T-56 Update

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
My custom DS is done and should be pretty amazing.

Im having some one pick it up in an hour or so.

I should have it up and running tomorrow.

matt888

Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
Maybe you need to hit the weight room:-D Mine is more diffcult than normal but not even close to what I consider hard. My G/F won't drive my car (even though she has a 99 GT 5 speed) so I don't have to worry about that.

Oliver you must be taking your time. I had mine swapped in about 4 hours.

I knew that was coming you jackass! :p

Quadcammer

Established Member
well to continue my string of bad luck, my DS has the 03 cobra size pinion yoke.

I hope somebody makes a SRA pinion yoke that will fit 1350 u-joints.

matt888

Established Member
I hear ya man. I went with an 04 cobra dirveshaft, so I needed an 04 cobra flange for the rear IRS. When I popped off the 99 flange and replaced it, I now have a nice little whine down around 25 mph. I have a new pinion crush sleeve and pinion seal sitting on my bench, but I want to make sure I install it correctly. I've read many threads on how your just suppose to slightly crush the sleeve, but my pinion nut has alot of resistance going on the pinion, so I'll never be able to tell at what point I've crushed the pinion sleeve? :shrug: I've got an 03 pumpkin on it's way and I'll probably just take that into a reputable shop and have them square it away with 4.10s and then just pop it in down the road...

Bottom line is that IN THEORY a T-56 swap is easy, but depending on which route you choose to go during the install, it can be a beeeyatch! My car was up on jack stands for like 2-3 weeks because of running into different issues. Still, it's way worth the trouble! :burnout:

Quadcammer

Established Member
solenoid switch is in, wired, and works great. Goes into reverse without a problem with the switch installed.

exhaust is tight as well.

Now all thats left is the DS and some adjusting of the clutch cable.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
matt888 said:
I knew that was coming you jackass! :p

You set yourself up for it, I couldn't pass it up :)

I just had to pull my tranny. Damn TOB was making all kinds of noise, not sure how it stayed together considering the play it had. Anyways, got everything out, tranny, clutch and flywheel, and call every place in town to find out no one who can resurface a flywheel works on Saturdays. So now I have to wait until Monday to get it resurfaced and put it back in Monday night after work :cuss:

matt888

Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
You set yourself up for it, I couldn't pass it up :)

I just had to pull my tranny. Damn TOB was making all kinds of noise, not sure how it stayed together considering the play it had. Anyways, got everything out, tranny, clutch and flywheel, and call every place in town to find out no one who can resurface a flywheel works on Saturdays. So now I have to wait until Monday to get it resurfaced and put it back in Monday night after work :cuss:

Dude, get the LDC clutch freeplay adjustment kit if you're having TOB issues. Keeps pressure on the TOB so it doesn't wear out.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I've had the LDC kit for awhile. It was a cheap Spec TOB that just wore out. Bought a Ford unit to go back in with the spec clutch.

stradt03

Established Member
are centerforce TOBs any good?
and
I have a Spec Stage 3 on my T-3650, can someone confirm that all I will need for the swap is a 26-spline clutch disc since I have the 26-spline input shaft? Can I reuse the same pressure plate?

i'll be making my swap within the next few weeks and I want to make sure I have all the required parts to make this go as smooth as possible.

thanks guys,
Jason

stradt03

Established Member
oli, what are you using for a shift knob, or are you reusing your 5spd one? I picked up a 03 knob from a guy on here for like $20 shipped, I also looked at the 00 R knob but those were a lil more $$

J

Quadcammer

Established Member
well, it looks like im swapping my pinion flange. oh well, no biggie.

J, I got the 03 knob for 29 from buyfordracing.com.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Damn, looks like I'm gonna have to swap in a 6-speed now too, since I just found out how cheap you can get a Viper-spec for from RPM. So is it ready to roll after you swap the pinion-flange?

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
RippinSVT said:
Damn, looks like I'm gonna have to swap in a 6-speed now too, since I just found out how cheap you can get a Viper-spec for from RPM. So is it ready to roll after you swap the pinion-flange?

Whats cheap? And where is their dang website?!?!

CY98Cobra

Established Member
quadcammer said:
well, it looks like im swapping my pinion flange. oh well, no biggie.

J, I got the 03 knob for 29 from buyfordracing.com.

I finally put in the 03 pinion flange I've had lying around. Very easy, took about 20 mins.

Quadcammer

Established Member
Josh, what size is the pinion nut? I don't have the socket. My old one was loose enough that I could remove it with channel locks :eek:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
The pinion nut is either 1 1/16" or 1 1/8", can't remember exactly. Mine was also very loose and I think it's what was causing my rear end to whine slightly. Changed the seal and tightened the new flange to 140 ft. lbs. and the whine is gone.

Stradt, The 03 uses a bigger driveshaft and yokes. The 03 flange fits the bigger yokes and is stronger than previous years.

Users who are viewing this thread