SVTPerformance Separation Anxiety : JLT Oil Separator Review

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
SVTPerformance Separation Anxiety : JLT Oil Separator Review

JLT-19-edit.jpg

Modifications. We mod our cars for various reasons. We do it to increase power, enhance driving characteristics, and often to personalize our vehicle’s styling. However, we sometimes have to mod a car in order to resolve a deficient design attribute from the factory. The mod we’re covering here is just such a fix.

For whatever reason, when Ford engineers designed the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (“PCV”) system on the 2011 Mustang (and countless other Ford vehicles) they failed to prevent the aspiration of engine oil into the intake tract of the engine. Oil in the intake creates a sticky black mess which can damage sensors and generally clog parts you’d rather have stay clean. To top it off, the vaporized oil can also lower your fuel’s effective octane rating. Interestingly, only the passenger side PCV on the new Mustangs seems to suffer from the oiling issue. Many have reported that they have not gotten any oil on the driver’s side under even aggressive open track driving conditions.

With a parade of horrors such as that you may be tempted to just remove that couple of inches of plastic hose and call it a day, but you might not want to be so hasty. The PCV system is important for a couple of reasons; it alleviates excess pressure inside the engine’s crankcase, helps lower emissions, and prevents your garage from smelling like a Jiffy-Lube after pulling your Mustang in. Some people simply delete the PCV system and install a breather on the valve cover in its place. However, that would leave you to live with the second two of the three issues mentioned above.

So instead of going that pedestrian route we looked to JLT and one of their nifty JLT Oil Separators. This attractive billet aluminum piece features a removable and washable filter which captures the oil vapors in the crankcase gases and collects and holds them within the vessel, thus preventing them from entering the engine’s intake. All you have to do is then unscrew the catch-can portion of the separator from its base an either dispose of the collected oil or pour it back into the engine.

JLT has made their separator so simple to install that a Camaro driver could probably manage it. You literally just remove the stock tube by depressing the release tangs at each of the connectors and pulling it up and off of the mounts. Then you just literally pop the JLT Oil Separator in its place and you’re finished. You have now made your engine’s life much happier. Just for fun we decided to try out the looks of both anodizing finishes JLT offers, black and clear. The black finish definitely looks more subtle, but we decided to go with the clear, natural finish. It just seemed to dress up things a bit more.

While this may not be the most glamorous mod, it is a handsome piece and serves a very important purpose. I suggest every 2011+ Mustang owner address the PCV oiling issue, and a JLT Oil Separator is an excellent solution to the problem.

Opening a box of mods like it's Christmas.

JLT-33-edit.jpg

These pics should give you an idea of the differences between the two finishes.

JLT-35-edit.jpg

Both finish look fantastic.

JLT-38-edit.jpg

We start by pulling up and loosening the engine cover.

JLT-08-edit.jpg

We then move it slightly to one side to make a little room.

JLT-09-edit.jpg

We then depressed the tangs on stock PCV tube and removed it.

JLT-10-edit.jpg

As you can see JLT uses stock Ford components to assemble their unit.

JLT-12-edit.jpg

The JLT unit installs as simply as the stock one is removed.

JLT-13-edit.jpg

We just had to press end connectors on to the stock PCV connection points.

JLT-14-edit.jpg

Then just a little adjustment....

JLT-16-edit.jpg

And voilà, it's installed.

JLT-17-edit.jpg

And it looks great.

JLT-19-edit.jpg

Looks great from this angle too.

JLT-25-edit.jpg

One more angle.

JLT-26-edit.jpg

As mentioned above, we wanted to see how the black finish looked too.

JLT-48-edit.jpg

Like the clear finish, we have several angles for you.

JLT-56-edit.jpg

Another view.

JLT-54-edit.jpg

This is my favorite shot of the black one.

JLT-53-edit.jpg

This should give you an idea of the difference in the two finishes side-by-side.

JLT-24-edit.jpg
JLT-50-edit.jpg

I really like this pic, so here it is:

JLT-03-edit.jpg

How well does the JLT Oil Separator work you may ask? Check out what it collected after just six 1/4 mile passes and about 750 miles.

JLTwithoil0005-edit.jpg

Any guesses what kind of oil we're running in the SVTP GT?

JLTwithoil0007-edit.jpg

-SID297:beer:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
thank you for all the info on the oil separator, i will defiantly pick one up very soon,
and if i were to guess what oil.... i would say royal purple.

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
"So simple to install that a Camaro driver could probably manage it"... Haha! LMMFAO! As for the oil viscosity... I'm gonna guess 5W-20 maybe?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
"So simple to install that a Camaro driver could probably manage it"... Haha! LMMFAO! As for the oil viscosity... I'm gonna guess 5W-20 maybe?

Close

Good guess, be what type of RP?

Awesome review! :)

The pics were very nice, so many times picture quality is the major thing lacking in product reviews but yours are great. :D

I had a great photographer for most of them, except for the last 2 pics. I took those myself with a point and shoot. For more of the good photographer's work check out this thread:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...87724-svtperformance-mustang-week-2011-a.html

sikryd

Established Member
I love my JLT oil separators on my GT500. Just make sure that you disconnect them completely from the car before attempting to unscrew/screw them together. I was careful the first time, didn't disconnect them, and broke one of the tubes. JLT was quick to send me a repair kit at no cost to myself, real stand up guys there. Don't hesitate to buy these guys, great products that work and look great.

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
Sorry I'm lazy and haven't checked but does the kit for the Terminators come with two separators?

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
You buy each one separately.

Ouch! Whats the price running on these? Just checked Lethal and they don't have this style posted for the 03-04

Edit: Nevermind, I quit being lazy and looked it up on JLT. $119 a piece... Sounds like group buy time!

Last edited:

4v_mach1

Established Member
Picking one up for my mach 1. I can see oil near the hose connecting to the intake and I don't want to know what its like inside.

4v_mach1

Established Member

haha camaro owners just know how to spit out the window like they're cool or something just because they have a vette engine, but they don't realize females are more attracted to mustangs. :thumbsup:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
This has been an issue with GM for years. I have had to run oil separators on all of my LS powered cars (two f-bodies, 08 tahoe and my Z06). My 01 cobra burned oil too, about 1.5 quarts every 3,000 miles, but my 03 didn't burn a drop. My only concern is with the size/construction of this separator, it obviously works to a degree, but just how effective is it? Concerning the construction of catch cans,the internal construction is critical. If the can is empty, it's not doing anything to catch the vaporized fluids from crankcase. I have found cans with an inlet tube with baffling at the top and almost runs the length of the can internally with relief holes to be the most effective. I presume this can has some type of baffling at the top of the can?

This is the design I am referring to..

25ks875.jpg

Last edited:

cmsnake

Established Member
There must be a reason Ford allows oil to track back through the intake if they havnt corrected this after all these years. Any suggestions?

scott_0

Established Member
I need to get one of these or maybe just get a pair, nice review

Users who are viewing this thread