T-56 Update

stradt03

Established Member
uh oh, am i going to have to change it as well? I'm using a shortened DS out of a 01GT since I have a 01 GT solid rear.

thanks
Jason

CY98Cobra

Established Member
stradt03 said:
uh oh, am i going to have to change it as well? I'm using a shortened DS out of a 01GT since I have a 01 GT solid rear.

thanks
Jason

You don't have too. You can buy a u-joint that will mate the larger 03 shaft/yokes to the smaller driveshafts, but the 03 u-joints are going to be stronger because they are larger.

If you want the u-joint that enables you to attach the different pieces it's a precision u-joint #448. You can get them from summit.

stradt03

Established Member
I couldn't find the U-Joint at summit, i found #248 and 348 but no 448 :(

Oli, were your bellhousing bolts a b!tch to get undone? The black paint on the tranny basically fused the bolts, I had to have two roommates hold the tranny down while I stood on the ratchet to break them loose.....nasty.

stradt03

Established Member
here it is....

Picture 032.jpg

Picture 033.jpg

Picture 034.jpg

Picture 035.jpg

stradt03

Established Member
well he did it for $175, so i said why not. I think just the shaft itself costs around $215.

ok here is what I have so far:

tranny
D/S (shortened 1")
crossmember
26-spline clutch disc
tri-ax

what am I missing?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
harness is a parts store thing.

why don't you like the mgw? you are the first person who doesn't like it in my experience.

stradt03

Established Member
i drove a 01 with it and it just felt odd to me, for some reason the handle just didn't fit my hand/arm well. Tri-ax works comfortably, ah well no biggie.

questions for you though, do you think the 2.66 first will make our cars sluggish? I thought we had gotten the 2.97 first but i guess not. This has me somewhat concerned :(

J

Quadcammer

Established Member
i have the 2.97 first gear.

anyways.

after a huge bitch named the pinion seal, I got everything in and bolted up. Getting fluid back into the rear was a huge messy pain in the ass.

anyways, the car fired right up and went into gear no problem. It was still on stands so no driving impressions, but everything seems good.

Quadcammer

Established Member
oh?

hang on, let me check my email.

got the car down and drove it around a bit. Runs real nice and is much quieter than the t45. My only worry right now is the pinion seal. Im getting some drips of fluid, which may be just residual fluid dripping off the diff or could be a leak.

chuckstang

Established Member
can the 266 first gear tranny t56 handle more power and abuse then the 00 R spec 297 first gear ratio t56?
hope that made sense
anotherwords, is the only difference the gear ratios?

Quadcammer

Established Member
i think the R tranny had a 26 spline input, but im not sure.

my car is pretty much set. however, due to my hacking up of the pinion seal, its leaking still. Gayness. Anyway, i might just drop it off at a shop during the week and let them take care of it if its still leaking.

Users who are viewing this thread