SYNC Update Available

little-dw

Established Member
I was just reading around and saw that there was an update available for SYNC on my 2014 GT500. Checked the FORD website, and sure enough, Update Available. So I figured I would share the details

Code:
What's included in this update?

DL3T-14D544-AE SYNC v4.4

[U]Bluetooth© Connectivity Improvements:[/U]
Enhanced Bluetooth phone connection stability
Enabled track information to be displayed for Bluetooth-streamed media including metadata such as song title, artist name and album title
More robust Message Access Profile (MAP) functionality to handle SMS reception and Text2Speach output

[U]Media Connectivity Improvements:[/U]
Improved media connectivity for USB-equipped Apple devices, as well as streamlined device initialization and authentication process
Previous USB or Bluetooth media source playback now resumed after ignition cycle

[U]AppLink Functionality Improvements:[/U]
Better AppLink customer experience with more robust features and reliable functionality
2010-2013 Basic SYNC and SYNC with MyFord (without Voice-Activated Navigation)
The v4.4 software update will add AppLink, in addition to improved quality updates, for 2010-2013 model year customers without Voice-Activated Navigation (who do not already have AppLink).

2010-2014 SYNC with Voice-Activated Navigation
This software will provide improved quality updates only for 2010-2014 model year customers who have Voice-Activated Navigation.

I will be doing this this evening. I am pretty stoked about the bluetooth metadata part. This has been buggin me since I bought the car as all I use is bluetooth media from my phone :D

Last edited:

little-dw

Established Member
Is there any cost out of pocket for said update?

just the time to download update, copy to usb and update your car ...thats how the first update went for me at the factory. watched the guy download it, copy to a usb drive and plug into my car and it updated while we did paperwork

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I updated mine to 4.4 about a month ago. I couldn't really tell any difference.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Hook a battery charger up to your battery when you do the update and you won't have to run your engine for 30 minutes. The key must be in the run position when you do the update.

little-dw

Established Member
I updated mine to 4.4 about a month ago. I couldn't really tell any difference.

I wish they would update the interface. it seems a little blah compared to other vehicle's SYNC software. That would be a good update. like maybe one background picture to cover the whole screen instead of two. simple and small things

C0bra99

Established Member
FJ5T-14D544-AB
Bluetooth© Connectivity Improvements:
Enabled track information to be displayed for Bluetooth-streamed media including metadata such as song title, artist name and album title
More robust Message Access Profile (MAP) functionality to handle SMS reception and Text2Speach output
Media Connectivity Improvements:
Improved media connectivity for USB-equipped Apple devices, as well as streamlined device initialization and authentication process
Previous USB or Bluetooth media source playback now resumed after ignition cycle
AppLink Functionality Improvements:
Better AppLink customer experience with more robust features and reliable functionality

V4.4 is a software update available for 2010-2014 model year vehicles equipped with Gen1 SYNC. Logging in at: http://owner.ford.com/ is the best way to check if this update is intended for your VIN.

This update includes the following enhancements:

• Enhanced Bluetooth phone connection stability
• Enabled track information to be displayed for Bluetooth-streamed media including metadata such as song title, artist name and album title
• More robust Message Access Profile (MAP) functionality to handle SMS reception and Text2Speech output

• Improved media connectivity for USB-equipped Apple devices, as well as streamlined device initialization and authentication process
• Previous USB or Bluetooth media source playback now resumed after ignition cycle

In order to download the update, make sure you have an empty USB storage drive that can hold at least 2 GB of data and is not password protected. The USB must be formatted to FAT32. Once you’re logged in at: http://owner.ford.com/ click the tab that says SYNC & HOW-TOS, followed by CHECK FOR SOFTWARE UPDATES (under the USEFUL LINKS section). If you see an update available, click DOWNLOAD SYNC UPDATE to begin the download process.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
FJ5T-14D544-AB
AppLink Functionality Improvements:

V4.4 is a software update available for 2010-2014 model year vehicles equipped with Gen1 SYNC. Logging in at: http://owner.ford.com/ is the best way to check if this update is intended for your VIN.

This update includes the following enhancements:

• Enhanced Bluetooth phone connection stability
• Enabled track information to be displayed for Bluetooth-streamed media including metadata such as song title, artist name and album title
• More robust Message Access Profile (MAP) functionality to handle SMS reception and Text2Speech output

• Improved media connectivity for USB-equipped Apple devices, as well as streamlined device initialization and authentication process
• Previous USB or Bluetooth media source playback now resumed after ignition cycle

In order to download the update, make sure you have an empty USB storage drive that can hold at least 2 GB of data and is not password protected. The USB must be formatted to FAT32. Once you’re logged in at: http://owner.ford.com/ click the tab that says SYNC & HOW-TOS, followed by CHECK FOR SOFTWARE UPDATES (under the USEFUL LINKS section). If you see an update available, click DOWNLOAD SYNC UPDATE to begin the download process.

michaeljtrent

Established Member
Anyone know for sure if this can be applied while driving? I have a 30 minute drive home this afternoon from my office. Would be nice to let it run then.

Snoopy49

Established Member
You can do it while your driving, just make sure you don't kill the engine during the drive. Nothing connected to sync will work, including your phone while the update is in progress. You will have to resync any devices you use in the car after the update.

Last edited:

michaeljtrent

Established Member
You can do it while your driving, just make sure you don't kill the engine during the drive. Nothing connected to sync will work, including your phone while the update is in progress. You will have to resync any devices you use in the car after the update.

Much appreciated.

little-dw

Established Member
downloaded update from ford
saved it to the desktop
extracted files and copied to an empty usb drive
cranked car up
inserted usb drive
went to media devices and selected line in until i saw usb
listened to the lady tell me it has detected a new device, blah blah
chose install file and sat back and waited

took maybe 10 minutes, if that

there will be a period where it looks like nothing is happening, but wait until it actually says 'installation complete' on the screen

Snoopy49

Established Member
There are a few things you should do before starting step 1:

o Note any saved Navigation points. You’ll need to re-enter them after the installation is complete

o To perform the following steps, you must first complete the previous procedure: How to download software updates to a USB drive

• Take the USB drive with the software updates to your vehicle. Turn on your vehicle, and then turn on the radio.
Make sure your car is in a well-ventilated area. Your vehicle will need to be turned on, with the engine running between ten and thirty five minutes. Make sure that your vehicle is not in Accessory mode.

• Plug the USB drive in to your vehicle’s USB port.

• Press AUX until you select SYNC Line In. Press OK.

• Press Menu. SYNC Media may display. If it does, press OK.

• Media Menu displays, and then Play Menu appears.

• SYNC USB displays. Press OK.

• USB Selected displays. Press OK.

• Prompts display. Press Seek until Install Applications is highlighted. Press OK.

• SYNC automatically detects the files on your USB drive, and then displays “Install Application?” Press OK to confirm.
SYNC displays “Installing Application” during the process. Do not remove your USB drive or turn off your vehicle while this update is in progress. Shortly after installation has begun, SYNC says “Installation Complete.” Ignore this message. It refers to a specific phase of the installation, not the overall update process. While the update is loading, SYNC will not recognize your mobile phone or media device.
In another approximately 10 minutes (timing may vary per update), SYNC says “Installation Complete.” SYNC may also say, "The system will now reboot. Please wait a few moments before using the system." The system then reboots, which takes several minutes. Do not attempt to use SYNC during this time.

• SYNC prompts “Installation Complete.” Press MENU to exit installation mode. It is now safe to remove your USB drive.

• Once you have installed the SYNC software updates, you’ll need to pair your phone again. To complete the process, take the USB drive to your computer to report the successful installation

Last edited:

twawsico

Established Member
Thanks for letting us know. I gave up on checking that site for updates about a year ago. Having to select Bluetooth as the audio source every time (since it defaults to USB) is a minor inconvenience, so having it stick to the last selected option now will be nice.

RangerDLA

Established Member
Thanks for letting us know. I gave up on checking that site for updates about a year ago. Having to select Bluetooth as the audio source every time (since it defaults to USB) is a minor inconvenience, so having it stick to the last selected option now will be nice.

Amen to that.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I did it two weeks ago. Snoopy nailed it as always. I'll add one note to say the Voice said Sync update conplete, then the screen said it, then about a minute later the voice said it again. So I'd wait a while after the first notification before you pull out the USB drive.

FordIVTteam

Established Member
Hey everyone!

I'm glad to see you're checking your accounts for updates. :)

little-dw and Snoopy49 have provided excellent steps to perform the update (see below), and I just want to jump in and confirm this can be applied while driving and it should only take 10-15 minutes. If anyone has any questions or needs help with it, please don't hesitate to contact Kim and I.

Rebecca

downloaded update from ford
saved it to the desktop
extracted files and copied to an empty usb drive
cranked car up
inserted usb drive
went to media devices and selected line in until i saw usb
listened to the lady tell me it has detected a new device, blah blah
chose install file and sat back and waited

took maybe 10 minutes, if that

there will be a period where it looks like nothing is happening, but wait until it actually says 'installation complete' on the screen

There are a few things you should do before starting step 1:

o Note any saved Navigation points. You’ll need to re-enter them after the installation is complete

o To perform the following steps, you must first complete the previous procedure: How to download software updates to a USB drive

• Take the USB drive with the software updates to your vehicle. Turn on your vehicle, and then turn on the radio.
Make sure your car is in a well-ventilated area. Your vehicle will need to be turned on, with the engine running between ten and thirty five minutes. Make sure that your vehicle is not in Accessory mode.

• Plug the USB drive in to your vehicle’s USB port.

• Press AUX until you select SYNC Line In. Press OK.

• Press Menu. SYNC Media may display. If it does, press OK.

• Media Menu displays, and then Play Menu appears.

• SYNC USB displays. Press OK.

• USB Selected displays. Press OK.

• Prompts display. Press Seek until Install Applications is highlighted. Press OK.

• SYNC automatically detects the files on your USB drive, and then displays “Install Application?” Press OK to confirm.
SYNC displays “Installing Application” during the process. Do not remove your USB drive or turn off your vehicle while this update is in progress. Shortly after installation has begun, SYNC says “Installation Complete.” Ignore this message. It refers to a specific phase of the installation, not the overall update process. While the update is loading, SYNC will not recognize your mobile phone or media device.
In another approximately 10 minutes (timing may vary per update), SYNC says “Installation Complete.” SYNC may also say, "The system will now reboot. Please wait a few moments before using the system." The system then reboots, which takes several minutes. Do not attempt to use SYNC during this time.

• SYNC prompts “Installation Complete.” Press MENU to exit installation mode. It is now safe to remove your USB drive.

• Once you have installed the SYNC software updates, you’ll need to pair your phone again. To complete the process, take the USB drive to your computer to report the successful installation

Users who are viewing this thread