SYNC Update Available

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Try reformatting in ExFat, it is an improved version of Fat32 that is used on flash drives. If that fails, find a friend with a PC and get him or her to format the drive in Fat32.

Exfat didn't work, dug out my old desktop and reformatted it in Fat32 and I got "Unrecognized Device" so…I give up. lol

michaeljtrent

Established Member
Exfat didn't work, dug out my old desktop and reformatted it in Fat32 and I got "Unrecognized Device" so…I give up. lol

Well if you feel like trying again, there should be an option on the format screen for NTFS. It should also work.

I would probably use a different USB if you have one. One that hasn't been infected by the Mac plague :-D

Snoopy49

Established Member
I would probably use a different USB if you have one

I tried an older USB flash drive and I got the same results. Formatted a newer driver in FAT32 and the system accepted it. The sync operating system cannot recognize the NTFS format.

michaeljtrent

Established Member
The sync operating system cannot recognize the NTFS format.

I grabbed one from my office formatted in NTFS when I updated mine on the drive home. Sync saw it just fine.

Edit: Scratch that. I just checked the drive I used and it is FAT. Could have sworn I grabbed the other one. Oh well. Stick with Fat32 :)

Last edited:

Rotarur

Loflyr
Established Member
Any of you who did this latest update use a sync lockpick? Does the new version affect the lockpick functionality?

BCPD199

Established Member
I finally got the update to install. Now, while listening to Bluetooth audio, I can now see the track information. But, after cycling the ignition, it still reverts back to "Line In". It's almost as if it's not discovering the phone quick enough.

Anybody else's do this as well?

little-dw

Established Member
I finally got the update to install. Now, while listening to Bluetooth audio, I can now see the track information. But, after cycling the ignition, it still reverts back to "Line In". It's almost as if it's not discovering the phone quick enough.

same thing here. thought it was fixed but no go

i can unpair my phone power cycle the car and resynce my phone...everything works fine. once you get out, go in the store come back and get back in, its all over. reverts back to line in, majority of the time the text messaging part says its not compatible with my phone which it works fine on first pair.

oh well this car gets drover once a week if that, so i can live with it.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
I took my Stock '14 in for the accelerator not working intermittently,and asked the Tech to check for the Sync update. There was one and he installed it. [BTW, I am in awe of you guys doing this on your own. I'm so old I can't cut and paste or do a photo here, brain doesn't compute]. Had to re-pair my I Phone 6, [with help], I already had the 8.3 Update on the Phone. Seemed sluggish, stopped and started and it started working. Songs came up on the car screen and I Phone Screen when playing Bluetooth Audio. Will check it out this week-end, I do know it connects much slower, and seems sluggish in comparison.

BCPD199

Established Member
same thing here. thought it was fixed but no go

i can unpair my phone power cycle the car and resynce my phone...everything works fine. once you get out, go in the store come back and get back in, its all over. reverts back to line in, majority of the time the text messaging part says its not compatible with my phone which it works fine on first pair.

Thanks. At least I know it's just not mine. Mine's a daily driver and I'm used to hitting the line in button to change it over, so, no biggie. It would be nice if it was fixed, though.

michaeljtrent

Established Member
Thanks. At least I know it's just not mine. Mine's a daily driver and I'm used to hitting the line in button to change it over, so, no biggie. It would be nice if it was fixed, though.

Same here. It's always done that so it doesn't really bother me either.

If I were to guess, I would assume that the system boots up and detects the available hardware connections (Aux in, USB, etc) like a BIOS before it does the Bluetooth, so the system defaults to line-in because it doesn't know anything else is there until the Bluetooth antenna comes online and syncs with your phone.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I had a similar problem with my 13 except it would always come up in the AM mode rather than USB. This was after the update. I decided to reinstall the update and now it works as advertised. In my case , I think it was a bad install even though it was reported as a successful install to Ford. On my second install I used a battery charger as a backup source of power and didn't start the engine.

BlueAngel2014

Established Member

Yes. I had this crap start on my Lincoln MKS when I did the very first SYNC update several years ago. I raised all sorts of hell with Ford about it and they never fixed it or gave me a reason why it started doing this shit. I asked to speak directly with engineering so I could tell them what was WRONG with the program. It is what you describe. It does not give the phone time enough to re-connect before resorting to switching to line-in. My guess is there was a line of code with a 10 second delay in it and someone decided to make the code more efficient by removing this 10 second delay!

The funny thing is that when I bought my Lincoln MKS, it worked perfectly.
You could stop, get out, come back, and BTST would come right back on and it would start playing where it left off. After that first upgrade, it went to shit and has never come back regardless of the dealer installing new software or me updating it. I asked Ford to roll back the software and they said that was impossible. I told them they were full of shit as I had cloned hard drives before a software upgrade and if a software install went south, we simply swapped the drives. I told them not to jack around with me because I am an electrical engineer and know a little bit about computers and electronics. They still said the software couldn't be rolled back and again I told them over the phone: bullshit. I said an EEPROM can be totally erased and reprogrammed! BTW, we do that everytime we load a new tune into the PCM for the engine.

I simply gave up on it and SYNC all together. When I got the 2014 GT and saw it had the same system, I tried the BTST route and got the same results and I said screw it and have never used it on my car.

Let me tell you how I fixed the problem. I went and bought a 64GB memory stick. Loaded all my mp3s on it, plugged it into the USB port and play them all through USB instead of BTST. As soon as I saw the 2014 GT had the same shit software I got another 64G stick, copied my mp3s to it and set it to USB and never looked back.

Thanks for the information, I was hoping this rev had fixed it. I won't bother to do the upgrade on neither my MKS or the GT500 that has this system.

This is what Ford gets for using Microsoft rather than going with Apple and getting something that works. JMHO but my iphone always works as well as my Mac and I don't have to screw and fiddle around with it like I do microsoft products.

Last edited:

nsstang

Nasty Style
Established Member
Any one done this with the nav? I dont know what a AUX button is. I tried this once and I'm having issues with my bluetooth now I cant detect my iphone.

Also when I did it my phone was still saved and all my information was still there but I recieved the xml file on the thumb drive.

michaeljtrent

Established Member
Any one done this with the nav? I dont know what a AUX button is. I tried this once and I'm having issues with my bluetooth now I cant detect my iphone.

Also when I did it my phone was still saved and all my information was still there but I recieved the xml file on the thumb drive.

My car has the nav and it updated fine with one hitch. Once it was updated, pretty much nothing worked until I power cycled the unit (key off/door open). Once it came back up, every thing seemed to be back to normal. I have an Android though so I can't comment on its functionality with iOS. If it isn't recognizing your phone, you may want to just tell both the radio and your phone to un-pair, then just redo the setup like you have a new phone.

The AUX option is under Media. It is for the RCA hookups (mine are in the center console). It's just an option for an auxiliary input.

Last edited:

nsstang

Nasty Style
Established Member
I tried to install it again and it says the installation failed or is not compatible with this version.

My question, is How do i wipe the whole unit and start fresh? And how do I check to verify my version is correct?

I have the battery disconnected at the moment but I feel that wont wipe the unit.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
My car has the nav and it updated fine with one hitch. Once it was updated, pretty much nothing worked until I power cycled the unit (key off/door open). Once it came back up, every thing seemed to be back to normal. I have an Android though so I can't comment on its functionality with iOS. If it isn't recognizing your phone, you may want to just tell both the radio and your phone to un-pair, then just redo the setup like you have a new phone.
+1.

My question, is How do i wipe the whole unit and start fresh? And how do I check to verify my version is correct?

I have the battery disconnected at the moment but I feel that wont wipe the unit.
I'm not aware of any way to "wipe the whole unit and start fresh." Your version number should be available via Media -> Settings -> System Information. FWIW, mine showed "DR3T-14D544-AD" (which corresponded to the system's original v4.1.3) before the update and "DR3T-14D544-AF" (which corresponds to v4.4) after the update. Disconnecting the battery isn't going to wipe the unit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread