T-56 Update

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Tranny came in yesterday, along with the Cmember (Thanks Cy98)
Bolted up the bellhousing (pita because the dowels are so tight with the paint they put on the tranny)
starter, and clutch cable are in.

about to hoist the tranny into place.

Quadcammer

Established Member
where do i Have to clearance the tranny tunnel on the passenger side?

thanks again

CY98Cobra

Established Member
There is a tab that sticks off the bellhousing on the passenger side that would rub. I had to expand slightly there right in front of the shifter. I'm not sure if you have to on the 99+ so I would check first if you can.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I thought I was the only one that tab had *******-e-d with...
That tab is sitting out in my garage on a shelf, it served no purpose that I could see and I had to choose either more hammer to the tranny tunnel or hacksaw to the tab... the tab lost.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
That tab got me for sure. I already had the damn tranny in and done when I heard it hitting. Wasn't going to remove the tranny to get it so I took a prybar and hammer and "massaged" the tunnel there:D

Quadcammer

Established Member
well, even with a large floor jack, im having difficulties getting this sucker in. it keeps wanting to roll over and doing it by myself makes it hard to control.

any tips.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Give me a half hour Ill come over and help!!!

haha

Get another set of hands there to help thats the best tip I can give.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I had a friend helping but I also used a tranny jack (on a lift) that had chains for holding the tranny still.

Best bet is a friend to help out. Being on your back makes it even more difficult.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I did mine on a lift but we were still stuck on our backs with a floor jack G---D--- heavy assed T56

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Been there, installed that. Only it was a 46re outta my Dodge Ram. Autos are heavy bastages that's for sure, I just wish the T56 was lighter.

matt888

Established Member
Yes, jacking up the engine is a great way to help line it up, BUT be very careful not to put too much stress on those motor mounts! Maybe loosen the nuts up on them a bit. I believe that is what caused my motor mount to ultimately fail! Also, if you can get the $40 tranny jack that harbor freight sells you'll be pleased because you can bank that jack and get it to line up with the bellhousing perfectly. I love my T-56! It's the shiznit! :pepper: :rockon: :pepper: :banana:

Quadcammer

Established Member
well i got it in with a big floor jack and my gf's help. How did you guys get the top bolt (the one where the vent bolts to) in with the tranny on the dowels? Its incredibly tight.

Aside from that there should be no issues.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
quadcammer said:
well i got it in with a big floor jack and my gf's help. How did you guys get the top bolt (the one where the vent bolts to) in with the tranny on the dowels? Its incredibly tight.

Aside from that there should be no issues.

the one toward the passenger side? it took about 20 minutes of cursing and fumbling, but got it started, then used about 2 feet of extensions to tighten it...LOL

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
quick01snake said:
the one toward the passenger side? it took about 20 minutes of cursing and fumbling, but got it started, then used about 2 feet of extensions to tighten it...LOL

I made the guy with the smallest hands do it.

Users who are viewing this thread