SVB is Now In the Hands of the FDIC

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
To the point about bank run. This is happening even if you do not see depositors line up in the street.

I have had call after call talking with groups that we finance about cash balances. When we fund, it goes into an account that our borrowers then use to disburse funds to their borrowers.

In normal times I did not care about this. Now I am having conversation after conversation requesting balance amounts, where it resides, when they will sweep it, what are triggers to return cash to us, etc etc

Seen Goodfellas? Remember the "**** You, Pay Me" line? This is the tone of my discussions.

"I think your balance is too high. **** you, pay me."

"I think your balance is outstanding for too long. **** you, pay me."

"I don't like the bank that you use. **** you, pay me."

etc.

This has the effect of sucking capital out of banks and into treasuries and money markets.

Everyone in my position is doing this as we speak.

MG0h3

Established Member
Yes bonds trade just like stocks. In fact the agency mortgage bond market is the largest market in the world. The stock market is a pimple on the ass of bond markets.

if you are interested

All makes sense now.

Even though I read and you said they were liquidating the 30yr bonds at a loss, I didn’t quite grasp how they were doing that.

Now I know why all the big talking heads have been saying FED will stop raising and start cutting for the last 6-9 months. They were upside down and praying for a miracle.

Ooopsie

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah. Screw the equity and bonds. I was just wondering if nothing was done and they liquidated everything for the depositors, how much of a haircut would the depositors have to take. IMO they should be the last ones, but should take some type of haircut due to their lack of due diligence on where they keep their money.

This is a deal that I saw over the weekend. Obvs didnt get done because of the backstop.

1678829236955.png

q6543

Established Member
Apparently FED just came out and said ALL deposits are fully backs at all US banks.

So definitely a “nothing to see here, move along” moment. From their perspective.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
$73,450,000.00 given to BLM and related causes. **** ‘em!

While their insolvency isn’t solely related to their wokeness, there is definitely a correlation with left leaning tech and the quickness and willingness of the government to come in and bail them out.

Also:
“Then there’s this: In its proxy statement, SVB notes that besides 91% of their board being independent and 45% women, they also have “1 Black,” “1 LGBTQ+” and “2 Veterans.” I’m not saying 12 white men would have avoided this mess, but the company may have been distracted by diversity demands.”

Last edited:

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Apparently FED just came out and said ALL deposits are fully backs at all US banks.

So definitely a “nothing to see here, move along” moment. From their perspective.

I guess every one is too big to fail? Capitalism is built on failure, so that's over now.

Last edited:

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
And apparently Comrade Newsome failed to disclose his ties to SVB while lobbying for them being bailed out.

What a good ruler.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
This gal has a good piece on what happened. Some crazy charts.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
The "all clear" lasted a day. Credit Suisse is the next vic

VegasMichael

Established Member

Credit Suisse has been a shit show for a while now. Just saw on Bloomberg that European bank stocks have been halted.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Credit Suisse has been a shit show for a while now. Just saw on Bloomberg that European bank stocks have been halted.

follow bond yields. these are epic moves. the vol at the front end of the curve in the last week is historic.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
and yes, I know all about CS. we had an ISDA with them but have not traded with them for years. they are a basket case but they also have the same balance sheet issues that SVB and every other bank has.

It is getting to be kind of strange to read commentary on Twitter that it is isolated and idiosyncratic and just happens to be a coincidence that

UK pension funds are blowing up

Signature bank blowing up

SVB bank blowing up

Republic, Pacwest, Vertex about to blow up

CS about to blow up

Insurance companies ?????

They all hold the same shit in their balance sheet and the macro environment affects each in exactly the same way.

But it's not systemic

VegasMichael

Established Member
and yes, I know all about CS. we had an ISDA with them but have not traded with them for years. they are a basket case but they also have the same balance sheet issues that SVB and every other bank has.

It is getting to be kind of strange to read commentary on Twitter that it is isolated and idiosyncratic and just happens to be a coincidence that

UK pension funds are blowing up

Signature bank blowing up

SVB bank blowing up

Republic, Pacwest, Vertex about to blow up

CS about to blow up

Insurance companies ?????

They all hold the same shit in their balance sheet and the macro environment affects each in exactly the same way.

But it's not systemic
I forgot all about the float that insurance companies carry and invest before paying out claims. Imagine now if there was some sort of large natural disaster....

I saw B of A took in 15 billion dollars of new deposits the past few days. Not really much of a lifeline if they need it though.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member

Quickly.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread