SVTPerformance Quantifies the Effectiveness of the JLT Oil Separator

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

We recently took a little road trip to Virginia International Raceway in the 2012 Coyote Powered SVTP Mustang GT. This was well over a 500 mile round trip, and we did it in one day. The ride to VIR and back gave us an opportunity to run a little experiment with the JLT Oil Separator on the SVTP GT. We had done an update article in the past about the effectiveness of the JLP Oil Sep, but this time it was going to be a bit different. This trip was basically going to just be 500 miles of highway driving. It’s basically the easiest practical driving scenario you can have with a car, so it would be really interesting to see how much engine oil that the motor would ingest through the intake on such a drive. Follow along with the pics below, I think you’ll be surprised:

We started off with a freshly cleaned, oil free, catch-can.

JLT_Oil_Sep_Update_VIR_2013_001.jpg

We screwed the bottom of the separator back on and went for a ~540 mile drive.

JLT_Oil_Sep_Update_VIR_2013_002.jpg

The total trip was 542.6 miles.

JLT_Oil_Sep_Update_VIR_2013_006.jpg

All in a little less than nine hours.

JLT_Oil_Sep_Update_VIR_2013_005.jpg

After the trip this is what we found.

JLT_Oil_Sep_Update_VIR_2013_003.jpg

I'm relieved to know this didn't find its way into the engine.

JLT_Oil_Sep_Update_VIR_2013_004.jpg

It was time to break out the lab equipment and see how much oil we had collected.

JLT_Oil_Sep_Update_VIR_2013_008.jpg

After driving 540 miles the JLT Oil Sep contained near-as-makes-no-difference seven milliliters.

JLT_Oil_Sep_Update_VIR_2013_009.jpg

It may not seem like a lot but the engine spit out this much oil under the easiest driving most cars ever experience. Had we thrown in a few WOT pulls or a little track time I'm sure this amount would have easily been doubled.

JLT_Oil_Sep_Update_VIR_2013_010.jpg

If you're interested in learning more about oil separators, and why you do not want engine oil to be ingested by your intake, check out the following article.

SVTPerformance Separation Anxiety : JLT Oil Separator Review

Special Thanks To:

JLT Performance

StacyStangs Photography

-SID297:beer:

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
Wow, definitely looks like a future investment for me. With the new 5.0 engine you only need one for the passenger side correct?

Last edited:

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
Wow, definitely looks like a future investment for me. With the new 5.0 engine you only need one for the passenger side correct?

I believe they make them for both sides but yes the passenger side is the side where the most oil would be collected.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

We ran one on the driver's side for a few thousand miles and never collected a single drop of oil. Even to this day there isn't even a film of oil in the hose we run on that side.

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
Just put one on my car recently. I collected almost that much as well (over ~1,000 miles).

The quality is great as well

NuclearPower

Established Member
I know that JLT is/has redesigned the can, but for the GT500 folks the JLT's did not work very well. Others worked much better. For me personally I had JLTs but changed them out for Bob's oil catch can. For my 2012 GT500 over 5000 miles the JLT collected about 4 drops. The Bob's collects about 1 teaspoon per 750-1000 miles. BTW I use Amsoil also.

My only point is to be aware of differences between engines, oils used, etc. I would love to see a direct comparison between some catch cans, but JLT and Bob's are both good vendors and members on SVT. They are both fantastic to deal with.

Tucker

Correction,
We did not redesign the can and the JLT on the 5.0 and many others works great and as good as any others I'd be comfortable saying.
The GT500 set up requires a new filter which is in the works.

The air flow on the GT500 kit is different than other applications we have and once the new filter is added results like this are to be accepted.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Correction,
We did not redesign the can and the JLT on the 5.0 and many others works great and as good as any others I'd be comfortable saying.
The GT500 set up requires a new filter which is in the works.

The air flow on the GT500 kit is different than other applications we have and once the new filter is added results like this are to be accepted.

That's basically the results we have found as well.

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
I dont have a gt500 or anything. But my 03 cobra JLT sep. Doesn't catch anything. Been driving with it for over 1000 miles. Only some oil vapors on the inside. Kinda disappointed

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
i dont know if jay will read this. I heard the fitting had broken on some of the catches? Have you fixed this? or was it never a problem? im intereseted in getting one.

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
Hey Sid. What oil weight are you running in the 5.0? I switched from 5W20 to 10W30 in my '12 GT/CS and the infamous "tick" disappeared plus the engine virtually burns no oil.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
i dont know if jay will read this. I heard the fitting had broken on some of the catches? Have you fixed this? or was it never a problem? im intereseted in getting one.

The fittings are billet aluminum, they're not going to break.

Good write up

Hey Sid. What oil weight are you running in the 5.0? I switched from 5W20 to 10W30 in my '12 GT/CS and the infamous "tick" disappeared plus the engine virtually burns no oil.

5w30 Royal Purple HPS

Tucker

I dont have a gt500 or anything. But my 03 cobra JLT sep. Doesn't catch anything. Been driving with it for over 1000 miles. Only some oil vapors on the inside. Kinda disappointed
We have had great success on the 03 Cobra kits.
1000 miles isn't much driving, but you should see some oil. Check to see if your PCV is going into the side with the filter, if not, flip the seaparator around and you'll be good.

:shrug: Your on the forums all the time, you haven't seen our posts about the aluminum fittings we have been using since Aug 2011?
That's odd, but yes, we have upgraded the straight fittings to aluminum and the angled to glass filled plastic nearly 2 years ago and have been replacing any broken fittings for free ever since.

If anyone needs help with anything, just email me direct.

Thanks
Jay

Users who are viewing this thread