SYNC Update Available

kokodeathcookie

Established Member
How do you run a vehicle health report? I've gone through the instructions, but when I get to the step that says "Press or pull the Voice button and say, "Vehicle Health Report." " it never recognizes that voice command.

Snoopy49

Established Member
If I owned a cell phone with internet access, I would have run a health report just to see what it was all about, but I don't and I didn't.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I'll add one note to say the Voice said Sync update conplete, then the screen said it, then about a minute later the voice said it again. So I'd wait a while after the first notification before you pull out the USB drive.
Good advice BUT, FWIW, I (and several others) never got the second "complete" message despite attempting the install twice. When the installation completes, however, the system uploads a small .XML file to the USB drive. When you log into the SYNC site, it asks you to upload the file confirming "completion". Once I did that, the site confirmed what SYNC already reported (despite never saying "complete" a second time) - System Information version "DR3T-14D544-AF" which, according to the SYNC site, corresponds to v4.4.

Would still be interesting to run one or is there nothing important in them?
I ran one once, and found nothing interesting/important. I suspect that will be the case unless you're not tracking/performing routine maintenance.

Last edited:

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
If I owned a cell phone with internet access, I would have run a health report just to see what it was all about, but I don't and I didn't.

Well you could apply for an Obamaphone and then run a health report and if there was any ill health you could also apply for Obamacare.

You see it's a great country we live in.

Breitling

Established Member
Good advice BUT, FWIW, I (and several others) never got the second "complete" message despite attempting the install twice. When the installation completes, however, the system uploads a small .XML file to the USB drive. When you log into the SYNC site, it asks you to upload the file confirming "completion". Once I did that, the site confirmed what SYNC already reported (despite never saying "complete" a second time) - System Information version "DR3T-14D544-AF" which, according to the SYNC site, corresponds to v4.4.

I ran one once, and found nothing interesting/important. I suspect that will be the case unless you're not tracking/performing routine maintenance.

So I think I did the update correctly as I noticed that the song name and artist is now appearing as I stream music from my iPhone. However, I noticed that my system information version is "DL3T-14D544-AE" which is slightly different than your version. So I'm just curious if I am running the latest version (v4.4)?

Anyone know?

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
So I think I did the update correctly as I noticed that the song name and artist is now appearing as I stream music from my iPhone. However, I noticed that my system information version is "DL3T-14D544-AE" which is slightly different than your version. So I'm just curious if I am running the latest version (v4.4)?
Did your .XML upload confirm completion?

Based on some quick Google searches for each version, it appears they BOTH correspond to SYNC 4.4. Difference between 2013 and 2014 MYs, perhaps?

FWIW, here's a screenshot of what SYNC says my system is running...

Attachments

• SYNC v4.4.jpg
    SYNC v4.4.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 724

Snoopy49

Established Member
I had to reload the update in my system. When I originally installed it, I ran the engine for 30 minutes waiting for the reboot and installation complete messages and checked the version in the system information section and it showed the new version. Then I noticed that when I started the car the radio would always startup in the AM mode and I would have to direct it to the USB. After putting up with that for about a week, I decided to reinstall the update. This time I used a battery charger for a power backup instead of running the engine and dealing with the heat and air pollution. This time the installation completed successfully and everything is working.

I am just glad that the failed installation didn't brick the radio. Just goes to show you, it can show the installation complete and generate the xml files and still have problems.

Doing the installation with the engine running didn't cause the failed installation, I just decided not to go that route on the redo. Should have done that in the first place, it was so much nicer.

FordIVTteam

Established Member

Vehicle Health Report and SYNC Services uses your phone to place a call and the information is transmitted over the call. You don't need to have a data plan or internet on your phone to use these features. :)

Anyone know?

The versions will differ slightly from vehicle to vehicle, but if you run a Vehicle Health Report, it will update your SYNC version on your Owner's account. Here are the instructions:

SYNC with MyFord - http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...ehicle-health-report-with-sync.html?sync=sync

SYNC with Voice-Activated Navigation - http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...ctivated-navigation.html?sync=sync-navigation

Rebecca

michaeljtrent

Established Member
Ran mine last week and it took about 15 minutes. After the reboot, it sat on the phone screen for about 5 minutes with no activity. Tried to press Radio and Media but told me both were unavailable so I pulled out the USB and put it back in. Then told me it was "installing" and immediately told me installation was complete. Still nothing worked. I had to shut the whole car off (door open to kill the radio) and turn it back on to get everything back up and running. Just an FYI for anyone yet to run this.

Honestly, being in IT, I would have been a little shocked if I didn't have to turn the whole thing off and on again to get it to work :lol1:

Breitling

Established Member
Ok, so I uploaded the .XML file to Ford and it says that I'm up to date.

I still need to run the vehicle health report at some point.

WAL

Established Member
There are a few things you should do before starting step 1:

o Note any saved Navigation points. You’ll need to re-enter them after the installation is complete

o To perform the following steps, you must first complete the previous procedure: How to download software updates to a USB drive

• Take the USB drive with the software updates to your vehicle. Turn on your vehicle, and then turn on the radio.
Make sure your car is in a well-ventilated area. Your vehicle will need to be turned on, with the engine running between ten and thirty five minutes. Make sure that your vehicle is not in Accessory mode.

• Plug the USB drive in to your vehicle’s USB port.

• Press AUX until you select SYNC Line In. Press OK.

• Press Menu. SYNC Media may display. If it does, press OK.

• Media Menu displays, and then Play Menu appears.

• SYNC USB displays. Press OK.

• USB Selected displays. Press OK.

• Prompts display. Press Seek until Install Applications is highlighted. Press OK.

• SYNC automatically detects the files on your USB drive, and then displays “Install Application?” Press OK to confirm.
SYNC displays “Installing Application” during the process. Do not remove your USB drive or turn off your vehicle while this update is in progress. Shortly after installation has begun, SYNC says “Installation Complete.” Ignore this message. It refers to a specific phase of the installation, not the overall update process. While the update is loading, SYNC will not recognize your mobile phone or media device.
In another approximately 10 minutes (timing may vary per update), SYNC says “Installation Complete.” SYNC may also say, "The system will now reboot. Please wait a few moments before using the system." The system then reboots, which takes several minutes. Do not attempt to use SYNC during this time.

• SYNC prompts “Installation Complete.” Press MENU to exit installation mode. It is now safe to remove your USB drive.

• Once you have installed the SYNC software updates, you’ll need to pair your phone again. To complete the process, take the USB drive to your computer to report the successful installation

I did the update last night. Unfortunately I followed the instructions I downloaded from Ford's Sync website which stated that after "Installation Complete" appears the second time, "touch OK on the navigation screen, and then press the Menu control......." Well "OK" never appeared so I simply pressed Menu as indicated in the instructions provided by Snoopy. Unfortunately, I wasted a lot of time waiting for "OK" to appear before I pressed Menu and finished the process. (Luckily I used the battery charger instead of running the engine.) Anyway, the update seems to have installed correctly, and thanks to Snoopy.

WAL

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I attempted to do this and I could never get the vehicle to recognize the USB drive. Well, not accurate, it recognized the drive I guess but stated "USB Empty" so I was never able to begin the installation process. Not sure what's up with that. I can take the USB drive back to my computer and open it, and all the files are there, so not sure what's being missed by the vehicle.

michaeljtrent

Established Member
I attempted to do this and I could never get the vehicle to recognize the USB drive. Well, not accurate, it recognized the drive I guess but stated "USB Empty" so I was never able to begin the installation process. Not sure what's up with that. I can take the USB drive back to my computer and open it, and all the files are there, so not sure what's being missed by the vehicle.

Double check the drive is formatted with the proper file system (FAT32 if I remember correctly). You can always just reformat it to make sure. If the file system is wrong, the computer (your car) will have no idea what it is.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Double check the drive is formatted with the proper file system (FAT32 if I remember correctly). You can always just reformat it to make sure. If the file system is wrong, the computer (your car) will have no idea what it is.
I'm on a Mac and my format options are: Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Mac OS (Case-Sensitive, Journaled), MS-DOS (FAT16), and ExFat. The USB was already formatted to the MS-DOS (FAT16).:shrug:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Try reformatting in ExFat, it is an improved version of Fat32 that is used on flash drives. If that fails, find a friend with a PC and get him or her to format the drive in Fat32.

Last edited:

93 347 Cobra

Established Member

I have a non-electronics pack car so I don't know if that makes a difference. I thought it was odd the screen didn't say install complete when the voice first said it so I waited a little longer and the screen changed and the voice said it again. I'll check for that xml file on the drive when I get back from my business trip.

Users who are viewing this thread