaster is one of the most impressive all round cars. Its just that it will absolutely kill auto racing as nobody will give a shit about watching them.

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
There is no denying the toaster is one of the most impressive all round cars. Its just that it will absolutely kill auto racing as nobody will give a shit about watching them.
LOL, I still watch F1 and they sound like broken Hondas or a can of bees, or something terrible.

FWIW, watching IMSA type stuff on TV gets you no noise. All those awesome V8 Ferraris and Vettes and you don't get to hear much of it.
Nascar is just one big noise. Tough call.
When it comes to noise, the one thing I'll never accept a replacement for is Top Fuel. That's real deal manly man noise right there.

blk02edge

Established Member
LOL, I still watch F1 and they sound like broken Hondas or a can of bees, or something terrible.

FWIW, watching IMSA type stuff on TV gets you no noise. All those awesome V8 Ferraris and Vettes and you don't get to hear much of it.
Nascar is just one big noise. Tough call.
When it comes to noise, the one thing I'll never accept a replacement for is Top Fuel. That's real deal manly man noise right there.
I cant watch F1 or IMSA for more than 5 minutes behind a screen... If I was there, I would watch the whole race. EV's will absolutely kill motorsport as we know it. They are an appliance.

Users who are viewing this thread