Tesla Model "S" Plaid (Laguna Seca) 1:30.3

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Btw, this is faster than The Mclaren P1 as well as the new ZR1 and the new Ferrari F8. Torque vectoring is no joke! Why they designed it to look like a Chevy Lumina is beyond me tho smh.

Last edited:

ToddW702

Established Member
That thing looks a little loose on entry. It’s fast as hell for sure. Looks like it would be a lot of fun, for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

My94GT

Established Member
Impressive for sure, and to think you just plop it in auto pilot mode and let it drive you home lol. It makes it hard not to want one of these.

My94GT

Established Member
So what tires and brake pads was it running? How prepped was this car for the track?
From what I see online it’s on a Michelin pilot cup 2 tire which will be released once the car is. Other than that the road and track article I saw mentioned no other change

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
Kinda cool. Although once you get into watching actual racing series: IMSA, F1, IndyCar, WRC, etc..these street car demonstrations are pretty meh.... especially at the price point of this thing and the others it's up against. Glad they're pushing the limits of electric, it'll be good for future of motorsports. But they are absolutely no where near actual race, top level, motorsports running for 4-24 hours at a time. These things are currently good for going to a local track day and popping off a few laps. Also the lack of sound is killing it for me. I've been to all types of road racing events and the unique sounds offer AT LEAST half of the overall enjoyment in the experience. The lack of sound will seriously detriment entertainment value, I don't care if you think sound is irrelevant. You're wrong. Period. Even on TV, imagine literally no engine sounds and just hearing announcers for hours on end? Shits ****ing whack. Formula E is a preview of the joke to come. Hopefully hybrids will be around for a few more decades to compromise.

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
Kinda cool. Although once you get into watching actual racing series: IMSA, F1, IndyCar, WRC, etc..these street car demonstrations are pretty meh.... especially at the price point of this thing and the others it's up against. Glad they're pushing the limits of electric, it'll be good for future of motorsports. But they are absolutely no where near actual race, top level, motorsports running for 4-24 hours at a time. These things are currently good for going to a local track day and popping off a few laps. Also the lack of sound is killing it for me. I've been to all types of road racing events and the unique sounds offer AT LEAST half of the overall enjoyment in the experience. The lack of sound will seriously detriment entertainment value, I don't care if you think sound is irrelevant. You're wrong. Period. Even on TV, imagine literally no engine sounds and just hearing announcers for hours on end? Shits ****ing whack. Formula E is a preview of the joke to come. Hopefully hybrids will be around for a few more decades to compromise.
Agreed on noise to a certain extent...that Ford racing thing with 1400 hp made all the straight cut gear noises you want from any type of race vehicle.

blk02edge

Established Member
Kinda cool. Although once you get into watching actual racing series: IMSA, F1, IndyCar, WRC, etc..these street car demonstrations are pretty meh.... especially at the price point of this thing and the others it's up against. Glad they're paying the limits of electric, it'll be good for future of motorsports. But they are absolutely no where near actual race, top level, motorsports running for 4-24 hours. These things are currently good for going to a local track day and popping off a few laps. Also the lack of sound is killing it for me. I've been to all.types of road racing events and the unique sounds offer AT LEAST half of the overall enjoyment in the experience. The lack of sound will seriously detriment entertainment. Even on TV, imagine literally no engine sounds and just hearing announcers? Shits ****ing whack. Formula E is a preview of the joke to come. Hopefully hybrids will be around for a few more decades to compromise.
Buddy of mine ran in the Jaguar I-pace series and the sounds were downright comical. Same with Formula-E. There really is no soul in it and whoever scoffs at the lack of soul comments can't possibly be real car enthusiasts.

There is no doubt that this Plaid is impressive with what its doing from a tech standpoint but speaking for myself, I'd be bored after 3 laps

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
Agreed on noise to a certain extent...that Ford racing thing with 1400 hp made all the straight cut gear noises you want from any type of race vehicle.
True I think the all out race cars will create some wild noises. So not all will be lost.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
Buddy of mine ran in the Jaguar I-pace series and the sounds were downright comical. Same with Formula-E. There really is no soul in it and whoever scoffs at the lack of soul comments can't possibly be real car enthusiasts.

There is no doubt that this Plaid is impressive with what its doing from a tech standpoint but speaking for myself, I'd be bored after 3 laps
Yeah especially for spectators. As a spectator you're already not getting the feeling of g forces and the control of the car. Now you lose sound (unless you get the gear whine), and all of a sudden the only damn sense you're using is site. The more sense involved in an activity the more enjoyable it is IMO.

As far as driving, there's something special about touching the gas pedal and getting sound. Real sound. Not fake. Some people may not get it, and that's fine. But it's magical for those that can embrace it.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
Sounds...

Better than silent. Multiple times worse than a screaming Lambo V10, Coyote V8, Turbo Honda etc etc etc. It'll be a downgrade once they go all electric. My hope is most of the top racing series will go heavy into hybrid. So we'll get the combustion engine sound, but a heavy electric presence in the drivetrain as well. Many already do this, and I think it's a good compromise.

WEC is already talking about a hydrogen Le Mans Prototype class in a few years. They and everyone else knows electric is seriously far away from being able to compete at a high level, for 4, 12, 24 hours, so they're going a different route. It'll be interesting to see how everything plays out.

Every time I've been to a new race series, Indy500, Road Atlanta Petit Le Mans, Bristol Night race, Top Fuels, the SOUND is what draws me in, makes me FOCUS on wtf is happening in front of me, and what creates the long lasting memories for years to come. As a spectator, it will simply be a major downgrade. It just is what it is.

blk02edge

Established Member
I want to see those brake pads and tires after that lap. You can probably get 1 lap out of it lol.
Yea, it certainly will be a one lap wonder for a while, weight is a true enemy. Tires would likely be greased to hell after that one lap..

Put that thing on a less power dependant track and it will fall hard.

ajaf1656

Established Member
I don't watch much car racing, but in MotoGP, the electric bikes' qualifying times were about 2-3 seconds slower than the 250cc Moto3 bikes at Misano. That's about 12 seconds slower than the MotoGP (1000cc) bikes' qualifying times. They only ran 7 laps compared to the 23 laps run by Moto3. Oh and in 2019 they lost the entire MotoE grid when all the bikes caught fire in their storage/ charging paddock.
Hopefully the technology keeps advancing.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member

I know someone who brought there Tesla to the track and it was nearly out of battery 15min in and it was fully charged when it started. By the time the session was over, the battery was overheated.

Users who are viewing this thread