T-56 Update

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Sorry to hear about the pinion seal Oliver. I got lucky, mine went together fairly easy.

The 2.66 gear isn't bad if you have gears. I can still punch it from a low rpm in first and smoke the tires with my 4.10's.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
Sorry to hear about the pinion seal Oliver. I got lucky, mine went together fairly easy.

The 2.66 gear isn't bad if you have gears. I can still punch it from a low rpm in first and smoke the tires with my 4.10's.

how did you install it?

i used a 2 1/4 inch socket. It kept wanting to go in crooked. I ventured a guess that it might have been for an IRS and was therefore a tiny bit too big.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
quadcammer said:
how did you install it?

i used a 2 1/4 inch socket. It kept wanting to go in crooked. I ventured a guess that it might have been for an IRS and was therefore a tiny bit too big.

I took a big ass socket and beat it in with a hammer. Took a few blows but it finally popped in. Funny thing is the old pinion flange I just yanked off, but the 03 with the new seal required a hammer and socket to get seated. Showed me how wore out the old seal was.

Quadcammer

Established Member
ok, on some bumps im getting a scraping noise. Im assuming this is the tab hitting the body.

I cannot seem to find this thing.

can anybody snap a pic of where this is? or at least a better description.

matt888

Established Member
I didn't have to remove any darn tab off of my T-56. That said, I believe they're talking about the tab that holds the tranny vent tube on the passenger side. It runs along the side of the tranny and up towards the bellhousing where it clips into a metal tab. Here's an old pic before it went in. There's a tab that this tube sits in that is located on a bellhousing bolt. This is the only area that even got close to touching in my car :shrug:
31421.jpg

Last edited:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
No, it's not the vent tube bracket. There is an round aluminum tab about midway up the bellhousing on the passenger side. If I remember correctly it has a hole through the center. That's what was hitting on my car.

Quadcammer

Established Member
the vent tube is a fairly sturdy plastic. I could not get that bolt in with the vent tube bracket. Therefore, I said F it, and removed the bracket. it may move around, but it shouldn't spill fluid.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I believe it was on the bellhousing but it's been a long time since I did it so I'm not sure. If it's hitting it should be pretty noticeable.

But mine also rubbed slightly right in front of the shifter. You might want to check there also.

Quadcammer

Established Member
i found where its hitting and its very tight in there. Oh well, if it scrapes it scrapes no big thing. if it gets too annoying I'll fix it but not right now.

As for the pinion seal, it seems I have some luck because its dry under there.

Therefore, i consider this install a success.

Quadcammer

Established Member
the gates are very tight and the shifter is awesome.

still not 100% sure im in the correct gear some times but its getting much better as i get more confident with it.

I haven't beat on it yet since its new, but i like the gearing a lot.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I like the gearing also. Alot of people criticize it because of the 2.66 1st gear but the close ratios more than make up for it.

In my experience there is no better combo then a T56 and MGW shifter.

Users who are viewing this thread