SVTPerformance Quantifies the Effectiveness of the JLT Oil Separator

RLB01

Established Member
Have GT 500 installed a JLT catch can about two years ago. The product had miserable performance only collecting a few drops in 1000 miles. Replace with Bob's catch can and the difference was like day and night with the Bob's catching a lot of oil in 1000 miles.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
glad to see its working nice. I notice the autos in N/A forum don't seem to get much oil at all if any. so it seems the manuals pull more of the oil.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
We have had great success on the 03 Cobra kits.
1000 miles isn't much driving, but you should see some oil. Check to see if your PCV is going into the side with the filter, if not, flip the seaparator around and you'll be good.

:shrug: Your on the forums all the time, you haven't seen our posts about the aluminum fittings we have been using since Aug 2011?
That's odd, but yes, we have upgraded the straight fittings to aluminum and the angled to glass filled plastic nearly 2 years ago and have been replacing any broken fittings for free ever since.

If anyone needs help with anything, just email me direct.

Thanks
Jay

lol i know. but i saw a couple people posted about it. thank you. i figured you would have had to update them.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
glad to see its working nice. I notice the autos in N/A forum don't seem to get much oil at all if any. so it seems the manuals pull more of the oil.

maybe harder downshifting. power pressure on the motor.

vfast

Established Member
i installed mine on my '11 the day after we got it...works great...cars with a few miles on them without this will start to see a puff of smoke when you start the car up

Txroughneck

Termin8U
Established Member
i have a jlt catch can that was installed before i got my 03 kenne bell cobra. Catch can is on the Drivers side head, But the passenger side head pcv opening has a hose going from the valve cover to an opening on my intake, is that bad?

Tucker

:shrug:
Never seen a single post about autos vs manuals.
The engine PCV is no different and we have used it on several autos locally with the same results.

PM me some links to these autos with not much oil please.

8krdline

Established Member
We have had great success on the 03 Cobra kits.
1000 miles isn't much driving, but you should see some oil. Check to see if your PCV is going into the side with the filter, if not, flip the seaparator around and you'll be good.

:shrug: Your on the forums all the time, you haven't seen our posts about the aluminum fittings we have been using since Aug 2011?
That's odd, but yes, we have upgraded the straight fittings to aluminum and the angled to glass filled plastic nearly 2 years ago and have been replacing any broken fittings for free ever since.

If anyone needs help with anything, just email me direct.

Thanks
Jay

I can vouch for this. I had fittings break about 6 months ago on my 2+ yr old can and new ones were sent to me without question.

SVTRAT

Banned
That an interesting experiment. I was going to do the catch can with nothing going back to the intake, but he was strongly against it because the PVC system needs a source of vacuum to work effectively.

Going JLT route.

Thanks you

20redfire03

Established Member
So the JLT filters for 03-04 Cobra actually collects oil? I thought it only prevented the oil from getting past and then let the only drain back down. Or am I missing a different JLT product?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
That an interesting experiment. I was going to do the catch can with nothing going back to the intake, but he was strongly against it because the PVC system needs a source of vacuum to work effectively.

Going JLT route.

Thanks you

I never have liked an open PCV system, not a fan of the smell.

So the JLT filters for 03-04 Cobra actually collects oil? I thought it only prevented the oil from getting past and then let the only drain back down. Or am I missing a different JLT product?

I think that's a different manufacturer, but I can't think of the name.

20redfire03

Established Member
I think that's a different manufacturer, but I can't think of the name.

Just looked on JLTs site and see they have a kit for 03-04 Cobras now. I believe what I was thinking of was the JLT Pre-Filter.

clean92lx

Established Member
I have 10,000 miles on my car now and I'm going to get one of these ASAP, but I'm wondering if I should be worried about oil that has already gotten into the intake? I drive my car pretty hard but at the same time I'm very anal/protective about my car so I'm a little concerned that I didn't do this sooner...

After a high rpm blast, I can actually smell what seems to be oil in the cabin of the car.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have 10,000 miles on my car now and I'm going to get one of these ASAP, but I'm wondering if I should be worried about oil that has already gotten into the intake? I drive my car pretty hard but at the same time I'm very anal/protective about my car so I'm a little concerned that I didn't do this sooner...

After a high rpm blast, I can actually smell what seems to be oil in the cabin of the car.

Better late than never.

Users who are viewing this thread