SYNC Update Available

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
So update or don't update? Update to glitchy or is it worth it?
I had glitchy Bluetooth performance before the update. I have glitchy Bluetooth performance after the update.

For me, there was no change in the system's performance, features, or stability. It didn't help anything and neither did it hurt anything.

little-dw

Established Member
I had glitchy Bluetooth performance before the update. I have glitchy Bluetooth performance after the update.

For me, there was no change in the system's performance, features, or stability. It didn't help anything and neither did it hurt anything.

+1

I have glitchy Bluetooth since day one. before and after updates.

sometimes my phone is fully compatible. IE i can use the NAV to text/compose/turn off text notification..other times, I try do do this it will say my phone is not compatible, butyet still play media (and yes this is stopped and not moviing, but works while moving)

the text display for the metadata of songs are not always correct, but i dont care anymore

guess we will see when the next update comes whats going to be said to work better or fixed

Breitling

Established Member

*Knocks on wood* I've never had the Bluetooth glitch like you describe. Does it just cut out or something?

paluka21

Established Member
*Knocks on wood* I've never had the Bluetooth glitch like you describe. Does it just cut out or something?

Mine has been spot on as well. Only issue I've ever had (maybe user error) was it doesn't want to end a conversation/hang up, so I have to do it on my phone.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Update for me is much worse. Non- Nav. 14 Vert. Before the update.
I would start the car, turn on the radio and the Sync would pair seamlessly with my I Phone. Music worked from the Phone thru Bluetooth. The song name did not come up on the screen. Had the car in for service, mentioned the New Update, Tech, who is a friend, said he would add it, and he did.

Had to re-pair the phone, with help. Now I start the car and nothing works, Phone flashes on the screen, I try turning on the radio, nothing for a minute, then it plays for about 30 seconds, and it says, Phone has paired and 911 assist is off. What is 911 assist? Bluetooth Music from the phone usually shows on the dash screen, when it works or isn't stuck in pause mode. Sent several e-mails and PM's to the person on here that works with the electronics, not Deysha. Never heard anything.... Anyone else see this?? Thanx

michaeljtrent

Established Member
Had to re-pair the phone, with help. Now I start the car and nothing works, Phone flashes on the screen, I try turning on the radio, nothing for a minute, then it plays for about 30 seconds, and it says, Phone has paired and 911 assist is off. What is 911 assist? Bluetooth Music from the phone usually shows on the dash screen, when it works or isn't stuck in pause mode. Sent several e-mails and PM's to the person on here that works with the electronics, not Deysha. Never heard anything.... Anyone else see this?? Thanx

Can't say I've had any of these issues. Again, I don't use an IPhone, but I had one previously and it worked fine (this was before the update).

I believe 911 assist is so if you get in an accident, the car will trigger the phone to dial 911 for you. Not sure how it determines an accident. Maybe airbag deployment or something similar.

Sounds like some of the issues may be with the phones and not the Sync, since everyone has the same version of the update but not everyone has the same phone/operating system.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Does it just cut out or something?
No. It randomly refuses to recognize the presence of Pandora on my phone or, if it is recognized, I can't "Thumb Up/Down" anything. The problems are most prevalent if I shut it off with something other than the radio playing, so I generally try to revert to radio before shutting down.

I would start the car, turn on the radio and the Sync would pair seamlessly with my I Phone. Music worked from the Phone thru Bluetooth. The song name did not come up on the screen. Had the car in for service, mentioned the New Update, Tech, who is a friend, said he would add it, and he did.

I've run two different Android phones, but no iPhones. Problems have been similar with both phones. Though not as bad as you describe, 911 Assist sometimes doesn't work, Vehicle Reports almost never work, and Pandora is flaky (as described above).

FordIVTteam

Established Member

Hi Ray Lucca,

If you sent me a PM, I apologize for not answering, but I never received it. When you get a chance, please perform a master reset:

PHONE > Scroll to SYSTEM SETTINGS > OK > Scroll to ADVANCED > OK > Scroll to MASTER RESET > OK

If that doesn't resolve your issues, shoot me a PM with your VIN and I'll take a look.

Rebecca

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
Hi Ray Lucca,

If you sent me a PM, I apologize for not answering, but I never received it. When you get a chance, please perform a master reset:

PHONE > Scroll to SYSTEM SETTINGS > OK > Scroll to ADVANCED > OK > Scroll to MASTER RESET > OK

If that doesn't resolve your issues, shoot me a PM with your VIN and I'll take a look.

Rebecca

Rebecca call your brethren (or sisters) over at Lincoln and look into my case. SYNC doesn't work on my 2011 Lincoln MKS after its first software upgrade nor my 2014 Mustang Shelby GT from when I first got it when you try to use BTST to play music.

When I first got the Lincoln, I could play songs from my iphone to BTST and when I'd stop and get out, it would re-connect and start playing where it left off. Once I did the upgrade, that quit. It always reverts back to LINE IN when you shut the car off. The 2014 GT 500 does the same thing from the very first day I bought it.

I am an engineer and I gave them copious detail as to what happened, but nothing never was done about it. When I get my new Shelby GT 500, it does the EXACT same thing the Lincoln did after my first upgrade on the Lincoln, so I said screw it and have not even tried to use it.--that's how frustrating SYNC is to me!

The problem is that once you shut the car off, that when you turn it back on in BTST mode, the system is not giving itself time enough to re-pair with the phone.

I will bet $100 as an engineer, that someone removed a line of code that had a delay in it for that specific reason. I have sat and watch mine come right back up in BTST for a moment, then revert to line-in when it can't find the phone. That tells me it lost its ability to wait until the phone was re-paired. A few seconds later the phone re-connects and I can use BTST if I select it.

Someone needs to go look at the code before and after the revisions and see what changed---and look for this delay time change or removal.

I will PM you my VIN so you can see the horror story behind my efforts to get this crap fixed 3 years ago!

Thx,

Mike

Last edited:

paluka21

Established Member
I will bet $100 as an engineer, that someone removed a line of code that had a delay in it for that specific reason.

Someone needs to go look at the code before and after the revisions and see what changed---and look for this delay time change or removal.

Such as : sleep 30 :rolling:

David Neibert

Established Member
While I had mine at the Ford dealer for an oil change earlier today, I asked them to update the SYNC and they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. Told them there was a new update recently released to improve bluetooth connectivity and some other stuff. After confirming there was indeed an update, two different techs tried installing the update and failed. If they failed I'm not feeling great about my chances of doing it.

David

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member

Is it safe to assume you recommend this approach for the rest of us as well? If not, what do you recommend?

The problem is that once you shut the car off, that when you turn it back on in BTST mode, the system is not giving itself time enough to re-pair with the phone.

I will bet $100 as an engineer, that someone removed a line of code that had a delay in it for that specific reason. I have sat and watch mine come right back up in BTST for a moment, then revert to line-in when it can't find the phone. That tells me it lost its ability to wait until the phone was re-paired. A few seconds later the phone re-connects and I can use BTST if I select it.
Great observation! This tracks with what I've seen as well. As a fellow engineer, your recommendation makes a lot of sense to me.

Better yet, C:\ format *.*
Good point!

While I had mine at the Ford dealer for an oil change earlier today, I asked them to update the SYNC and they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. Told them there was a new update recently released to improve bluetooth connectivity and some other stuff. After confirming there was indeed an update, two different techs tried installing the update and failed. If they failed I'm not feeling great about my chances of doing it.
You're not giving yourself enough credit - The update is NOT hard to install. Unfortunately, many of the dealership techs I've seen aren't particularly gifted.

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
Rebecca, it seems I can't send you a PM so I will answer your questions here:

1. No I have not tried to update either the MKS or the GT500.

2. 2012 was the last time I tried to get this resolved. I grew very frustrated at the people I was dealing with not understanding this issue. One thing that really got on my nerves was the fact I was told it was "impossible" to roll back the software to a previous rev. I'm an engineer; I know computers all too well. I told them that all that had to be done was to erase an EEPROM or delete a program on a hard drive and then reprogram or reload. I really think this should be an option when you get a bug that really annoys you is to be allowed to roll back to a previous rev of software.

3. I will wait until the BTST deal is fixed before I do any upgrades. BTW, it is only the BTST that reverts back to LINE IN. If the unit is in LINE IN or USB it will stay in those modes until you change it. Right now mine is in USB mode and I have about 2000+ mp3's on a memory stick in the USB. That works pretty much perfect all the time.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Hi Ray Lucca,

Rebecca

Followed these steps a couple of nights ago. ZERO change in Sync's performance, or lack thereof. Bluetooth is just as flaky now as was before.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
I spent almost an hour on the phone with the very patient young lady from the Ford IVT Team. Overall I think things are slightly better.
Here is the story: Confirmed I had the 4.4 update installed, did the master reset and changed a few other things she suggested. Re paired my I 6 Phone running 8.3. Bluetooth phone kicked in and worked, apparently she turned on 911 assist because it doesn't tell me it's not connected anymore. [I guess Big Brother is watching over me, not sure I like that]. When I start the car if I had left the stereo on it immediately starts playing [good], for about 20 seconds, goes blank and "phon" pops up on the screen. No matter how long I wait, no stereo. I then hit one of the stereo buttons and it plays. It USED to pair seamlessly.
If I turn the stereo off before turning off the car when I start it's dead for 30 seconds, even when turning on the stereo immediately, then "phon" pops up, then if I click the button again I hear the stereo. Tried Bluetooh audio from my phone once, it worked and showed the songs on my dash screen, good. Is that how everyone's works??
BTW, my 04 Acura TL with first gen. Bluetooth still works perfectly, and paired my I 6 in 45 seconds. No hiccups when I start, "it just works"...
BTW, the lady at the I team said there is a newer Sync update available, 4.5. the web-site says 4.4 is the newest, I don't know...... I was worn out by then and didn't try.... Thanx

Last edited:

1stShelby

Established Member
Don't know if it is related, but my voice command failed today. Phone connected automatically when I started the car and 5 minutes later it disconnected while I was driving. Tried using voice command and the car no longer hears me. Just tried to re-pair my phone and Sync doesn't recognize my phone. Installed this update a month or so ago and have had no issues up till now.

gpetry

I have a 14 GT500 Convertible with Nav. Version installed according to Sync site is 4.2.1.T Site says I am up to date and there are no updates?

Users who are viewing this thread